Ordered my iPad last week

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by aUTfan, Mar 18, 2010.

1. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

Just wondering if anyone else did? I have never made a purchase like this before (bought something really early in it's existence)

It just so happens I'm in the market for a new computer and think this thing will suit me really well.

I can give some feedback when i get it (April 5th) if anyone is interested.
    I bought the $499 version with the dock and case.

2. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

I'd like to know your impressions of it when you get a chance to use it a bit. I'm holding off a little while but plan to get one for my two young boys to use for their homeschool stuff. The iPad will be a game-changer on several fronts, in my opinion, and will get much better over time as the market matures.

3. brntorng

brntorng 2,500+ Posts

The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced the iPad is going to be a huge success among users who use email, the web and light applications for books, magazines, music, video, and pictures, if that. The market for this class of user is huge. If you think about it, how many people do you know who barely manage to use the simplest features of their PC? Or even a Mac for that matter. Those of you who are very capable of maintaining a PC or Mac: how many friends and family members hit you up for help on the simplest of computer problems? In my family it's almost all of them on both sides of the family. Almost all of them would be thrilled with the ease of use of an iPad, and they're so out of touch with technology they don't even know it yet. It's going to be a huge success. That's why I'm holding my Apple stock.

I'm a pretty heavy computer user and it occurs to me that I could almost get by with only my iPhone if it had a bigger screen. Sounds like an iPad would do the trick.

4. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Agree with brntorng. Computers are still too confusing for people who are not "technical" -- especially older folks who haven't grown up around this stuff. This is one of those prime markets for something like the iPad. I think one of the goals with this device is to abstract away some of the complexity, like dealing with file systems.

There are millions of people who just want to do some email, web browsing, listen to music, and share photos and video. If the iPad really can deliver this with a good experience and limited complexity, it will be a hit with that crowd alone. The time is right for a machine with total ease-of-use and a very low learning curve.

5. brntorng

brntorng 2,500+ Posts

Eliminating the file system for users is huge. There's no reason most users should have to deal with it, but they've had to forever. Apple has changed that.

The other key is application management. On an iPhone (or iPod Touch or iPad) it's trivial. Last week I had to install a couple of new apps on a PC to support a consumer item I bought. It took an hour by the time I found and installed all the supporting Windows crap that was needed and I know what I'm doing. No way a non-technical consumer could have done it. Macs are typically pretty simple for app installation, but still aren't as easy as an iPhone and its siblings.

Also, before long you won't need to sync an iPhone, Touch, or iPad to a computer or even own a traditional computer. It will be synced to an Apple server. You won't need to have large local storage, either. Most of your files will be stored on servers. Think about it. How many copies of a song or movie does the world need? One for every owner? Talk about a waste of storage. Or do the owners really just need the right to share one copy that gets streamed to them on demand? That makes a lot more sense as the communications infrastructure continues to improve.

It's gonna be huge I tell 'ya. Huge.

6. MaduroUTMB

MaduroUTMB 2,500+ Posts

Apple is a toy company, and they use computer parts to build them. That's not a knock against Apple- they fill their niche quite well, and they serve a real purpose. However, they are not in the computer business.

7. brntorng

brntorng 2,500+ Posts

[​IMG] Your definition of "computer" is very narrow. Inside every Mac are the same components that "real" computers use. They're just a lot better at making it easier to use. I dare say they're far more advanced at building computers than their competition.

8. Dogbert

Dogbert 500+ Posts

9. zork

zork 2,500+ Posts

NEW HTML vs flash or in spite of it?

10. JohnnyM

JohnnyM 2,500+ Posts

11. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

12. LITNIN HORN

LITNIN HORN 1,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

There are some PC's out there that match up to Mac's in the computing industry, but as a rule their cost is even greater than a Mac, they are more susceptible to viruses and their lifespan is usually less.

That said Mac's aren't perfect...but after thirty plus years of owning one, and using it for pleasure, personal and business, my list of problems is way shorter than my friends who have had PC's for all of those years.

I really would like to know what it is that makes one believe a PC is a computer and a MAC is only a toy. Lack of knowledge? Hard headedness?

[​IMG]

13. wherzwaldo

wherzwaldo 1,000+ Posts

14. LITNIN HORN

LITNIN HORN 1,000+ Posts

waldo...as a rule
    means in general or most of the time.

[​IMG]

15. Dogbert

Dogbert 500+ Posts

Macs suck. Businesses will never buy them: Mac bad

16. brntorng

brntorng 2,500+ Posts

The shift I'm seeing among friends, family, and colleagues from PCs and non-Apple cell phones to Apple products is staggering. Heck, even a colleague who has been strongly anti-Apple for as long as I can remember got a company iPhone and loves it. Now he's paying attention to what their MacBooks can do and is talking about getting one. I was stunned. If he switches, anyone is a candidate. Amazing what hands-on experience with Apple products will do to old biases.

17. Tailgate

Tailgate 500+ Posts

18. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa 500+ Posts

19. A. BETTIK

A. BETTIK 1,000+ Posts

Resolution is too low for the screen or the screen is too large for the resolution. I also don't like the border around the screen, it looks like wasted space. And no phone? Man, I was really looking forward to holding that thing up to my ear like a boom box or brick phone from yester year. Really.

20. brntorng

brntorng 2,500+ Posts

21. wherzwaldo

wherzwaldo 1,000+ Posts

22. txtxyeha

txtxyeha 250+ Posts

23. txtxyeha

txtxyeha 250+ Posts

Sort of a thread hijack, but I am considering placing my order for an iPad. I use my iPhone a great deal for its Kindle reader and occasionally to watch a movie. Besides waiting a year for the price to go down, why else should I postpone this purchase?

24. wherzwaldo

wherzwaldo 1,000+ Posts

25. badexcuse

badexcuse 1,000+ Posts

Walt Mossberg of the WSJ who has been known to make/break tech gadgets is glowing over it.

Mossberg on the iPad

26. mia1994

mia1994 1,000+ Posts

All of my complaints with this device ultimately come back to price and form factor. Which is to say, unlike the iPhone/Touch it is not an 'everywhere' device, and considering what it is capable of doing it is very expensive. If someone dropped one in my lap and promised to cover the monthly's as well, I'm sure that I could not only find a use for it, but enjoy the hell out of the experience. No one is questioning Apple's aesthetic or skills as a device manufacturer, but I'm still not sure how to reconcile dropping twice the cost of a netbook (for the cheapest sku of the iPad, x4 for the most expensive and that's before the monthly fee) on a unit which is far less functional. What I keep coming back to is every time I read an article where the reviewer is gushing over it, when they say who will buy this they identify a demographic that they are not a part of (grandparents, people who don't have iPhones/Touches, etc).

Its functionality as an internet device, a productivity device and as an ereader are all hobbled to a degree, either by design or manufacturer requirement. It is the quintessential "in between" gadget, but it is significantly more costly than the things it is in between. It is shiny and has an Apple on it so it is going to sell some units, but I still don't think I understand why this device is a winner. This device seems to complete directly for market share with the iPhone/Touch, and it is unclear to me why anyone who already has one of those devices would need to purchase this one.

Anywho, we'll see what happens I'm predicting better performance than the AppleTV, but in that vein. We'll find out soon enough.

27. mia1994

mia1994 1,000+ Posts

The Link

This review kinda hits at how I feel about the device, though I probably would have talked a little more about the price.

28. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

In reply to:

29. brntorng

brntorng 2,500+ Posts

As great as the early reviews of the iPad have been today, techies more than anyone should realize that it wasn't designed for everyone, especially them. More like about 80 or 90% of everyone.

30. rreading

rreading 100+ Posts

Ordered mine; just disappointed that I will have to wait to get the 3g model delivered. Can't wait, although my wife is at least as interested as I am (which never used to be true about computers).

This article is essentially hyperbole - but I wonder how true it will be:The Link