OSU...do you agree?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Denmark, Jan 12, 2015.

1. Denmark

Denmark 500+ Posts

"No question about it now: Ohio State is the truest champion big-time football has ever crowned"

Ralph D. Russo AP College football writer

I didn't see the game, but how can he make such a statement, when there was much discussion as to whether TCU or Baylor should have been in, and also because this years champion has one loss?

2. yelladawgdem

yelladawgdem 2,500+ Posts

No I do not. This produced a more political and water downed result than the BCS ever did. We have endured a decade of ESPN fawning over God's Conference (with it's SWC, Big 8 rejects). Now we will hear the greatness of the B1G and Urban "I recruit serial killers" Meyer.

3. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

True Champions don't lose, EVER

4. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

5. Golden Steer

Golden Steer 250+ Posts

Well, there's a difference between saying that the champion proved they deserved the title, as OSU certainly did this year with upset wins against both the #1 in Bama and a Duck team that 90% of this board thought was going to crush them, and a champion who is just head and shoulders above any other team that, or in other years.

Teams from the first catagory would include OSU, FSU last year, the Bama team that destoyed ND, the two Gator title teams, and Auburn.

But truly awesome title teams are a different grouping - teams that were truly a power to behold. Last team like that was actually the 2005 Texas team - filled top to bottom with fantastic players.

The 2001 Miami team was also really good, and the 95 Husker team.

Actually, the 2002 OSU team was really good as well, full of future NFL stars (as was Miami), but that team's win is dimmed in the minds of a lot of people by the pass interference call that (correctly) kept the game going at the end.

6. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

Come talk to me when you beat a defending national champion with two Heisman winners and a 34 game win streak on basically their home turf and you're undefeated in The Shoe at night [​IMG]

7. Jim Bob

Jim Bob 1,000+ Posts

OSU clearly earned the top spot in the four team playoff, but TCU would have given them a better game. The Froggies' front seven doesn't get pushed around as easily as the Ducks' did.

8. Golden Steer

Golden Steer 250+ Posts

Oh Lord, the crap starts:

Monday - The Ducks are going to destroy Ohio State!!! Go Ducks!!!

Tuesday - TCU would (should) have played Ohio State - they'd have beaten them!! OSU is not really the champion.

9. Owlhorn

Owlhorn 500+ Posts

In the sense of truest compared to the past, I say yes. Instead of someone's opinion picking two, picking 4 is more accurate, then they had to beat the two top teams to win it. I say yes.

10. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

Ohio St. is the true champion, baylor didn't have any business in the playoff and proved it when they lost their bowl game.
    In my opinion TCU would have done better, something i would have loved to see. Hopefully TCU can take care of business next year and get an opportunity........and Texas is better too!

11. crizistre

crizistre 500+ Posts

Not sure about truest. Would have been nice to see an eight team playoff with TCU, Baylor, and Mich St. in the mix

12. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

TCU co-national champions. Really though until those idiots realize that there will be 4 up to 7 one loss teams each year they can't have a playoffs for only 4 of them. Also you can't have 5 major conference and only four slots. Once every ten years it might workout that only 4 actually deserve those four spots but that will always question teams that looked like they deserved a spot.

13. Joe2005

Joe2005 500+ Posts

14. Joe2005

Joe2005 500+ Posts

Last year, your choices for #8 would have been (all of these teams were 10-2):

#8 Mizzou
    #9 South Carolina
    #10 Oregon
    #11 OU (crushed #3 Alabama in a bowl game)
    #12 Clemson (beat #7 Ohio State in a bowl game)
    #13 Okie State

Whichever ones you left out would have had a case for that spot, and as OU and Clemson demonstrated, could have advanced.

15. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

OSU was playing the best football at the end of the year. I'll give them that title. This shows that teams improve throughout the year. Judging them on a game in September for an award handed out in January is crazy. Bump the playoff to 8 teams allowing teams a loss and maybe 2 if they dominate the rest of the games. Only then will the playoff at the end of the season truly have the best teams.

16. Bill in Sinton

Bill in Sinton 5,000+ Posts

Just confirms they should pick at least the top 8 teams for the playoffs.

17. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

What you do in September should count as much as what you do in November, that is the problem.

There should never be a two loss Champion in College football, LSU drove me nuts that year, the playoff should never get above 4 teams and we need the computers back to help pick the teams. This committee thing just reaks of corruption, if not this year in the future......

18. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

19. Dirty Martin

Dirty Martin 500+ Posts

Should the national champion be the team who had the best regular season or the one who got hot in the playoff?

20. dang-str8

dang-str8 1,000+ Posts

Now more than ever I feel confident that there was a true champion. There may be more accurate ways to mark who truly is the best team on paper, but the truth is that the best team doesn't always perform on the field... Last night OSU took out the ducks and there was no doubt they dominated... regardless of what the rankings were or what stats showed...

21. Broken Spoke

Broken Spoke 100+ Posts

True champion with a duchebag coach with no class. Take a knee,
    the win, & the trophy. You don't have to shove it up the ducks rear.

22. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

To me College football is an entire resume, not just getting hot or jelling at the end of the year....sounds like most people have a different opinion, so be it.

23. dang-str8

dang-str8 1,000+ Posts

The beauty of March Madness is that any cinderella has a shot at any team... I think college football needed this... I know it's still the elite that would get picked in the top 4, but at least it won't always be overrated SEC or other unworthy teams... FSU was undefeated and they looked pathetic most of the way... No way they were the best team...

24. 14tokihorn

14tokihorn 1,000+ Posts

Sounds to me like he's making a tOSU the same as a triple crown winner. A Thoroughbred and last nights winner just won 3 bak-to-back big-gies .

....It's over, lets just put this thing out to pasture.

25. Bill in Sinton

Bill in Sinton 5,000+ Posts

Joe2015 has a good point but better to have a dispute at no. 8 than at no. 4.

26. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

this is the kind of yawner, stupid remark that sports journalists make all the time. OSU has the best college offensive line I have seen and a superb running back to run through the holes and a monster qb who can throw long or kill you with his feet. Intermediate passes, jury is still out.

But...............Oregon was playing without a lot of its players and still had a shot.

OSU had the best team at the end of the season.

The more teams in the playoff and the less likelihood there is that the best team overall wins. Too many injuries, etc.

27. jachorn

jachorn < 25 Posts

Do you think the SF Giants are the true world series champions? They finished the regular season several games behind the dodgers but got hot at the end of the season. If they only took division winners, the dodgers or cardinals would have played in the world series and we would have missed the performance by Mad Bum. It happens in pro football frequently, remember the 10-6 Giants beating the 16-0 Pats? I vote for a 10-11 game reg season and an 8 team playoff.

28. Shark4

Shark4 2,500+ Posts

29. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

The clock was running when State was running their plays inside the 5 when they scored the last TD. They could have and should have taken a knee and run out the clock.

It was low class to shove the last td in; and a totally gratuitous shot to the gut of a team that was clearly done.

30. IvanDiabloHorn

IvanDiabloHorn 1,000+ Posts

I agree that he should have taken a knee. Urban would probably been given better press for taking a knee.
    Texas(Mack) took a knee at the 2010 Nebraska game when he could have run up the score in the final minute. When we were walking to our car in Lincoln, numerous Nebraska fans came up and told us how Texas had class and showed class in taking the knee when the game was decided. The right move was to take a knee.

That being said, I can't remember Oregon tapping the brakes on inferior opponents. So maybe they got what was coming to them, but Urban could have helped his and his school image by taking a knee.