OSU requires season ticket purchase for Bedlam

Discussion in 'In The Stands' started by Mr. Orange, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Mr. Orange

Mr. Orange 100+ Posts

Well I guess we now know how they plan on filling up T Boone Pickens stadium.

newsok.com/article/3198694

Even if some desperate Sooners suck it up and go along with this scam, they sure as hell won't be showing up the other 5 games. There will be more empty seats in Stillwater than during the 4th quarter of a game at Kyle field.

2. MikeUT00

MikeUT00 Guest

How exactly is this a scam? Practically every major program, including us, does the exact same thing. Even Central Florida did it this past season because of their game with us. In the event all tickets aren't sold through season sales, then they will release them as individual seats.

Oklahoma State is not yet a big boy program, but they are doing their best to one day become one. New stadium, new ticket prices and policies ... they are just trying to keep up with the Jones.

3. Lat22

Lat22 1,000+ Posts

They will never, ever be able to fill up that new stadium.

4. Mr. Orange

Mr. Orange 100+ Posts

Yeah, well maybe scam was not the correct word to use since they really aren't trying to hide their intentions, but it reeks of a program desperate to sell tickets to a stadium they expanded way beyond what they require. The reality is that they will probably sell a shitload of tickets to ticket brokers who will sell the OU tickets for a nice price and dump the remaining tix on the market for next to nothing.

You can claim that all big-time programs including Texas do this, but I would disagree. It might be necessary for you to buy season tickets in Austin to guarantee that you get a ticket to the games you want to see, but that is because we sell out most every game. There is a difference between those two scenarios and its not that subtle IMO. OSU is including itself with the UCFs of the world, not the "big-time" programs. Its certainly within their rights to do as they wish, I just think it makes it clear they are not optimistic they will be selling out the stadium on a regular basis.

5. Handler XIII

Handler XIII 1,000+ Posts

I know since at least 1990 that you have to buy season tickets to get TX-OU tickets. I don't see a difference.

Also, I think this practice ia fairly common, for example in MLB the Rockies make you buy a 3 game package for series with Red Sox, Yankees, etc. It consist of one 1 marquee game, and 2 with the Royals and Devil Rays for example. This year they are doing the same thing with their opening day game.

6. Bernard

Bernard 1,000+ Posts

There's no way they let those seats sit empty if soemone wants to buy them. At some point, when they've sold as many season tickets as they can, they'll start selling an smaller package with OU and Baylor (or whoever). If they don't sell all of those, then OU will be sold individually.

Texas fans are in no position to criticize another school for trying to maximize revenue.

Bernard