OSU @ Texas 01/28/2023

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by brnkj, Jan 27, 2023.

1. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I will say that the OSU coach has been very impressive in her first season. However, it's time for revenge!
    :cursing::e-fire::e-hookem::e-basketball:

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2023
  2. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Another good team who proved to us they can beat us if we don't show up 100%. I’ve come to realize that where you are ranked has more to do with this conference than with the caliber of team. I think we win this one. But I’m taking nothing for granted.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Bucksgal

Bucksgal 500+ Posts

TEXAS! Time to shine like the 1st Place Big12 team you are!!:bullseye:

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

FIGHT! :hookem:

• Like Like x 5
  5. 1sahorn

1sahorn 1,000+ Posts

From the Gates of Helotes:

¡¡¡¡ TEXAS !!!!

• Like Like x 3
  6. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

FIGHT!!!

• Like Like x 2
  7. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

TEXAS!!! :bevo:

• Like Like x 1
  8. GameOfHorns

GameOfHorns 250+ Posts

!!!!!FI-I-I-I-IGHT!!!!!

• Like Like x 2
  9. UTExinPDX

UTExinPDX 1,000+ Posts

Let’s go Texas! :bevo:

10. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

OMG this sh_t with the clocks is RIDICULOUS. :smh:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

So that’s why espn score tracker says delayed? WTH? Not good

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

It's a clock issue. Geez. It happens.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. cynt

cynt 1,000+ Posts

I really wish Rori would not take charges. If she gets hurt, we're screwed. Is getting a charge really worth losing our star point guard? You can win games without taking charges. I'm really concerned about the long term wear and tear on their bodies as well as the internal damage and head injuries from falling on the floor.

OK stepping off of my soapbox.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Yeah, in a brand new gazillion-dollar facility...
    :rolleyes1:

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

We played well in stretches, but had quite a few defensive laps. Not our best game, but certainly not our worst. Most importantly it was good enough to win. Hats off to OSU they fought us to the end and never gave up.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  16. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

Crazy game. Get the win and get out of here.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. Bucksgal

Bucksgal 500+ Posts

Shaylee had the tough job of guarding their 3pt shooter. Got beat more than once. Gaston couldn't keep up with her either. Great game for Jones. Thought Morris was particularly good tonight. Overall, we did enough to win, but I think we played better on Wednesday. On the road we go...and taking that business attitude with us!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. chuckhorn

chuckhorn 25+ Posts

OSU is someone I hope we don't see again in the Big 12 Tourney.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  19. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Strangest game ever. Both teams shooting lights out with almost no fouls called until OSU started intentionally fouling in the final 90 seconds. If you take away the 4 intentionals, we had 10 and they had 13. That’s the way you call a game!

Please give us that all-female ref squad for every game!

We shot 53%, had 5 players in double figures, 14 more rebounds and only 10 turnovers. It felt like it should have been a blowout. Their 10 threes (52%) kept them in the game. OSU is better than their record.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2023
  20. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Gladly take the win to split the series.

If we did better than 8-15 from the free throw line, the game is probably not as close down the stretch. It's not that just one player skewed the stats; it's that 5 players (all except Sonya Morris) missed at least one free throw.

• Agree Agree x 3
  21. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
    • Dee Kantner
    • Kim Hobbs
    • Maggie Tieman

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  24. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Have to admit I'm shocked at what a good 3-point shooting team OSU is (best % in the Big 12). Their new coach getting that transfer from Villanova (Lior Garzon) is surprising; we need that type of tall stretch forward (in the mold of a 6'2 Heather Schreiber) who can bury three-pointers.

• Agree Agree x 7
  25. hornhonker

hornhonker 100+ Posts

That was excruciating! Grateful for the win!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  26. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

I wonder if the last two games and the lack of heavy whistles is a direct result of Vic's protest to the league office. Also, some regular refs not seen lately.

During that luncheon, Vic said two things. First, the crew that refereed the Alabama football game last fall was suspended for 3 weekends after that game. Second, so far this year, no ref team had been suspended for any games.

Makes you wonder.....

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  27. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

I'll post pictures and more details about what was going on with the clock(s) fiasco later. What did you see from your TVs? That way I don't repeat what you already saw on TV. And it was excruciating to sit there and watch them try to resolve the problem.

Later I thought, "Man, if Tech were here, there would be screaming at the table by Gerlich."

• Funny Funny x 7
  28. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Something odd happened today before the game began. Typically the assistant coaches are out there watching the warmups with student managers and the players running the drills. The HC, including Karen Aston, is typically never out on the court until the last minute when the introductions start.

But this time, with 3 minutes to go, Vic and his entire staff walk over to the OSU bench and proceed to shake hands with all the coaches and the support staff. It was....strange and I think the OSU staff had never had a team's coaches do that. They seemed confused when this finished.

Then you see the post game comments by Vic how he thinks the OSU coach should be coach of the year.

Odd. I don't know what their past history has been, if they ever had any. Like the Anti-Texas Tech situation.

• Like Like x 5
  29. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Andrea got like 10 updates from the refs as to what the issues were and next steps. Of course, there was plenty of time to report them. The OSU coach was very gracious something Gerlich knows nothing about. Vic was not a happy camper.

Stuff happens but this was a “if it can go wrong it will” moment. Had to feel for everyone involved (coaches, players, officials, Moody staff, the fans, announcers etc). Crazy stuff. Kudos to the players for regaining focus and moving in with the game when the time finally came.
    Put a backup system in the budget, this should never happen again anywhere near to this extent.

OSU is the #8 3pt shooting team in the country. Like someone else said, I’d rather not get a 3rd meeting with them this season.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  30. xdxmmxchxxl

xdxmmxchxxl 250+ Posts

Rori NEEDS to take charges, it is a huge catalyst to our team and she would not be Rori if she didn’t take them. I have never once seen a player have a serious injury from taking a charge, they get the wind knocked out of them(concussion like 1% of the time) and pop back up and carry on.

Also, the amount of times someone posts on here “oof rori shouldn’t play 40 minutes, rest her so she isn’t overworked” is ridiculous. Rori is a 20 year old elite athlete with great conditioning playing 40 minutes- it is what she wants and needs to do. It’s not that hard to recover from a full basketball game when you are in as great shape as she is; people making those comments on here must not understand how well conditioned and athletic players today are, ESPECIALLY our PG.
    Rori can play 40 minutes, Rori could play 60 minutes.

We have the best trainers/staff/recovery tools as probably anyone in the country. And the 72 hours time before she is back on the court is more than enough for her to recover, and I guarantee you she is not feeling the effects of the last game. Any fatigue a player in her condition would feel, is only mental.

Now… onto tonight’s game: OSU is an excellent 3PT shooting team and everyone counted them out at the beginning of the year, I think they were picked what, 7-9 in conference? I knew that was crap. If you took the time to evaluate their roster and look at the players coach Hoyt brought in it was crystal clear they would be very good.

This was such a fun offensive game to watch, we are just the better team, so we won. I am so proud of our team, our coach, and both our defensive and offensive schemes.

We had defensive lapses at times tonight but most of the game we were guarding them very closely and they still drained multiple midrange and 3’s. For most of the game, our defense was more than fine, BUT any team scores some points on us and a lot of you think our defense was just horrible.

That is not the case, they are a great offensive team. OSU shoots the BEST percentage from range in the conference, 38%. Them hitting shots was not a result of poor defense, it was a result of Lior Garzan and a couple other sharpshooters getting a modicum of space to shoot.

Some of you really need to start looking at matchup previews, boxscores, opponents stats, and teams schemes before you make comments on this board that are completely off base.

And YES i am replying to your comment @cynt but this is not directed at you.

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2023