OSU Texas Game Thread

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by dukesteer, Oct 31, 2020.

1. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

OMG ya'll....

OSSAI GETS THE GAME BALL !!

MONSTER PERFORMANCE TODAY!!!

:hookem::yippee::bow::fire::texasflag::bounce1:

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
  2. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

This is exactly correct. TH will never bring this program back and even if he miraculously did, I would still never support him.

Let me add a caveat. If Herman were to turn the corner and actually become a competent coach (which I sincerely doubt), I might “consider” supporting him if he apologized for throwing Longhorn Nation under the bus this summer, and conceded that in doing so he made a mistake which he regrets. (There’s no chance he would do that...)

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
  3. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Yep, he's a POS.

Standing by for the requisite Poop(s).

• poop poop x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Omniscient.one

Omniscient.one 500+ Posts

I’d bet on us in a rematch. And the officiating that cost us 3rd down stops is the equivalent of a turnover. They received many, many more calls plus some really boneheaded penalties, like roughing the passer on 3rd down, and Kerstetter hiking to his butt on a 3rd and short that cancel out their costly penalties. As far as the PI on Moore, it wasn’t even the most suspect of the game.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

We won the turnover battle 5-0 and had a special teams TD and still barely won. That's nuts just right there. I'm not buying the penalty thing. We had some **** calls go against us too. That looked about even to me.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Omniscient.one

Omniscient.one 500+ Posts

So what would you like? An asterisk?

• Like Like x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  7. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Jamison's punt return for a huge TD was probably the THE spark that lead toward winning the game today.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. LT

LT < 25 Posts

You need to be more respectful of both the players and coaches. Your comment respects neither and disrespects both. A comment like that is also not what we want our young men seeing. That is the type of crap our fans have to clean up.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Son of a Son

Son of a Son 1,000+ Posts

Neutral site, this was about a Top 10 at their house...

10. EDT

EDT 1,000+ Posts

LHABSOB,
    Sorry I did not see your post or I would not have said the same. Got a email showing LC and just responded.

11. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

The Johnny Manziel Bowl?

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. TheBeeman

TheBeeman 25+ Posts

Too many people want to blame Herman for losses but won’t give him credit for wins.

And lest I get marked as some sort of Herman stock-holder, I don’t love the guy (I’m still deciding).
    I’m just tired of us always wanting the next shiny thing.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  13. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Gotta disagree. The issue is that he is winning at a rate of 62.5%, including the bowl games. Additionally, he loses most of the important games, starting with a 1-4 record against Oklahoma, or a 20% winning clip.

Herman is simply not getting it done in Austin, even though the university has given him everything, and everyone he has requested.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Texas didn’t win this game Okie State lost it. It’s just that simple. They flat out choked this game away when they should’ve won by 20. I’ll take it because I will always want Texas to win but any honest assessment of this game begins and ends with Okie State flat out gave it away.

• Disagree Disagree x 7
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Duck Dodgers

Duck Dodgers 1,000+ Posts

His won lost record against OU is dismal.

Still, with a B12 title this year it’s a good season. No title should mean no more Herman. If he can’t win one after 4 year in a down year for OU, when will he ever?

see what happens, school should decide in December

16. LHABSOB

LHABSOB 1,000+ Posts

Ha! No apologies needed. We have the same sense of humor...

• Like Like x 1
  17. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

When you win it kind of messes with your head. We were plus five in turnovers and had a special teams touchdown but yet it had to go into overtime.
    For us to be victorious in our remaining games we will need to come out ahead in the turnover battle plus some good breaks similar to this game.
    I know we will beat Kansas and we may beat Kansas State, which will be close, the other two we will need good Fortune with turnovers.
    Glad our defense had some spark today, Ossai was tremendous.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. MUCHO

MUCHO 100+ Posts

Fair warning — I lean to wanting to support Herman if for no other reason because he’s the coach of the Longhorns and I have bled orange since I was 4 years old selling extra tickets at Scholz. He’s the coach of our team until he’s not, I figure supporting him (and the team) is likely better than the alternative.

HOWEVAH, I tuned into the game with 3 minutes left, which was our last possession in regulation and I was a bit baffled at the play calling, just like I have been all season in certain situations. The plain vanilla runs up the middle on when they have 8 men in the box is just not going going to cut it. We were at friend’s house, and I didn’t get to see replays, but how about a trap or a counter, or even a middle school level cross-buck. And, the play-action on 2nd down on the last series was a great idea but the play design seemed lacking to me as it appeared the primary receiver was the SE. Corner backs playing man — as OSU was — are going to guard the SE irrespective of the play fake. My question was — where was our TE? As USC did to us in LA, a play fake with a tight end release up field is a virtual gimme.

And then on defense on OSU’s last drive, I was so frustrated by the 3 man rush on the first few plays. Felt to me that we were almost conceding the FG.

But apart from my arm-chair QBing, it was a great win for the team. And a great win for Herman. Exciting night all around. I know I certainly came off the couch when Ossai sacked Spencer.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

We actually outplayed OSU. The only thing that kept them in it was all the blown coverages By our secondary. Our Secondary was confused and just let people wide open, but the effort was there.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. zztx1

zztx1 100+ Posts

The problem with Herman is he is taking top 5 money and coaching like middle of the power 5 quality. If you talk big and take the big money, you have to play like a topic 10 team. No one would complain if you are consistently in the top 10. But the offense simply did not click. No excuses on why, it is all on the coach. The defense won this game and maybe gave some life into the program. Sam is being hit too much to continue to be effective. He cannot carry the offense on his own. If we make that first down, no OT.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. BornOrange0855

BornOrange0855 250+ Posts

Glad we won. Nice not to be the butt of the national joke (for another week at least). But this game revealed all our flaws: Bad OL, bad defense, no running game to speak of. 530 total yards vs 287. Not the recipe for success week in and week out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

If some of you aren’t happy when we win....then you aren’t ever happy lol. That must suck.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
  23. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

They prefer doing the pseudo chic hip critic thing.

24. Luthor Billis

Luthor Billis 100+ Posts

We won. We won this dogfight on their home field. But we came, and we did it. Yay. Texas boys are tough and I am proud of them

• Like Like x 5
  25. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

I was one noting his lack of national-player-of-the-year characteristics, so I’ll jump in to say that his plays at the end were crucial. Good job Jake.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  26. LonghornDave

LonghornDave 1,000+ Posts

I disagree because the proposed coach is available now and because early signing will kill us if a decision is made in December.

27. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Why do people keep bringing up this + 5 turn over crap. The pass interferences and kerstetter hiking it to his a%* were like turnovers too.

Texas did plenty of stupid stuff. Of course they did. TH is still coach.

• Like Like x 1
  28. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

This is really a philosophical point. Did Gundy coach poorly, thus his team played undisciplined, and despite having better players, they lost because Gundy is a bad coach and needs to go?

Or, if the players just blew it, are they really better players?

More realistically, it shows that all these coaches are relying on a bunch of guys who at any minute are going to run into a punter, run 15 yards downfield as an OL on a pass play, jump offsides on 3rd and 4, blow a KR return coverage, fumble with 20 seconds left in the half, etc.

(Or, all the similar things we do— like leaving WRs completely uncovered on key plays. They all represent not doing what you know they were taught to do.)

we didn’t win or lose with coaching yesterday, we won with heart, and that’s a satisfying way to win.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  29. Duck Dodgers

Duck Dodgers 1,000+ Posts

Nice win by Texas, with lots of sloppy play by OSU. Counts the same.

Most likely another loss in the 4 games left. Herman is 2-1 against WV and ISU, and the 3-0 records against KSU is based on much poorer teams than this one.

7-3 for the year, and possible B12 game, depending on if Texas beats ISU.

Will that seem good after staring at a 5-5 season? Or still disappointing based on year 4, no hard out of conference games, and a senior QB?

My thought has always been B12 title or failed year.

• Agree Agree x 3
  30. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

13 penalties for over 100 yards to start.

I thought that they called the PI penalty on the guy guarding Moore in the 4th because he tripped him. Their feet tangled up. They don't usually call that but the guy was beaten and it was a big down. The ref pulled his flag out of his pocket and threw it pretty early. He was decisive. Anyway, if you think back to those 5 straight losses to OSU and all the crazy penalties that went against us and cost us games, turn about is fair play.

• Like Like x 2