OSU Texas Game Thread

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by dukesteer, Oct 31, 2020.

1. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Hot Hot x 1
  3. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

I would have liked that post-game thing better if the fans and players would have sung The Eyes of Texas a cappella as has been done in the past when on the road.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

I have been as critical of our special teams as anyone, so props to our special teams. In addition to the return, they were solid. The only negative was the missed extra point after the stupid penalty for shushing the crowd. The punter (I won't even attempt to spell his name) made an amazing save on a high snap on a field goal.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

A win is a win, but Texas was greatly assisted with 5 turnovers and was nearly outgained by double.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

As fans we reserve the right to complain about a road win over an undefeated top 10 team

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  7. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Amazing how defense can statistically be beaten like that and the same defense create 5 turnovers to win! How in the heck can one side get dual credit, lost it but won it? Just amazing! Way to hang on and hang in Horns!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Seems like forever since the Texas back 7 could play pass defense consistently. Wallace is good, but anyone can look great when the nearest defender is not within 5 yards. Yeah, I know part of it is the lack of a consistent pass rush, but the good receivers have no problems getting open when they have to in order to score or get a 1st down.

I am not even going to comment on their tackling skills (or lack thereof).

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Luthor Billis

Luthor Billis 100+ Posts

Friends, that was a beautiful game. Mostly because I thought that we'd get our clock cleaned, and instead we came, we conqured and took names. Great game Horn players. You played hard, you looked like a finely oiled football machine, and you WON. And as you won, WE WON!!! A+++ for Awesome. We're proud of you young men!!!

• Like Like x 2
  10. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

Jeff Van Gundy once said “Do not ignore in victory what you would not ignore in defeat”

... that should be added to the Binder if it is not already in there.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

I’m happy for the team. Not happy for Herman. He needs to go and the win yesterday delayed what I believe to be inevitable. The longer we take to move on, the longer this program will be mired in underperformance.

I agree that frequent changes are not good. The problem is that if the coach isn’t performing, or if the coach is behaving in a manner that is detrimental to the program, the choice is pretty clear as to the path forward.

The euphoria of yesterday is insignificant in the big picture. We all want Texas back in the national conversation, annually. That won’t happen with this coach.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. LonghornDave

LonghornDave 1,000+ Posts

142 yards in penalties. The total penalty yards this year speaks volumes.

• Agree Agree x 5
  13. longhornlegend

longhornlegend 1,000+ Posts

Been a longhorn for over 50 years. Yes yesterday was a good win. Cant believe listening to the sunshine pumpers about a "dominant" defense. Giving up 530 yards is a long way from "dominant". If the D had not gotten the 4 turnovers and I was happy to see them, this would have been a blowout for OSU.

Just speechless on the play of our OL. Also years of pathetic LB recruiting is eating our lunch right now. I know we lost one to medical but good lord are we pitiful at LB!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

In addition to the penalties (tied for highest in the TH era) and being out gained 2 to 1, we were 2 for 15 on 3rd down conversions.

A win is a win is a win. But this was a game in which, except for the ST play & TO, we were pretty much dominated in all aspects.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Chinstrap

Chinstrap 1,000+ Posts

2/15 on third? Play selection? Who is calling the offensive plays. Maybe fewer 3rd downs might help by things like not throwing to a deep pattern on 2nd and one.
    We love Sam, but it would be interesting to know his completion numbers for passes over 40 yards. Perhaps one of the smart ones on this board can compute that. And in fairness, failure to execute on a deep route is not always on the quarterback. It is just not high %. You might trick some on 2nd and short, but not the good ones.

16. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Most troublesome to me is our receivers consider open space between them and defender a yard or even less, whereas their receivers often do not have a defender visible in the screen of the television view. Ok slight exaggeration- but not much. I would love reasonable explanation of this because I do NOT believe it is purely better route running.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

An opportunistic OT win fueled by turnovers and big plays. Back and forth. Rather fun to watch.
    Above all—a Win.
    Go Horns.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

More often than not, we are the net loser when it comes to bad calls. We were finally the net beneficiary of the bad calls in this game. You certainly don’t see that very often in Stillwater.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
  19. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Again, if Texas doesn't give up four turnovers on penalties and a hike up the a%@ then maybe Texas wins Big. Just because it isn't counted as a turnover in the stats doesn't mean it's not a turnover. Most of the turnovers were forced by good play, the stupid penalties were not.

I agree though OL sucks as well as the LBs. This team isn't winning any kind of championships until we get some OL that can block.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Y’all stop with the vulgar comments or find another forum

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. MajorRules00

MajorRules00 500+ Posts

Fans and team reunited...and it feels so good!

• Like Like x 1
  22. 22Horn

22Horn 500+ Posts

Huge turning point in the season in more than 1 way!!

Those 4 turnovers didn't just happen. The D had a hand it them!!

Still agree that a change must be made but now it seems that it will not happen until seasons over unless we fall apart in next 2-3 games.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  23. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

Other teams run routes dependent on coverage..They read zone and they run to open grass. Not sure what the hell ours do. On top of that our DBs do not play zone properly, thus leaving WRs wide open. When in man coverage our DBs do not adjust against twin sets and crossing routes....Resulting in wide open WRs.

24. 22Horn

22Horn 500+ Posts

this message from another thread......I definitely agree!

1. Hard, very hard hitting motivated Defense
    2. Basically shut down the premier RB in the country
    3. Sacks, pressure
    4. A running game from UT against the best D in the B12
    5. Players celebrating like a team gone mad when Ossai sacked Spencer to win the game. And genuine players celebrating with UT fans after the game.
    6. Jake making plays- Moore clutch as usual.
    7. A win away from home against the #6 team
    8. Juju has come alive
    9. Sam
    10 Joseph (playing hurt, still a complete BA)

• Like Like x 2
  25. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Did you not see Herman post game? Everything about play calling must have been great. since he didn't mention it He did, however, mention how poorly Sam played.

26. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

About Turnovers

One possible strategy going forward:

If we can’t beat you with disciplined play, solid execution, and creative play calling — we will keep taking the ball away from you until we can eventually convert it to points

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  27. El Sapo

El Sapo Bevo's BFF

All of this our master strategy to get the game to overtime because we like overtime. Apparently. :facepalm:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  28. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

thanks!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  29. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

Welp, yesterday was not the first time a team won a game that way! I seem to remember that very thing happening TO us in Earl's Heisman year in the Cotton Bowl. Just remember though, I am old and have a bad memory.

• Like Like x 1
  30. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Not a dominant defensive performance (except for Ossai—the one man gang). Mitchell and Jacoby Jones showed up well too.

Nonetheless, I have my first compliment for Ash. I liked his overall D strategy of stopping Chuba Hubbard first (keying safeties first on run support, etc) and making Sanders beat us in the air. It was tough as Sanders has some wheels himself and Wallace may be the best WR on the college game. Still a good strategy against this opponent. The likely alternative was a 200 yard game for Chuba Hubbard and an L on the record.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1