OSX Leopard Previewed Today.

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by naijahorn, Jun 11, 2007.

1. naijahorn

naijahorn 250+ Posts

You can see some of the 'new' stuff now @ the Apple site.

I'm hard pressed to call any of it revolutionary or even noteworthy, except the 64-bit part.

I continue to applaud Apple on how simple they make daily computing for the average user, but let's be frank; these changes, from Jaguar to Leopard, are nothing more than service packs no matter how hard Jobs tries to convince the faithful that they are huge upgrades.

All-in-all, it makes the shots Apple takes at MS look more lame by the minute.

2. Sii

Sii 1,000+ Posts

are you an actual Mac user or just the usual around here that think's Macs suck?

3. Benson32

Benson32 1,000+ Posts

who labeled leopard as revolutionary?

67% of mac users are currently running tiger, they obviously think the upgrades are worth it.

4. austintexas

austintexas Guest

Time Machine seems pretty revolutionary to me.

5. Owlhorn

Owlhorn 500+ Posts

I think you will see a lot of bashing because of the Vista was attacked by the Mac fanboys as being a graphical update, when in fact Vista is entirely different under the hood and has clear advances and advantages. I'm sure Leopard will be the same. Its just a bunch of smack talk between two different parties with two different computing agendas.

6. scottsins

scottsins 1,000+ Posts

7. sessamoid

sessamoid 500+ Posts

I'm sorry, but where is Vista "entirely different under the hood"? The two most fundamental parts of an operating system are the system kernel and the file system. To my knowledge, Vista still uses the same NT kernel and the same ****** NTFS file system. They were supposed to have a cutting-edge journaling file system in it, but took it out when they couldn't get it to work properly.

8. naijahorn

naijahorn 250+ Posts

err, I'm a Mac user.

Of course a good portion of Mac users are running Tiger. Nobody doubts Apple's ability to sell its products and considering how expensive Macs are, not many people that own one and have to pay the full price for the upgrades are going to blink too much at doing so.

Time Machine is not revolutionary. Searchable backups have been around for awhile now. Apple just gave it a great glossy cover.

9. sessamoid

sessamoid 500+ Posts

The ease of use that Time Machine provides is a great advance over any similar feature on any previous operating system, unless you can point to something similar.

While not revolutionary, bringing virtual desktops to OS X is a great step. It looks much easier to use on OS X than on the ones I've used X Windowing systems on Linux. It's far better looking than a few of the poor hacks I've seen on Windows.

Stacks looks to be the desktop feature previewed today that will most change the way users interact with their computers.

Honestly, I didn't expect a lot of huge end-user changes to be revealed today. WWDC is for developers, not end users.

10. sessamoid

sessamoid 500+ Posts

On a related note, the text input area resizing is a cool feature in the new Safari that I've never seen on another browser. Very nice for those websites who don't allow customization and whose text input windows are super tiny. It's also nice just so you can fit the whole web page on the screen without horizontal scrolling sometimes.