Other Coaches hired 2014

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by gahornphan, Nov 17, 2016.

1. gahornphan

gahornphan 500+ Posts

For those of you who think 8-5 (assuming we win out and win the bowl game) would be reason enough to give CS more time, and especially for those who have the insane notion of giving him an extension:
    The year Texas hired Coach Strong, USC hired Steve Sarkisian, Penn State hired James Franklin, Washington hired Chris Peterson, Louisville hired Bobby Petrino, and Boise State hired Brian Harsin. Vanderbilt hired a new coach too, but I'll leave them out of this conversation.
    Think about this: All of the above have their teams in the top 20.
    Three, Penn State, Washington and Louisville, are in the top TEN, with an outside shot at the playoffs. USC is just outside the top 10 at 13 and they just dominated a former top 5 school in Washington.
    And when you bring up what Mack Brown left Charlie with, think about the still smoldering dumpster fires the new Penn State and USC coaches had to deal with.

2. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Wasn't Steve Sarkisian fired?

• Like Like x 1
  3. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Clay Helton is the head coach at usc. Sarc was fired in Oct. 2015.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

Good post.

Yes Sarkisian was fired. Still good food for thought.

I remember James Franklin being high on our radar too. And Penn State was a smoldering dumpster fire at the time.
    What could have been...

5. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

I cannot believe we are even having to discuss this. CS is THE WORST football coach after 3 years in the history of UT. The #1 reason this is not already decided is because UT is scared silly of firing their first black HC. The soft bigotry of low expectations rears it's ugly head again.

• Like Like x 5
  6. Galvestonhorn

Galvestonhorn 250+ Posts

Phil Elliott...you are 100% correct.

7. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Phil,

And the choir said, "AMEN!"

• Like Like x 1
  8. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

*********. The reason they haven't fired him yet is $$$ + no sure thing to replace him.

• Like Like x 2
  9. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

The last time Texas had a "sure thing to replace him", the president of The University humped the puppy. Is history repeating itself?

10. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

That's a factor, and perhaps your reason and my reason go hand in hand. The $$$ reason is a good excuse so you don't get called racist. However, if the $$$ is a factor, then they do not understand how many $$$ it is going to cost them in lost donations by keeping him.

• Like Like x 1
  11. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

If money is indeed the problem, then I want to go back and revisit my original position of suing Bill Powers and Patterson for Gross Negligence.

Again, if money is the problem, I. for one, believe it is because the BMDs don't have any confidence in current University administrators to properly handle the situation nor the new hire.

12. Galvestonhorn

Galvestonhorn 250+ Posts

money isn't the problem and it never has been at The University.

13. gahornphan

gahornphan 500+ Posts

My bad.:idk:
    Forgot about Sark getting fired. Still, USC apparently didn't take too long to get it right.

14. Galvestonhorn

Galvestonhorn 250+ Posts

Sark liked the bottle and made an *** of himself, numerous times.. thats why he was fired.

15. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Galveston,

Is Schnellenberger actually Sarkensian's father?

16. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

No sure thing replacement? At least 25 coaches could walk in with their own hand-picked staff and perform better with these same players. And that's low-balling it.

• Like Like x 1
  17. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Brad,

Please! 25? Seriously? Are you talking about HS coaches in the Houston SMSA? Are there fewer than 25 P5 coaches that couldn't do better?

18. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

I liked Franklin. Still do. Don't know why he didn't get more attention here from the powers that be.

19. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Cary,

Possibly the rape convictions in Nashville? Just a guess

• Like Like x 2