OTHER GAMES

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Chop, Sep 14, 2019.

1. stanhin

stanhin 5,000+ Posts

Although the snow did not start until about 10 minutes were left in the fourth quarter in the game between Miami and Buffalo, it snowed heavily for the rest of the game. Buffalo had the ball in position for a short field goal to break a 29-29 tie and win the game with just seconds left in the game. Buffalo took a time out and all the members of the offense squatted down and started furiously swiping at the snow with their hands to clear a space for the FG kicker to set up. They did a good job and he kicked the FG to win the game as time expired.

• Like Like x 2
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
  2. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

The NTSU QB is Jon Aune's son correct?

3. HoffHorn

HoffHorn 500+ Posts

Texas’ historical obsession with recruiting Houston rather than North Texas has to change! Don’t believe me, See TCU!

4. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Sark does seem to understand North Texas recruiting.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

We recruit statewide, and cherry pick some nationwide.

Some players want to come to UT, others don't.

As for our starters (offense and defense) they come from the following places:
    7 from Greater Houston
    5 from Greater DFW
    (not a big difference)
    2 from small town Texas; non-Greater Houston or DFW areas (3 if Brooks counted)
    6 from out-of-state (5 if Bijan not counted)
    1 from Austin

Offense:
    Fresno, CA
    Bradenton, FL
    Cuero
    Humble - Greater Houston
    Katy- Greater Houston
    Prosper - Greater DFW
    Frisco- Greater DFW
    Cypress- Greater Houston
    Southlake- Greater DFW
    Tucson, AZ (or Halletsville for Brooks if Bijan sits)

Defense:
    New Orleans, LA
    Houston- Greater Houston
    Huntsville- Greater Houston
    Lathrop Village, MI
    Norfolk, VA
    Frisco - Greater DFW
    Houston- Greater Houston
    Houston- Greater Houston
    Lufkin
    Little Elm- Greater DFW
    Austin

2022 Texas Longhorns Football Depth Chart | Ourlads.com

• Like Like x 1
  6. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Orangebloods

Last year's recruiting class (2022):

DFW - 10
    Out-of-State - 7
    Greater Houston - 3
    Austin Area - 3
    Small town Texas - 3
    Beaumont-Port Arthur-Nederland Area - 1

• Like Like x 1
  7. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Traditionally, our recruiting rivals are:

Greater Houston: aTm and LSU, big gap then UH + others

DFW: OU, big gap then aTm, another big gap then Tech, TCU, OSU, Baylor, others

Austin and San Antonio: nobody

Beaumont/Port Arthur/Nederland area: see Greater Houston but with LSU often the biggest threat.

Small town East Texas: aTm - this is the traditional core of their fan-base, culture, etc. Contrary to popular perception, the world center of Aggiedom is not in College Station; rather, it lies in some cow pasture or brier patch in between Lufkin and Crockett.

Small town Northeast Texas: OU - a region of some of the most egregious historical OU cheating.

Small town Central Texas: nobody

West Texas: Tech, aTm, TCU

Far South Texas (Corpus Christi and below): aTm

Note, big national powers like Alabama, USC, Notre Dame, Michigan, etc. will swoop in and cherry pick some of the very top level talent.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2022
  8. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Chop,

Southeast Texas is Beaumont (all Aggie), Port Arthur (the price is right), Mid County (PORT NECHES/nederland - lots of heart, not so much talent), Orange (fight A&M). LSU used to be a bigger threat when the HS played Louisiana HS (PNG vs Sulphur & LaGrange); Nederland vs Istrouma). We grew up in MidCounty thinking the devil lived in Beaumont. Hardin County has been good to Texas - John Elliott, Butch Hadnot, Doug Shankle, William Graham, et al

• Like Like x 1
  9. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

We've had lots of good players from the Golden Triangle area over the years. It seems that aTm and LSU grabs a bunch of them too.

I recall a stud Longhorn player or two from Centerville a while back, can't remember who.

Anywhere there is large scale rice farming (the area between Houston and Beaumont, El Campo/Wharton/Bay City/Danbury/Edna, etc.) there will be plenty of aggies nearby.

10. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Chop,

Go back to the Strong and Herman years, and you will see ou ate Texas' lunch. Sure each got a couple from DFW each year, but the quality overall wasn't there.

11. Giovanni Jones

Giovanni Jones 2,500+ Posts

So far, teams from Texas universities are 0-3 in bowl games. Hardly an auspicious start.

12. stanhin

stanhin 5,000+ Posts

Raiders and Pats tied with 3 seconds to go. Patriots run the ball to run out the clock and head to overtime, but for some reason start lateraling it like they would if they were behind and desperate. Raiders intercept one of the laterals and run 48 yards for the winning score..Complete brain fart by Pats.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2022
  13. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Dicker The Kicker does it again. He might be the best FG in the league “this season.” Regardless, what a one two punch with Tucker & Dicker.

• Like Like x 3
  14. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Unbelievable. I’m a Chargers fan. Helped them big-time.

• Like Like x 1
  15. kbrown

kbrown 1,000+ Posts

Nobody recruits Austin better????

16. stanhin

stanhin 5,000+ Posts

Near the end of the Washington/Giants game, Washington was in the red zone, and, on fourth down, the Washington QB threw a pass to his man in the end zone. The NY Giant defender was behind the receiver and had both arms wrapped firmly around him before the ball got there. One of the defender's arms had the receiver's left arm pinned against his side. No call for pass interference. Of course, you can't say that was the game because, even if the receiver had caught it, Washington would still have had to get the 2 point conversion to tie and then win in overtime, but that was just an embarrassingly bad call. The referees generally had a bad night--numerous calls were overturned after reviews and others were questionable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

I stopped trying to figure out what constitutes PI several years ago. Some calls make no sense to me, no calls and calls alike.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. stanhin

stanhin 5,000+ Posts

Just before the no-call in the end zone on the pass interference, Washington (which was at the one yard line and appeared to score on the play) was penalized for not having a receiver on one end of the line (he was backed off the line about a yard). So, later, the announcers asked their analyst (former ref Terry McAulay) about the two plays. The announcers noted that referees hate to call pass interference at the end of the game. McCauley said it was clearly pass interference, and, if it would have been PI at the beginning of the game, it should be at the end, too. He then proceeded to criticize the procedure call re the end on one side of the line by saying, you shouldn't be calling that at the end of a game. I think you see where I'm going with this. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2022
  19. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

AF playing inspired defense tonight.

• Like Like x 1
  20. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Baylor's D looks like HHD could run the ball against them.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  21. Olehornfan

Olehornfan 2,500+ Posts

Baylor looks like a high school team tonight. Of course I did not realie that Air Force has the best defense in the country.

• Like Like x 1
  22. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

About 10 freaking degees in FW now. AF about to put a serious 30-7 ***-whippen on Bailor in Cowtown!

AF Grad, @HornHuskerDad is smiling!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2022
  23. everette

everette 250+ Posts

I'm sure it's more about discipline and want to! Also, they're more used to the frigid temps. Did any of the bares opt out?

24. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Baylor is the suck.

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. Giovanni Jones

Giovanni Jones 2,500+ Posts

Perhaps UofH will be the first team from Texas to win their bowl game.

26. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

Air Force is Tough and Smart man Football. Turned Baylor athletes inside out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

AF style of play is much better suited to these weather conditions. Bears looked frozen all game. AF runs an option game well. Baylor couldn’t execute its passing attack.
    Texas teams may not win a bowl game

28. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

WorsterMan, I like the game and I am smiling - while sitting in front of my big-screen HDTV next to the fireplace. As I said in the other thread in response to SabreHorn, I'm happy to be watching on TV instead of out in 10-degree weather. I saw enough of that cold weather during my four years at USAFA - one of the reasons I live in Texas instead of Colorado!

• Like Like x 4
  29. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Teams from the Lone Star State are getting their clocks cleaned this year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Granted that's in per-game stats and not per-drive numbers, and option teams always have fewer drives per game than everyone else.

Also, they only played 3 top 100 offenses (none of the top 50) while also playing all 3 of the bottom 3.