Other Super Regional Updates

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by FWHORN, Jun 11, 2021.

1. militaryhorn

militaryhorn Prediction Contest Manager

My wife is State fan and I am rooting for them until next week.

2. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

We would have 49 wins if not for the 2 cancellations. That typically means top 4 finish.

3. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

Looks like a good field of teams in Omaha - as it should be. Texas will be the highest remaining seed, but none of the competitors should be taken lightly.

4. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Arizona punches it’s ticket and ends a bad day for the mighty SEC which goes 1-4 and sees three teams eliminated.

5. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Interesting tidbits:

The Opening Classic in Arlington featured six teams who all ended up being seeded with five of them national seeds but thus far only Texas has made it to Omaha with Mississippi State playing a game three later today against Notre Dame.

Arkansas climbed to number one early in the year and held down that position for months as a dominant force that was a strong favorite to win it all; they will go down as perhaps the second best team ever not to make it to Omaha trailing only '89 Aggy as the best team to not qualify for the CWS.

Arkansas outscored NC State 28-11 over the weekend yet found a way to lose the series. 21-2 doesnt mean a whole lot if you lose the next two games by one run.

As pointed out repeatedly last night on the broadcast, with the pigs losing before even getting to Omaha, the number one overall seed hasnt won it all since Miami in'99, twice the number one overall seed made it all the way to the finals and both times that was Texas in '04 and '09. That '04 team remains the best Texas team I have ever seen and the lost final weekend against Fullerton remains one of my most frustrating sports memories (ranking up there with the '01 football conference championship game and the '84 Cotton Bowl at end of '83 season).

Texas and Vanderbilt head to Omaha with incredible starting pitching and with the schedule set up to protect pitchers early they will both have an advantage but they both also have been hit with cold bats at unfortunate times this year and for each that is their weakness.

The Pac 12 ended up being a lot stronger in the post season than expected and Texas' win over Arizona State has looked better and better as the Super Regionals went on, but if the ACC can win two games today then shockingly that conference will be the one with three teams in Omaha.

Two more games today and then the real fun begins.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
  6. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Zona and Stanford both look damn good. Texas better be ready to play. We aren't going to get 100 walks and 50 hit batters like we did against happy to be there teams like Southern and Fairfield. ASU pitching got depleted too, as well as USF last night. It's going to be a battle.

7. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Yeah. Vandy looks a lot like us.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

DBU and UVA

0-0 early on.

• poop poop x 1
  9. n64ra

n64ra 1,000+ Posts

Have to laugh at piggie and TTU's results. With TTU ranked #9 and Stanford ranked #7, why didn't they do a Stanford super regional?

Edit: Got my answer with some more google fu. D1baseball, where I was, has Stanford #7 and TTU #9. Meanwhile, the NCAA has Stanford #9 and TTU #8. I didn't think a website would incorporate their own ranking over the NCAA's official ranking.

10. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

DBU up 2-1 in the fourth in the Columbia Super Regional Game Three.

• Like Like x 2
  11. p_town_horn

p_town_horn 1,000+ Posts

Dumb question here ... do we know that Texas plays the winner of Miss State and ND or is it possible we play the winner of DBU and UVA. I don't think I am reading the brackets correctly.

12. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

UVA now up 5-2 in the seventh.

Texas will open against winner of ND/MSU while Tennessee will open with winner of DBU/UVA.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  13. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Virginia wins 5-2 and is seventh team to qualify for Omaha.

• poop poop x 2
  14. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Channeling Blazing Saddles: Never mind that ****, here comes Mississippi State!

Up 10-2 on the Irish 4th inning and may get more. ND pitcher either sucks or MS aggie can just the slap the ball !! Suppose it could be both....

15. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

OMG that was a massive HR.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Now 11-7

17. WorsterMan

Irish trying to rally in Stark Vegas .... 11-7 aggie going to B8th .... Irish got 3 outs to get it done in the 9th or they go home.

18. WorsterMan

Final 11-7

So, I believe Miss. aggie win tonight means Horns face them next weekend. Will be a test for sure.

19. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Horns will get a chance to see how far they have progressed from Arlington right off the bat in Omaha.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

This is a WS packed with talent. Pitching will win it. I think it is a wide open series with any team winning. Looking forward to being there.

• Like Like x 2