OU Coaches to USC

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by NRHorn, Dec 4, 2021.

1. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

this is a good point. Riley did a great job of inheriting a good program. It’s not a knock on him. He had big shoes to fill and did it with no problem.

but he has never built anything. You also can’t overestimate how much benefit Stoops snd Castoglione offer organizationally.

2. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

In four years, he had two Heisman QB’s and 2 Heisman contenders. He didn’t win a BCS championship and failed to make the Big 12 championship game this year. He bailed while still an attractive candidate. We shall see how he does at USC.

• Like Like x 1
  3. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

Here are some more educated OU points.

1. He was gifted a team that took Georgia to OT.
    2. Mayfield and Murray came to OU without Riley's work.
    3. OU has 9 former OL playing on Sundays on top of Mixon, Sermon, Perine, Stevens, Hollywood, Andrews, Lamb, etc. That has a lot to do with his success.
    4. OU's defense was suspect prior to Riley. He made a change. It is still suspect.
    5. We have gone downhill as a team significantly.
    a. Run ruled by Bama
    b. Curb Stomped by LSU
    c. This year: Made Tulane look like an SEC team. Squeaked by NU on a fourth down stop. Had to come from behind against KU. Made 5* Rattler look simple. Defenses have caught up with his offense. Special teams were poor despite an All Conference punter and a very good kicker.
    6. I have no problem with him leaving. I think it's the right call for him based on his skill set.
    7. I have three issues with his methods:
    a. Just say that your agent had been speaking with them for a length of time as an option as your contract negotiations were not progressing as smoothly as you'd hoped. That's why all coaches have agents - so they can do their job while someone else looks out for their future.
    B. He should have told the OU players he would take NO transfers from that group for at least a year.
    C. He should not take any recruits that were already committed to Oklahoma. On the face of it, it appears like he was strategically recruiting southern california more this year than other years. Curious, huh?

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 2
    • Hot Hot x 1
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2021
  4. Horn2RunAgain

Horn2RunAgain 2,500+ Posts

Jilted lover syndrome , above (football style). Good excuse for unreasonable expectations from your departed partner.

Just move on. 'He's really just not into you'. He found a premier program in a cushy conference with unlimited resources. Like ou was before they announced leaving for the sec.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  5. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

I agree with this. Folks he said this all took place in what amounts to a 12 hour window…from no idea to signing a contract??? Come on man.

IF Herman was winning like Riley was and pulled this BS, we would be loosing our minds.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

I'm not even mad. Just irritated about the curious recruiting in SoCal and taking those recruits. Turning them down would not really hurt him a lick in the long run.

I'd also point out that Rattler would have been un-offensive as a transfer to USC. He was all but in the portal in October by 12:00PM that game.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2021
  7. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

PS: Dear Lincoln, You can have the DC, the S&C guy, and your right hand man that's been with OU for 27 years. You can even have Manning who was recruiting FOR USC while on recruiting trips with Stoops. However, those Nike jump man shoes need to be taken out of service, at least for photo ops. :)

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

This was a cool 2:00 from Stoops.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

People complaining that ouSUX wasn't given a 10 yard head start, like a 9 year old little brother.

So last year when ouSUX signed 4 recruits from the va/dc/md area, he was angling for the job at College Park?

USC was more attractive to him. Kids can change commitments before signing. Kids can transfer one time without sitting.

You think the kids wanted to travel from southern California to Norman for the school and beautiful scenery? Cmon

Last edited: Dec 7, 2021
  10. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Wait. I just had a complete brain meltdown. What do those two words mean?

• Funny Funny x 3
  11. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

A take on the OU football program trajectory from someone with a more full breadth of knowledge of the topic at hand than your typical hornfans "OUSux" poster. That combined with the nuance and sense of self, as it relates to OU football, of having been beaten down by my Horn brethren to the point of actually F'N sponsoring this site and just ignoring those who are rude to me just because of my username. Maybe that's why I enjoy West Mall so much. :)

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

5. C
    I do believe he was slippin and about to be found out ...signs were there

• Like Like x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  13. txhorn_et

txhorn_et 1,000+ Posts

Riley did what Matt Campbell should’ve done last year. Get out while the gettin’s good.
    I guess the ‘good’ jobs weren’t open last year.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  14. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

I genuinely like your posts.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  15. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

OUbubba is a welcome dissenting voice here and on West Mall ——to me, anyway.
    I listen to Riley and think that if not for Mike Leach he might be the second best tractor salesman in Muleshoe.
    But Leach saw something as did Stoops, two of the top ten around

I think he does well, real well, at USC

I like PAC-10 football and expect him to inflate the whole conference.
    Utah got shafted when left out of the championship round

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

You have always been a good sport. After reluctantly submitting to the bullying, you have become a great sponsor too!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

I figure I come here enough and talk a little smack, the least I can do is do my part. ii's is also relentless. ;)

I think we all should have online deportment as if you were a visitor on a rival's message board. I truly have grown from the discourse with people who are disagreeable by nature. The tiring discussion of who should be the backup 3 technique or what "speed D" is get's old. It's easier to just come here and spar.

• Like Like x 3
  18. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

I'm not sure. I think he'll always have that 9-3/10-2 look. He's not internally strong enough to be a relentless coach holding people accountable. A lot of people are better Lt.'s than Generals. He's a Lt.

19. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

Bubba is allsome. He's a great poster.

It's just my autocorrect that when I type in *ou, it changes it to ouSUX. :ousucks:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

mine corrects to “lousy” unless I put OU in caps

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  21. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

mine oddly corrects to "filthy stinkin no good rotten land thieving bastids" but I've learned to work around it
    Srsly though @OUBubba is a good one :beertoast:

• Like Like x 1
  22. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Yep.

23. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

Looking for objective opinions. Is this as nutso/Japanese game show looking to you guys as it is to me? I can admit to being less than objective.

I do like the "What's up with that?" take on it.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

You're like a skunk under the porch but with manners. Happy to have you. Just please don't spray the AC unit.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

I don’t feel the least bit sorry for the sooners losing their coaches (and players/recruits).

I never feel sorry when the sooners lose something.

:bevo::bevo::bevo:

• Hot Hot x 1
  26. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

Japanese Game Show is spot on.
    Wow.

27. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

uh that''s not how you do those lol

japanese game show with Screech as the host

28. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

Very well stated, Bubba. I especially agree with your points in B and C. Those moves would have eased a bit of the resentment from the ou fan base - and would have been the right way to do things.

29. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

The "cost" of that kind of consideration would have been low. He would be getting top level QB's and players regardless. I could even see him treating OU committed players outside of California something different than those in Cali.

With that said, I read that BV is recruiting a Clemson commitment from Nebraska. So, maybe that's just the nature of the business and I need to move along.

30. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

Do we think Sark is a douche when we got Keilan Robinson and Ben Davis? I don't remember our outcry.

Oh right, because it's fair and legal and who cares about Alabama alums.

• Agree Agree x 1