OU @ Texas

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by LutherIsMyDog, Feb 11, 2022.

1. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

Did you see Bobby Knight throw a chair across the court?

2. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

Yes, now that you mention it. Did she play tonight?

3. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

Good game Texas

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Bobby Knight was a bona fide *******... If I were one of his players and he grabbed me like he did some of his others, I would have cold-cocked his ***. That is if my mom didn't come out of the stands and do it first.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Bucksgal

Bucksgal 500+ Posts

I hope she sticks around. Most of her lack of playing time has been the result of injury, not because of coaching decisions. Will need her size next year.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Those 5 free throws in a row by Warren… Horns never looked back. Sweet.

:bevo:

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. hoopsalot

hoopsalot 500+ Posts

That was the most fun I can remember having while watching women's basketball at the Erwin Center in a long time. Certainly not since the Pandemic shut down. Audrey getting three free throws and making every one and following that up with two more free throws on Coach B's tech really fired up the crowd. Too bad the possession following the free throws ended in a travel call. At one point Audrey was encouraging the crowd from the sidelines. That was fun to see. I hope we can get a decent crowd for Iowa State even though the game is in the middle of the week and, of course, Iowa State does not arouse the same passion in Texas fans as OU.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Definitely an enjoyable win. It didn't look good early with so many turnovers in the first quarter, and OU running their offense pretty easily. Being down 1 point at the half was frustrating based on how were dominating the paint, and rebounding. But, giving OU so many points off our turnovers, and missing way too many free throws were the equalizers.

Glad we were so energized in the 3rd quarter, and took control of the game for good. I was not in the mood to have to squeak out a win in the last 2 minutes of the game. It was so good to beat OU by 15 points (I wanted a 20-point win). OU getting way too big for their britches recently (after the reveal on Thursday ranked them #9 overall).

Getting this win could end up being another Top 10-15 win on our resume' if OU stays ranked highly; but, don't want them ranked higher than us so I have to root for them to lose some more games.

We get another chance for a Top 10-15 win against ISU on Wednesday. It's good to have some momentum and the team feeling good about themselves as they prepare for ISU.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2022
  9. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

OU coach didn’t like the foul on Audrey’s three point shot. She held her cool until Audrey made all three of the free throws and then she lost it and screamed at the ref “she was f***ing out of bounds”. Boom came the technical.

Texas went up by 8 and never lost the lead.

Warren was not out of bounds. :lmao:

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Well, Vic got a technical at OU that resulted in Roberston hitting 3 or 5 free those, right? And, we lost that game by 2 points :mad:

• Like Like x 2
  11. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 5
  12. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Our seniors combined for 48 points and 22 rebounds.

• Like Like x 10
    • Winner Winner x 3
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2022
  13. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

And, when ALL three of our seniors play well in the same game, good things happen. Just seems that's been the exception, and not the norm.

When Joanne, Lauren, and Audrey are playing well, it keeps the inexperienced players from forcing things and making poor decisions.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Winner Winner x 2
  14. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

For the life of me, I can’t figure out what is going on with Matharu, but we outscored OU by 19 points while she was on the bench in the third and tied with them when she played most of the 2nd.

Hunter and Moore continue to ride the bench as well. Moore saw 2 minutes and Hunter zero.

Holle and Lattimore on the rise. Did not see them overtaking Moore and Hunter but clearly they’re giving Vic more of what he wants.

• Agree Agree x 3
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2022
  15. Bobcat

Bobcat 500+ Posts

And THAT is what we have been missing,,,.seniors leading and being consistent. GREAT JOB...

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Moore came in the game, immediately gave up an offensive rebound and put back, then was pulled and didn't see the floor again. I would hate to lose her and Hunter, but aside from talent / potential there must be a mutual good fit. Perhaps that's what's missing in the equation. Whomever stays stays... Whomever goes goes. It's going to be the new norm even more so now with the new transfer rules. Hopefully those new rules will provide us with some of the elements that are missing on our team.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. texexted

texexted 500+ Posts

So you agree?

18. texexted

texexted 500+ Posts

Yup and that technical - like the OU coach’s technical last night - was extremely costly.
    Last night Audrey got fouled on a 3 point shot. She hits all three FTs.
    OU coach goes off on the ref (who knows what she said) - after being on them to the entire game. She was on her knees screaming “that’s not fair she was out of bounds!”
    She complains louder after Audrey hits all three FTs and gets a T.
    Then Audrey hits two more FTs. Before inbounding the ball Audrey implores the crowd to get louder - adding to the momentum swing.
    Then Texas scores a basket.
    So in essence it was a seven point swing and part of a huge third quarter.

• Agree Agree x 5
  19. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

Yes, I can't figure out what's going on with the relationship between Matharu and Vic. We were great last night without her playing much, but I don't know if it's realistic to expect that to happen often. She is a really talented player who shouldn't be riding the bench too much. Of course, there is often the foul issue, but not last night. She seems to frustrate the hell out of Vic. I hope he finds a way to let her out of the doghouse, because she is a very important piece of this team. We would not have won at Stanford or, IMO, a few other games, without her.

Hunter is out of here, IMO. Vic doesn't respect her game, and I doubt she wants to be here like this. I don't know about Moore. Many more games where she barely gets in, and could be the same thing.

Lattimore gives our game a dimension it is desperate for. Not so much last night, since Oklahoma is short, but we need a tall, agile rebounder and hopefully shooter against most teams' big front courts.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  20. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I will say we were great for one quarter last night, other than that I don't think we played particularly well overall. Still lots of unforced turnovers and too many missed free throws. Transition defense was suspect at times... And the offense had its somewhat stagnant moments as usual. As @Moooooo mentioned our tenacity on the boards was a big difference maker.

But that third quarter was lights out with effort, energy, hustle, and toughness. Put an entire game together like that and we're a really tough team to be beat. I still believe we'll get there eventually. The box score, particularly the scores by quarters, tells the story of the game.

Oklahoma vs. Texas - Game Summary - February 12, 2022 - ESPN

• Like Like x 1
  21. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Post-game presser.

• Like Like x 6
  22. hoopsalot

hoopsalot 500+ Posts

Right. Last year, some posters expected Holle to leave. Only Precious played fewer minutes. This year Shay is steadily taking her place on the team. Some players leave. Some stay and improve. A lot of minutes will be available to be earned next season when this years’ seniors move on.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

I’m super hard on Vic so I’ll defend him a bit today. I see a ton of Q’s about his rotation in the 3rd quarter. When your team is on a heater like that, you don’t sub. Had we not had that stretch of us playing so well, Matharu would’ve certainly been in the game because she actually had a really good 1st half.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  24. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

My thoughts exactly... Could not have said it better myself.

• Agree Agree x 3
  25. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

I’m not trying to knock Matharu. It’s just very surprising to me that we put up 78 and she only played 15 minutes.

When asked about lineups in the PRE-game presser, Vic said it’s primarily a matchup thing, but it was also a consistency thing. I trust he knows what he is doing.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  26. justabbfan

justabbfan 250+ Posts

Agree with utfanforlife - the five on the floor were clicking so why mess with that? I was upset that the refs had to stop because of the clock. Thankfully, though, that did not stymie their momentum much.

• Agree Agree x 3
  27. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Well, that's because all 3 seniors brought their offensive games. Even though Audrey didn't start, those 3 players combined for 48 points (like you stated previously). When you have 3 players average 16 points, the remaining players really just need to hold their own (score their average) and not make costly mistakes. It's when the 3 seniors are NOT contributing like this offensively that Matharu is really depended upon (as she is our best offensive player); and, unfortunately, our 3 seniors just aren't gonna combine for 48 points most games.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  28. chuckhorn

chuckhorn 25+ Posts

Last night was senior leadership at its best. We need to keep that going!

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  29. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Like others have noticed, our seniors are up and down offensively. But, I would argue that they are our best defensive players (maybe your seniors are supposed to be). While it looks as if none of them will return for their fifth season of eligibility, who will take their places next season as defensive stoppers?

If players like Ayoka Lee, Ashley Joens, Taylor Roberston, and Madi Williams decide to return for their fifth seasons, they will be tougher for us to stop next season without Joanne, Lauren, and Audrey. Joanne did a great job against Robertson last night; and, she guarded Joens a lot last season (when Celeste wasn't), so I expect her and Audrey to split time guarding Joens this coming Wednesday.

• Agree Agree x 2
  30. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Or maybe one prevents the other :idk: