Our baseball team is taking a bus to Tulsa?

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by SabreHorn, May 17, 2015.

1. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

An eight hour bus ride without stops for storms or Bucee's. I sure hope we used the money saved on airfare to spring for their meals to be super sized at Mickey D's.

Are members of the administration riding the same bus?

I expect this kind of crap from Baylor or University of Third Ward or Lamar, but The University of Texas with the largest athletic budget in the country?

2. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

It’s not a bus, it’s the Patterson Austerity ExpressTM

• Like Like x 5
  3. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Bonding time for the team......or this will be the excuse to raise prices across the board again because look at the cutbacks the baseball team had to endure.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

I ranted somewhere about the AD is supposed to do everything legally possible off the field to increase our chances of winning. Our AD values increasing profits over increasing our chances of winning. This is not a private company. Who cares how much money the athletic department brings in if the athletic department does not value winning? What's the point? I do not know of any fans, students, or alumni that walk out of the stadium after a loss and say "Well we did not win on the field, but our athletic department's pocketbook sure did win today! Texas Fight!"

Does a trip to china help our chances of winning?

Does sending our team on a bus increase our chances of winning?

Does a game in mexico increase our chances of winning?

Does moving the basketball arena south of the river help our chances of winning?

Does raising the ticket prices, charging for parking, removing parking and generally alienating fans so attendance drops and we have no home field/court advantage increase our chances of winning?

Patterson does not ask these questions.

• Like Like x 3
  5. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Patterson does not ask these questions because he doesn't know what to ask much less what to do. He's already done irreparable harm. When Powers hired him, I predicted the athletic department would be in the red within 24 months. Second prediction was it would take 20 years to recover. One down and one to go.

6. BevoBeef

BevoBeef 250+ Posts

I would say yes to the first & no to all the other questions. If the bus ride itself is only 8 hours, then there is not that much extra time involved if you factor all the time in the airport and getting to the rooms from the airport. I would hazard a guess that this mode of transportation is AG's choice. He has little time to get the team relaxed and ready to play. The stops along the way only help to bond the team together as compared to the airport time. It is an art form for him to control the attitudes of the players.

• Like Like x 1
  7. NJlonghorn

NJlonghorn 2,500+ Posts

I hope Augie ordered up this bus ride as a wake-up call, or an 8 hour team meeting. I don't know whether it would make a difference, but he has to try something.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

I think we're giving Augie too much credit assuming this is some rallying strategy. Haven't seen one demonstrative 'circle the wagons' moment all season. My guess is the bus rental expense was far less than buying 20+ plane tickets. Since 8 hours is in the fringe zone of drive/fly, the almighty dollar won. Just like it does with everything under SP's guidance.

9. MudHorn

MudHorn Admin Moderator

I’m inclined to agree with @BevoBeef and assume something positive here. This season has been really poor by UT standards but we have also enjoyed tremendous success from AG’s teams. Maybe he is working harder at this than we know and it just hasn’t gelled this year.

10. snek

snek 500+ Posts

Maybe this gives Augie some more um, personal time to uh, relax in the way he likes to and gets the sensation of driving without having to do so himself. Then he can get worked up and take it out on the team to, you know, get them ready.

11. CedarParkFan

CedarParkFan 1,000+ Posts

I'm giving up my season tickets next year. Patterson will soon make us the joke of the Big12. It's becoming a circus built around an athletic program that thinks it's better than it is. Seriously, as much as I hate to admit it, he epitomizes everything that others out side of the "We're Texas" crowd already knows. It means nothing unless your product matches your promotion. The average fan is being priced out. He's looking for a bigger market and we can't even sell out at home. I'm talking about football too. Hopefully he won't last long here.

• Like Like x 5
  12. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Good to see CedarParkFan back after being gone a while.

Your right, the average fan is slowly or not slowly being priced out of games in the Big 3 sports at UT. As many of us have said over and over: Patterson needs to focus on putting teams on the field, court and diamond that WIN games & championships before asking LHF members to give more & more money while raising ticket prices.

• Like Like x 4
    Last edited: May 19, 2015
  13. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

All the while he goes for broke trying to expand revenue, wooing new customers and shifting internationally. Another hard charge at Mexico was just announced from the horse's mouth. Targeting people that don't bleed orange unless there is something in it for them like being associated with a winning program they can boast about. Problem is we have nothing to offer in the form of national prominence now.

I guarantee he has zero concern about the faithful grandfathered crowd resisting his absurd demands. He thinks we'll all be here begging to pay whatever he demands regardless like sheep. Faithful has it's limits once one feels neglected, disrespected, and betrayed.

Just like the LHN suffered from poor on the field results, SP better hope and pray football makes a big jump next season. Another embarrassment coupled with already garbage treatment will run off even more longtime financial donors, like yours truly. It's a shame but I'm starting a trial season after 23 years opening the wallet. Time to see how much SP bs I can stand before next renewal time.

Something I think he is missing is how bad this no-resell may backfire. For those that typically have to pass on a few games a year due to distance, etc. the finances are gonna be inspected closely. Once some realize it costs less to buy tix for 4 games than to renew, donate, and eat unused tickets...things may get ugly. I heard this exact argument mentioned by several season ticket holders when discussing whether to renew this past time. I guess "dance with the one that brung ya" doesn't mean much at Texas these days.

• Like Like x 2
  14. shaggy refuge

shaggy refuge 500+ Posts

Ain't gonna happen! With patterson, we are toast! His coaching hires are Strong(losing first season) and Smart who has not coached game. This guy has no cred at all, other than as a shake down artist!

15. ElginHotSausage

ElginHotSausage 500+ Posts

The way our little darlings have played this year, I think they should have to hitch hike up there. harrummmmph.

• Like Like x 2
  16. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

Señor comrade loop snek offers his charter service.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  17. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

So Strong's hire is a failure because his first season was bad, after inheriting a program where recruiting had clearly dropped off in previous years?
    He has not coached a game at Texas but he took VCU to the Final Four and has won a minimum of 26 games there for the last six years -- and this is a poor reflection on Patterson?

Edit: removed insult. I blame momentary anger and beer.

• Like Like x 4
    Last edited: May 19, 2015
  18. snek

snek 500+ Posts

I have to admit, I love that little car thing. It reminds me of what they drove in the movie, Brasil.

19. WorsterMan

Here is another fleet car in snek's charter service:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  20. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

Ah, yes, the AMC Pacer. Jabba the Hut's car ...

• Like Like x 1
  21. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

We should tell the team before the season that their seed in the Big 12 tourney directly correlates with the transportation they will enjoy or endure. Anything below #4, snek's fleet is automatic. :smile1:

• Like Like x 1
  22. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

Ok, people it's fine to have a different opinion, but let's cool it, with the personal attacks.

• Like Like x 1
  23. militaryhorn

militaryhorn Prediction Contest Manager

Snek's personal ride...

[​IMG]

24. snek

snek 500+ Posts

That is my favorite number.

25. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

I am no Steve Patterson fan, frankly his decisions so far related to tickets, pricing those of us for whom a trip to Austin and attending a game is an expensive combination of hotels, gas, food etc. and monetizing every last detail of the department have been pathetic; but I cant fault the hires of either Strong or Smart, if anything they are about the only two good things that have been done by Patterson or at least that he gets credit for since I doubt it was his decision alone when it comes to Strong.

26. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Take a bus to regional, you don't mess with a streak.

27. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Yeah maybe the bus was a good idea.

28. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Since it an almost 100% probability that the games will be in one of collie station, Houston or the DFW area a bus is in order.

29. WorsterMan

The bus mojo seemed to work for this team. That had / has to be a fun bus ride back for those kids having won the tournament.

• Like Like x 1
  30. orangeblack&gold

orangeblack&gold 500+ Posts

Let's caravan.

Road trip!

• Like Like x 1