Our hire of Shaka Smart was apparently a rare move

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by Statalyzer, May 5, 2016.

1. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...-offer-its-unwise-to-target-a-list-candidates

One reason why the coaching carousel rarely seems to bring any success to most teams involved other than what random variance would expect. I do think Barnes needed to go, but I'm glad we actually went out for an upgrade rather than just the usual "as long as we kick out the current guy we've turned against, we'll be fine" mindset that seems so pervasive these days.

• Like Like x 2
  2. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

Interesting that we get listed in the top-10 elite jobs category in basketball (North Carolina, Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, Indiana, Arizona, Texas, Ohio State, Louisville or UCLA). Those other nine teams can bring a lot of trophies to a party.

I agree with your statement:

I'm glad we actually went out for an upgrade rather than just the usual "as long as we kick out the current guy we've turned against, we'll be fine" mindset that seems so pervasive these days.

I don't want to derail the thread, since Charlie Strong is seen in many different ways on here, but I wonder whether our hiring of Strong also fits that model of hiring a successful coach who wasn't running from anything, and I wonder whether it's a rarity in football, too.

3. uisge beatha

uisge beatha 1,000+ Posts

So where does Tubby Smith fall in this? Under-compensated (but not mid-major) or on the run?

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: May 7, 2016
  4. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts