Our next OC and DC

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by El Sapo, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Good stuff here.

For a 4 man D front with our personnel, and with the need for maximum pass rush capability in the Big 12, I like:

NT -- 1. Coburn; 2. Sweat
    DT -- 1. Graham; 2. Ojomo
    SDE -- 1. Bimage; 2. Jacoby Jones
    WDE (rush end) -- 1. Ossai; 2. Vaughans or Dorbah (if he's ready)

That leaves our LB corps a bit thin, but we may be 4-2-5 most of the time.

I also like this idea above of spinning down BJ Foster and/or Overshown to an LB. That equates to an improvement in team speed without sacrificing too much in the power/run stopping department.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

That was an interesting post. It's funny how we can nearly pinpoint the exact MOMENT that Texas football became flawed (2009 CCG) and haven't followed any of the advice about spread passing since. I think until we can get an OC who is willing to take that step like LSU did this past season, we're going to be stuck on the outside looking in.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Yeah, but I think Sweat starts (somewhere)

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. longhorn47

longhorn47 500+ Posts

Hank Carter or Hank Hill?

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

It’s probably Sweat or Graham as the other down DL opposite Coburn. The 2 down linemen get rotated in and out frequently. The second teamers may see 40% + of the playing time at those 2 positions. 310+ pounders often need a breather. If either Graham or Sweat end up at SDE, they would improve their effectiveness by taking off some pounds.

Another thought: in Big 12 we’ll want to maximize pass rushing effectiveness in our front 4. That probably means Bimage at SDE over Graham or Sweat. Graham at 15 (or so) pounds lighter could be really good at SDE, but I see him inside in a 4 man front.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
  6. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Now that’s out of the box! Not sure if he would be a downgrade over our recent coordinators. :yes:

7. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Bruce Feldman reporting Harrell is signing a three year contract worth $1.2/year with USC.

• Hot Hot x 1
  8. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

Ouch, we were rumored to have offered twice as much

9. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Herman owns next year. No excuses. He made his choices when he arrived and now he's making new choices.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

He has gotten every thing he has asked for since day one. He owns all of it from start to finish no exceptions.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. LHABSOB

LHABSOB 1,000+ Posts

*yawn* I’ve read for 3 weeks all the reasons why Harrell isn’t the best choice and now a lot of those same people are acting like the sky is falling because he chose to stay at USC. I’m not near smart enough to know who the right choices are for either coordinator role. Hire whoever the hell and let the results show next year on the field. If things don’t pan out then Herman has made his bed.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Hot Hot x 1
  12. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

So if Harrell is gone, what’s our likely plan b, plan c, plan d? I would think LSU will pay as much as needed to keep Brady, but maybe not.

Worst case I can see is that Beck sticks on, and Tom mostly calls the plays.

13. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

I would be shocked if that were true — 2.4/yr. versus 1.2 — and he turned it down. That is, unless our proposal had untenable restrictions associated with it, like his inability to leave without a severe penalty. But again, I find it difficult to believe this rumor.

• Agree Agree x 5
  14. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

Some are saying he was never offered, so who knows?

15. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

Some of you guys are getting waaay too carried away with the TH stubbornness/Harrell as OC link...and just fanning the flames of rumours and media speculation-driven stories in general.
    Take a chill and see how this plays out. Harrell was always a mostly media-driven (and Harrell driven) idea as far as I can see. And no one here knows what TH is or isnt doing or agreeing or disagreeing to right now. All we know...and I mean all...is that an OC has not been hired.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  16. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Then there’s Major Applewhite.

• Like Like x 3
  17. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

???

18. BurntOrangeLH

BurntOrangeLH 2,500+ Posts

I read $2M per year, but maybe only 1 or 2 years? Who really knows outside of involved parties?

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
  19. BurntOrangeLH

BurntOrangeLH 2,500+ Posts

Yeah, his first complete class will be juniors next year.

Are we patient or what?

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  20. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Burnt, come on man. He inherited real losers like Ehlinger, CJ, Duvernay, Jones, Shackelford...

Why should we be patient? Remember, we are a 7-5 team, and a FG away against Kansas from being 6-6.

Gotta give you credit. You’re much more patient than probably 90% of Longhorn Nation.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  21. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

I was not a fan of hiring Harrell, at least not with Ehlinger. I do not know why everyone was hung up on him.

A Mike Leach spread is a bad idea unless we still had Buechele.

What we need is a running option spread with our current personnel.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  22. El Sapo

El Sapo Bevo's BFF

We're not getting Brady but CDC still might have to get on an airplane before this is all said and done, I really don't know. What I do know is that this feels so much like 2015 going into 2016 that I don't even want to admit it.

• Winner Winner x 2
  23. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

Someone like Rich Rodriguez?

24. Galvestonhorn

Galvestonhorn 250+ Posts

relax. Herman will have this team loaded with all his players (recruits) including his type of QB’s before long and it isn’t going make any difference who is the OC or the DC.

Like I’ve said before, there is a reason the novices were predicting a CFP and 10-11 wins this year and the people that make a lving setting odds were saying 8 wins (and that total was juiced up).

Within 3 years we will be in the playoffs. And will be there yearly.

• Like Like x 3
  25. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

GH, you are a true believer, and always have been. I was too, until 2019 happened. Let’s hope you’re right.

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. RainH2burntO

What

• Funny Funny x 1
  27. RainH2burntO

Funny Sapo
    I posted right when this search began that I'd be fine as long as we didn't end up flying the whole calvary out at the 11th hour to meet with a 3rd or 4th option in their driveway to beg from our knees. I dont think that is where we are at all...but, there's still time...

28. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

Or we're a defensive stop against Iowa State from being 8-4

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  29. RainH2burntO

This is the problem we've had. I noted this in regards to Utahs coach in another thread. We just havent been adaptable enough to suit personel. Everyone seems to think some of the highly touted coaches just have a good system and keep trucking along with it year to year.
    This isnt so. Most successful coaches these days are so because they can and do adapt to changing personel, opponents, and other factors as the game changes (quickly).

• Agree Agree x 2
  30. #2is#1

#2is#1 1,000+ Posts

Mark Helfrich would be a home run. The Bears might fire the staff hopefully we have a binder for these situations.

• Funny Funny x 1