Our next OC and DC

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by El Sapo, Dec 1, 2019.

1. 22Horn

22Horn 500+ Posts

Don't know all that was the result of this great defensive performance but have to believe CN was the heart and soul of it....;with this kind of performance, maybe he should have been given consideration for DC. Lots of emotion from him down to all players.! Good to see!

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

I suggest his players were put in horrible situations by a terrible defensive scheme he didn't create. I don't think he will still be here in a couple weeks whether he's wanted by Ash or not because I'm betting he just earned himself a DC job at a smaller school somewhere.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. BurntOrangeLH

BurntOrangeLH 2,500+ Posts

If I can remember Eddie LeBaron, believe me I can remember that.

4. BurntOrangeLH

He did say that the game film is his résumé.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. BurntOrangeLH

Successful Head Coaches ultimately let their coordinators decide who is on their staff and who is not short of any questionable ethical concerns.

Herman could offer Naivar a consultant position but Naivar can earn much more money elsewhere.

I do not think many understand that on a personal friendship level Hermann did not want to fire any of those guys. It was all a business decision by him only.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. BurntOrangeLH

Naivar decided that Ossai is better outside and on the line if necessary to being in the middle. He saw that Jacquess was pretty good and certainly adequate enough to stop most of the up the middle runs.

Jacquess has been a preferred walk-on for 2 years and received a scholarship earlier this year.

7. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

Sabre Horn,

Can you expand on this History? In this case what if part of the agreement with Ash was he picks defensive assistants? Herman could try to keep Naivar but if Naiver can get $800K - $1M as DC at UH or ULL as an example, how Is Tom Herman a bad guy? Or if Ash has someone else he insists on? I agree that we should try to keep Naivar, but if it’s not possible how is that on Herman? It could play out privately and we may never know How everything goes down. I would think TH would try to keep Naivar if he can. Sounds like a 40/60 chance or so. Maybe you know something we don’t?

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

If it is Naivar’s choice to move on, fine, but I want to look him in the eye and tell me that. Never keep an employee from bettering himself.

if, however, Naivar wants to stay, either Herman or CDC needs to find a place for him if it means Herman pays for it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Since this whole thread is nothing but speculation right now, I have to say I agree with this take. If Naivar didn't earn AT LEAST a retention on staff with that performance, there is something seriously awry in Bellmont.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Also does Naivar have a good reputation as a recruiter. That may be a factor in keeping Naivar

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Give me one damn good reason you would “poop” that other than you have no earthly idea what you’re talking about, unless you have really low moral standards or appreciation for those who have helped you.

12. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

You sure it was on TH only? Or did CDC make those decisions. I have no idea, but my guess was Tom's hands were forced.

13. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

I don’t think TH has 100% control of the assistant hires, he had to fire TO and he had to give up some control to Ash to get the Emp Contract signed. Sabre Horn may find out the scoop on this. But I just don’t think TH has all the control right now. Of course I don’t have the scoop. So speculation.

14. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

I pooped on you because I perceived arrogance in your comments and because i can poop a load on you if I want to.
    But since you asked me so nicely I will be reread my comment.

1) "you will have heard the last nice thing I will ever say about Herman"- probably not true
    2) that if Herman let's Naivar go he is a man of no character- it's just a business decision. I personally want Naivar to stay myself as I said in a previous comment.
    3) so I thought your statement was a bit over the top and obtuse but we're all not perfect and it looks like some others didn't think much of your statement.
    4) if you can't take the heat then stay out of the kitchen.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  15. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

You are correct, you can pop anything you want including things about which you have no knowledge. Any thought of the message that sends through the coaching world or how it impacts future hires? Obviously not.

Of course, Jimmy Johnson suffers from the same disease and he did ok, just not at Texas. FWIW, he was once recommended as a potential HC, which led to similar discussions.

16. BurntOrangeLH

There is only one DC position available, I helieve.

17. BurntOrangeLH

You mean Jerrah actually sought counsel on Jimmy's hiring? That is highly speculative.

18. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I never said, nor did I imply that Jones had anything to do with hiring coaches at The University of Texas.

Jimmy Johnson took the Cowboys job to fill his ego and help out his old teammate. Problem was no one else would work for Jones.

Barry took it for one year to save his old teammate the embarrassment when no one else would take it. When Jones couldn't get anyone to take it the next year, Barry did some serious negotiations for year two.

19. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

I'm pretty sure the walk-ons were put in because two linebackers got sent home and they got a shot and made the most of it.

Okay, I gave you a poop on this because I'm pretty sure that Herman was forced into making changes in his coaching staff. I believe that if Herman had his way not a single coach would have been replaced.

We all bitched about Herman making changes and he did, we can't come back and ***** because he let someone go that did a good job this one night. I for one was surprised by the report that Naivar would be let go, I thought he did very well coaching the safeties, but lets face facts, Tom is fighting for his job and he has the right to make any changes he feels would help him do that.

Tom has two years to make this work or he is gone. I see no reason why he can't make whatever changes he wants.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  20. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

Just because Texas beat Utah is no reason to keep a particular coach. Isn't Naivar a DB coach, and isn't the new DC a DB coach ? Sounds like a problem....Someone gotta go, and it isn't the new DC.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

The new DC is just that, a DC. He is going to hire a DB coach or two. Just because his experience is as a DB coach, doesn't mean he is going to be coaching DBs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

maybe some have focused on safety production, but i really think it was the CB production that was criticized.

23. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

I remember thinking at the time that he had Cleveland (now Baltimore) on the right track until the rumors of the impending move to Baltimore derailed their season. Not like I predicted "Oh this dude is gonna win a ton of Super Bowls" or anything but I did think "I bet he'd do well if he gets hired by a more stable franchise".

I think those are two different issues. Ossai has been a beast all year long, but having him go for the offensive backfield with more initiative rather than waiting to react seems to have turned him up to a whole new level. That change could have been made regardless of whether Jaquess started or not, I think.

24. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Agreed. I didn't say retention as defensive coordinator.

25. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

The latest is that it sounds like Yurcich will also have Josh Moore available to him next season (although IT still thinks he wont make it back). He is going to have a lot of weapons available with Whittington also back.

26. PecosBill

PecosBill 1,000+ Posts

Craig Naivar - Football Coach - University of Texas Athletics

Craig Naivar, a 24-year coaching veteran with extensive experience in the state of Texas,enters his third season at Texas in 2019. He will be the co-defensive coordinator this season in addition to continuing to coach the safeties group. He was the Longhorns’ special teams coordinator in each of his first two seasons.

This is the third season for Coach Naivar at Texas.

27. BurntOrangeLH

As safeties coach, the only problem I saw in the raw freshmen Texas played was experience based. Mostly they were always there, just a little out of position or bad timing on the ball. Adimora really progressed as seen by several game changing plays against Utah. Owens will be a beast and a very fast one at that. Overshown is still developing and will be dominant.

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. BurntOrangeLH

But a he was Defensive Co-Coordinator. In any case, Ash knows these guys and will have to take a hard look before replacing them.

29. BurntOrangeLH

I think Lewis, Washington and Smith are past him although practices revealed he did well. Lewis is larger and as fast. Smith also, for that matter.

30. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

So, does J. Whitt go to WR rather than RB...? Or maybe J. Whitt is used at both WR and RB, or as a hybrid. Our RB depth is finally pretty decent with Ingram, Roschon (assuming he stays at RB), Danny Young, and some new kid from Arizona I heard about once or twice... I'm not sure if Derrian Brown makes it back by the 2020 season. Maybe J. Whitt just stays at RB. Some of it depends on who, if anyone, we lose at WR. Spring training will sort out a lot of this stuff.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020