Our next OC and DC

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by El Sapo, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

OB says Oscar Giles is staying.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Permanently moved to TE, I guess

• Like Like x 1
  3. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Moore's bio still has UT stuff and Carrington has retweeted some of his posts, so it sounds like Moore will be returning. At least that what it sounds like as of today

• Like Like x 1
  4. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

If Drayton does leave, one name being kicked around is Frank Wilson, who is available after being let go by UTSA. Although the LSU people think he will end up back at LSU

From the Wiki
    In 2011, Rivals.com named Wilson the National Recruiter of the Year. In 2014, NFL.com named Wilson the top recruiter in all of college football. In 2015, Scout.com honored Wilson as the SEC Recruiter of the Year. In 2015, LSU secured a Top 5 recruiting class, according to 247Sports. The achievement marked the first time since 2002–03 that LSU finished with back-to-back Top 5 recruiting classes in America. From 2011–2014, 29 LSU Tigers have been selected in the NFL Draft which ranks second to Alabama (30).

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  5. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

Rather than 4 posts...4 things in one:

I believe Epps has high upside potential at TE...good move

I really hope Stan stays, but, if he moves, will his move affect our relationship with Bijan and his commitment?

If Stan leaves, Frank Wilson looks like a great candidate

Something tells me Joshua Moore just might turn out to be something upon returning

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

I think Texas needs to do everything in it's power to keep Drayton, money should not be the reason for the move.

With that said, I'd love to get Frank Wilson, he is a stand up guy and can recruit his *** off.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Good. I've been arguing for Epps to move to TE. Some others have taken pot shots at this idea. I think it's overdue.

• Agree Agree x 5
  8. RainH2burntO

Dallas media now reporting Cowboys, Rams, and Longhorns competitors for Drayton's services.
    My first reaction to this is
    Jones$>Horns$

9. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Good. Moore has been punished more than enough.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

He does give interesting pass-catching options there
    But .... we use the TE alot to seal the end for stretch plays and RPOs, etc
    In the past, they said he just could not hold weight. He tried, but it didnt stick. Thats why he moved back to WR last season
    Can he beef up enough to block a big DE?
    Or, does Yurcich have other plans?

• Like Like x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  11. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Might be meaningful for Whittington too

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

^^^^THIS

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Drayton visiting with the Cowboys today
    Supposedly got offers from both Dallas and the Rams

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  14. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Emmett Jones has a $225,000 buyout at Kansas, which apparently is a hangup for us, according to the AAS

15. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

TFB thinks our next CB coach will be Jay Valai from Rutgers

16. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

Here is what I've found on the guy.

He is from Euless Texas, he was at Georgia for a couple seasons, he is young. I don't know how good he is, but it seems Ash has a lot of faith in him. I've mentioned that we need the position coaches to be on the same page as the DC in order to have a cohesive unit. If he is the hire, it's a gamble for Texas, hopefully this hire pays off.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. BurntOrangeLH

BurntOrangeLH 2,500+ Posts

Only if he learns how to really block.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  18. BurntOrangeLH

Hmmmmm .... Washington may be the safer choice. But it is Yurcich's choice.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
  19. BurntOrangeLH

Gotta pay if you want to play. That's chump blocked-views seat's change.

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. BurntOrangeLH

Watch Utah game. Watch TTU game. There are others.

Watch OU game where Roschon rips his best run going up the gut of OU. Watch the offense immediately abandon this offensive scheme. Sigh.

21. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

I felt the same way, but after doing some reading, I've done a 180 and I like the hire. All of us have, at one time or another wanted Bryan Carrington to be a assistant so he could recruit. Well maybe we just got him, except he now has real experience in some great organizations and he knows the DC like the back of his hand. And he knows DFW recruiting.

I have to be honest, when I saw his name, my first thought was, did we just hire some old fat white guy from New Jersey to be our DB coach?

• Funny Funny x 1
  22. RainH2burntO

Yes, Joe...And I think people greatly
    underestimated the loss of Brewer on the offense this season.
    Beck had the same value last year.
    You see it with the Cowboys giving Whitten more snaps in spite of Jarwin clearly being more dynamic as a receiver.
    Notice, Cade was back for the Alamo Bowl and.....voila!
    I still like Epps as a pass-catching TE, though he needs to spend all Spring working on blocking.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Beck was excellent at that seal block. Sam's QB stretch was basically a guaranteed 3 yards minimum Back's senior year because of it. Was nice to always have that in the hip pocket. But Epps is too skinny - I just cant see it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

Honestly, Beck was the Best TE we had since Dave Thomas. It's pretty hard to follow that up. I think Epps will be more valuable on the pro level than he will at Texas. Much like Michael Finley was. The team he goes to in the NFL will have time to develop him. For Texas we will get a small sample of what he will become, but he won't be nearly the player for us that he can be in the NFL. The guys I look for to really be a good all around TEs for us are Jared Wiley and Brayden Liebrock.

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

IMO Finley is a pretty high bar for Epps, but we can hope

• Agree Agree x 1
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
  26. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Official -- Jason Washington will not be retained.
    Chris Ash hiring his own CB coach

• Dislike Dislike x 3
  27. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

I'm okay with losing Washington, though I'm sad to lose an inside guy. A buddy of mine was friends with him from back in their high school days here in San Antonio. Every once in a while they would talk and he would pass on a few nuggets to me. I still don't know how a Madison guy and a MacArthur guy can be friends, it's like cats and dogs living together, but I'm going to miss the benefits of it.

28. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  29. BurntOrangeLH

Oh oh, invasion of the homies. Tells me he is not an incisive nor confident interviewer and has to go with those he knows.

• WTF? WTF? x 2
    • poop poop x 2
  30. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Jay Valai is from Euless, so knows DFW. He was with the Chiefs and UGA. He is still young, and so can probably get inside the head of kids easier. Ash's defenses were known for good play in the secondary and Valai has been around Ash for 10 years.

Article via Rutgers TheKnightReport - Meet Rutgers Football new cornerbacks coach Jay Valai
    " .... After he amassed 154 tackles and two tackles in 48 games played for Wisconsin, Valai was a trainer in Texas. He was then hired by the University of Georgia as a defensive quality control coach and helped the Bulldogs make the 2017 National Championship game against Alabama.

He then spent last year as a defensive quality control for the Kansas City Chiefs, which made it to the AFC Championship game.

Valai also spoke about Ash, crediting his wisdom of the defensive side of the ball. As a redshirt senior under Ash, Valai, who was listed on the roster then at 5-foot-9, and 205-pounds, made 42 tackles (25 solo), with a forced fumble, an interception, three pass breakups, and a blocked kick.

“Coach Ash, I feel a little taller around him,” Valai said. “He’s a great football coach and great mind. Everywhere he’s been, he’s been successful especially with his DBs in the NFL. Being around a great defensive mind every day has been tremendous.”
    Back at the college level, Valai is back recruiting, including in his home state of Texas. As mentioned, the Euless native helped trained high school and professional athletes after he days at Wisconsin and helped found the company Grindhouse Sports Training near Dallas. ..."

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2020