Our next OC and DC

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by El Sapo, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Not sure where, or even if. But he sure thinks like aggy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

TFB says ex-UT DT Frank Okam will interview for the DT assistant spot on Wed

• Like Like x 9
  3. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Is this true? If so, I always wondered if you guys gets boogers on your mouse and/or keyboard? It almost has to happen, right?
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

As proven above, those things rarely escape their mouths.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

I'm not so sure, Joe...not about the disappointment aspect... but whether we could have had them. No certainty Lupoi would have taken it without still looking at the other offers including the one he would ultimately choose and it never seemed certain Jones would jump to us even if money was a wash or slightly higher. IDK, maybe you know something I don't.
    Agree with the trepidation on BR...but it does sound like Yurich has acted swiftly and Bijan might still be settled here either way. I'm glad Drayton is still here.. at the moment. Must be a difficult decision.

6. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

Off by a year on those two contracts, but the DC was out of a job at the time so from unemployed to a 2 year deal is grand.....the OC was a step up and from what I have read, Day may not have tried to hold onto coach Y cause he wasn't a good recruiter. ( hear-say )...
    #11 Utah kinda like #5 Georgia last year....How'd that work out for us ?
    As far as career risk for a fired coach or a mere assistant to take a coordinator spot...no not a risk. To leave a losing or average program or one that has just lost its head coach to another school...not a risk. It is a risk to leave a solid power 5 program for a lateral move, or solid NFL spot to come to a school where the HC could be fired the next season. Haven't seen a so called risky move yet with the hires.
    6-6 predictions....7-5 with two last second FGs to beat KSU and KU ..... 6-6 pick was pretty close for 2019 season prediction, and next year will not be a walk in the park with Jeff Scott coaching all that talent and athleticism at USF instead of Charlie; especially with Herman's game one preparedness ( see Maryland 2017/2018). Follow that up with LSU at Death Valley...We could be 0-2 ( locker room could crumble at that point ) with an unbeaten OU ( who the refs will home it to get a Big 12 team in the play-offs ) on the horizon...Don't forget a trip to Stillwater where their QB will be seasoned and not a wide-eyed Freshman and his stud WR returning. Thats 4 very possible losses right there. Add trips to the South Plains and KSU where all kinds of crap happens to us. Then there is TCU, ISU and Baylor who all beat us this past season and have no fear of us. With our old coaching staff 6-6 for 2020 was a real possibility. Even 5-7 was out there. This new staff ???? We could go 12-1 and conference champs...or we could tank....who knows. Will just have to see how it pans out, but the new staff better be able to push the right buttons or it could be real ugly. After all the "culture" talk from Herman and his Mensa talk, this team's frame of mind could be very fragile if positive things don't happen out of the gate . Herman already has his players believing "it is really really hard to win, especially on the road".... he should be instilling "Its really really hard to lose...or really really easy to win.... if you prepare properly, execute, and play your best."

• poop poop x 4
  7. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Below is a list of complete idiots that graduated from U.C. Berkeley. For each moron, the year he or she won the Nobel Prize is listed to the left of the name, and the year the feeble-minded individual graduated from UC Berkeley is listed to the right of the name. Of course, this does not factor in common sense, but it certainly reflects on whether they are the "dumbest" group of people.

Physiology or Medicine

1944: Joseph Erlanger, 1895
    1952: Selman Waksman, Ph.D. 1918
    1978: Hamilton Smith, 1952
    2006: Andrew Z. Fire, 1978
    2009: Carol Greider, Ph.D. 1987

Chemistry
    1934: Harold Urey, Ph.D. 1923
    1949: William F. Giauque, B.S. 1920, Ph.D. 1922
    1951: Glenn T. Seaborg, Ph.D. 1937
    1960: Willard Libby, B.S. 1931, Ph.D. 1933
    1983: Henry Taube, Ph.D. 1940
    1986: Yuan T. Lee, Ph.D. 1962
    1989: Thomas Cech, Ph.D. 1975
    1993: Kary Mullis, Ph.D. 1973
    1995: Mario Molina, Ph.D. 1972
    1996: Robert Curl, Ph.D. 1957
    2000: Alan Heeger, Ph.D. 1961
    2018: Frances Arnold, Ph.D. 1985

Physics
    1955: Willis Lamb, B.S. 1934, Ph.D. 1938
    1997: Steven Chu, Ph.D. 1976
    1998: Robert Laughlin, 1972
    2004: David Gross, Ph.D. 1966
    2006: John C. Mather, Ph.D. 1974
    2011: Saul Perlmutter, Ph.D. 1986
    2011: Adam Guy Riess, Miller Fellow 1996-99
    2012: David J. Wineland, B.A. 1965
    2017: Barry Barish, B.A. 1957, Ph.D. 1962

Economics
    1980: Lawrence Klein, 1942
    1993: Douglass North, B.A. 1942, Ph.D. 1952
    2002: Daniel Kahneman, Ph.D. 1961
    2005: Thomas C. Schelling, B.A. 1944
    2011: Thomas Sargent, B.A. 1964

But what about business and building wealth? Below are a list of 10 billionaires from Forbes that are UC Berkeley grads:

• Hot Hot x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  8. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

This has been the condition of Longhorns football for 9 seasons now.
    It sure would be nice to be able to count on 10 wins again.
    This year I really don't expect us to compete for a conference championship with all the staff turnover. The new coordinators could bring lightning in a bottle like what happened at LSU this season. But more often than not, it takes a coordinator time to install their system.

I do think Herman has us headed in the right direction. The pace of Herman's progress feels glacial, though, and he has set himself back by not dealing with his coordinators more proactively.
    But hopefully we are making slow, if lasting progress.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  9. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Dislike excellence, the pursuit of knowledge, and the improvement of the human condition all you want.

Those are some of the major reasons we have universities in the first place.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. PecosBill

PecosBill 1,000+ Posts

DC Ash has $8M+ owed by Rutgers as HC contract. Not exactly collecting unemployment.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Ash comes from a DB background. He played DB in college (Drake U.), then coached DBs at ISU, SDSU, and Wisconsin. It seems like DCs most often have an LB coaching background. For this conference, having a DB background could be a good thing.

Counterpoint: Akina was a very good DB coach, but not necessarily the best D-coordinator.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

I am confident we have the players at all positions to compete at a high level and to compete for a conference championship. Perhaps we maybe a little weak at linebacker which is arguably the most important position on the defense. Any grad transfers out there?
    But I am not confident in the coaches including Herman. Perhaps the new OC, DC and assistant coaches will make a positive difference. I am, generally, a half full glass kind of thinker. If our coaches can get each and every player to believe they are a champion at what they do then anything can happen.
    I think the key to a good defense is a disruptive front four and quick-reading linebackers....just sayin.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

Chop, Sabre has a pretty historied perspective of Cal. It's always humorous, but obviously biased. you just have to go with it.

• Funny Funny x 3
  14. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

What did the leader of Josie Wales' group tell the Union officer ?

16. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

It just pisses me off. But I wont let him under my skin. It’s a new year and I am glad we made the changes to the staff and we’re going to have a good season next year! Maybe not 13-0 good but a good season. All Majestic does is fire me up to see the Horns prove him wrong! I hope Herman knows who Majestic is. We may go 13-0 if that is true! I’m quite sure he loves proving naysayers wrong like me!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  17. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Chop,

Impressive list of distinguished people, I dare say none of whom you have ever dealt with one on one. I have dealt with numbers of Berzerkley grads in Socal and the Bay Area, as well as other parts of the country, including Harris County. I base my statements on personal business interactions with them. Again, not one or two, but multiple over the years. I have watched their lack of common sense drive good companies straight in the ground. I have never met a Brezekley grad that had any common sense.

Kinda like some of my professors in the Business School - all theory, no ability to adapt to the real world.

Throw in our three presidents, and I have a very "biased" view of Berzerkley and their graduates.

Dealing on the West Coast with USC and UCLA grads, totally different. Stanford, once you prove yourself, piece of cake.

• Like Like x 2
  18. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

If you ever had a Berkley grad work for you, you will understand Sabre's comments.

19. 4th_floor

4th_floor Dude, where's my laptop?

• Like Like x 1
  20. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

21. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

General, don’t piss down my back and tell me it’s raining...

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  22. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

Hutzler has done quit well as a special teams coach at South Carolina too.

23. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Hot Hot x 1
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  24. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Here is the USCe write up on Coleman Hutzler -- besides coaching LBs who make tackles, which would be nice, it also looks like he can help on STs, another sometimes weakness for us --

Coleman Hutzler is in his fourth season at South Carolina in 2019. Hutzler joined Will Muschamp’s first Gamecock coaching staff on December 18, 2015. He coordinates the special teams efforts and coaches the linebackers.

In 2018, Hutzler special teams were special. Joseph Charlton set a school record, averaging 44.8 yards per punt, while placekicker Parker White improved from a 56.0 percent success rate in 2017 to connecting at an 81.2 clip in 2018. In addition, Deebo Samuel returned his school-record fourth career kickoff for a touchdown, tying the SEC mark. Defensively, linebackers T.J. Brunson and Sherrod Greene were the team’s top two tacklers.

In 2017, Hutzler was one of 56 nominees for the Broyles Award, which goes to the nation’s top assistant coach. Punter Joseph Charlton logged one of the school’s top single-season punting average at 43.5 yards per kick, while ranking among the nation’s top 30. Deebo Samuel returned each of his two kickoffs for touchdowns in the season’s first two games.

Defensively, linebackers Skai Moore and T.J. Brunson were the team’s top two tacklers, logging over 180 stops between them. Moore, who led the team in tackles in all four of his seasons for the Gamecocks, earned All-SEC accolades.

Under Hutzler’s tutelage in 2016, the South Carolina kickoff return team led the SEC and ranked eighth in the nation, averaging 25.8 yards per return. A trio of players, Deebo Samuel, A.J. Turner and Rashad Fenton, all returned a kick at least 50 yards, with Samuel taking one to the house from 100 yards away. Placekicker Elliott Fry became the school’s all-time leading scorer, while snapper Drew Williams was recognized as a fourth-team All-American.

Hutzler spent the 2015 season as the special teams coordinator and outside linebackers coach at Boston College. During his year in Chestnut Hill, freshman Michael Walker ranked in the top 10 in the nation in kick return average, while the Eagles were second in the nation in punt return defense, allowing just 1.66 yards per return. BC also blocked three punts on the year. Hutzler was also part of a staff that produced the nation’s stingiest defense, as the Eagles allowed just 254.3 yards per game and 24.1 percent of third down conversions and were second in rushing defense at 82.8 yards per contest.

Previously, Hutzler logged two stints at Florida, first from 2010-11 as Assistant to Linebackers and Special Teams Coordinator, then again for the 2014 season, handling special teams and outside linebackers.

In 2014, Florida had the second-best punt return average in the SEC and the 17th-best unit in the nation. UF punter Kyle Christy earned AP second-team All-SEC honors after averaging 44.3 yards per punt, the nation’s 14th-best average. As the Gators outside linebackers coach, Hutzler coached Dante Fowler, Jr. to a first-team Coaches All-SEC selection.

Between his stints in Gainesville, Hutzler was the special teams coordinator and outside linebackers coach at New Mexico from 2012-13. He coached punter Ben Skaer to first-team All-Mountain West accolades and returner Carlos Wiggins to MWC Special Teams Player of the Year and a second-team All-America honors in 2013. Wiggins returned three kickoffs for touchdowns, and the Lobos were first in the conference and 15th in the nation in kickoff returns. The Lobos improved from 112th nationally to 25th in net punting, and their punt-return defense improved to No. 19 from 106th.

Coleman Hutzler - Assistant Coach - Staff Directory - University of South Carolina Athletics

• Like Like x 1
  25. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Are we discussing trickle down economics here? ;)
    Ok. West Mall stuff.
    That's all.

• Funny Funny x 2
  26. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

You shouldn’t judge a book by its cover. But, for those of you who are worried about making ‘dude-bro’ hires...
    :smokin:

• Like Like x 1
  27. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

The assistants who were shown the door all fit that description -- Orlando, Mehringer, Beck, Meekins, Naviar and (more or less) Warehime

28. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

'Dude-bros' have a less-than-stellar recent history on the 40. Still, I wouldn't hire, or not hire, the guy based on his looks, how 'cool' he is, whether he wears his baseball cap backwards as in the picture, etc.

All that being said, he just looks like the sort of guy that will get along great with McConaughey.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  29. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

LOL. I think that, in this context at least, it means your own personal bros, those you know, already worked with. Or, as some people describe it, "friends with retirement plans."

30. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Yeah, unfortunately Tom has shown some apparent nepotism towards his pals from time-to-time.

Now that he's fighting for his job, he's had to cut them loose.