Our next OC and DC

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by El Sapo, Dec 1, 2019.

1. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

I'm not touching this^^^^
    Even this<<<<<< is too close.

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

No, it's not BS, if they aren't engaged in practice, they are engaged in recruiting. Off season is the time to work on technique. NCAA only give them around 3 hours a day for practice time during the season. They will spend time in film room and then it's recruiting. That is the life of a college football coach.

Lets also not forget that each position has a lot of guys they have to train. We have 16 offensive linemen, we have about 16 Dbs, we have 7 Dts, we have 4 RBs, We have about 12 Wrs, I think we have about 7 or 8 Linebackers etc.

You have an unrealistic view of what the coaches can do.

At least Tom Herman has realized that he needed to find coaches that knows how to do more than just recruiting. Lets also understand that in all of this the only guy that is under fire here is Mehringer. No one said this about Washington, Naivar, Orlando, and Beck. mehringer was a cancer of a coach and it almost destroyed Tom Herman's career.

All the assistants had their issues especially Wareheim, Beck and Orlando, but some guys lost their job because of how badly other coaches did (Orlando I'm looking at you).

3. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

Were you playing or coaching ? If playing, you didn't really know jack squat about what went on behind closed doors in the coaches meetings. Austin_Bill is talking about how a PRACTICE is RUN. I am talking about how coaches actually deal with planning, developing, and incorporating teaching the players during those practices. If the HC and coordinators don't know what the hell the assistants are doing, you have total confusion within the staff.... Hell...maybe THAT has been our problem all along. Dumb***** running the show.

4. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

Let me get this straight, you think after a 3 hour practice, that the head coach is going to spend an additional 7 to 10 hours watching film of that practice to see what his assistants are doing? You think each coordinator has time to spend an additional 4 or 5 hours seeing what the position coaches are doing? Then you think they get together to talk about it?

<Shaking head>

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

Maybe Austin_Bill is right.......Maybe our staff doesn't have a clue as to what each is teaching our players. Maybe Herman and his staff simply sit around shooting the finger at the LHN camera in their offices instead of discussing and going over details of how to train their players. It answers the question as to why our players aren't being developed,and could be the answer as to why we keep losing to OU, Baylor, TCU, ISU, etc...and having to kick last second FGs to beat Kansas.

• poop poop x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

No..... You don't need 7 to 10 hours of film....Hell I can look at the players during 7 on 7 drills, 11 on 11 drills, and/or scrimmage sessions during practice and see what they are being coached to do......and if they aren't doing what I want done, I'd have a skull session with the OC/DC, or position coaches after practice to get it fixed ...and If I need to look at any film it isn't going to take me 7 hours to do it.

7. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

You just said you think the coaches should review practice film. Position coaches know their players, yet you think a head coach might go up to an assistant coach and say Hey Joe over here isn't performing maybe you have another guy that is better. Yea coach, I did have this one guy I was holding back for a rainy day. I'll plug him in tomorrow.

<Shaking head again>

8. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Some of both.

9. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

I don't understand why you aren't being paid by UT, you being such a knowledgeable coaching genius and all.

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. 22Horn

22Horn 500+ Posts

Sangre, very good point!

11. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

It’s all I can do to keep from getting kicked off this board telling him what I really think.

Which is likely what he wants both of us to do. We just need to ignore Majestic. He is just trying to insight negative reactions and get pooped.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Uh, nevermind

13. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Good thread to peruse if you are interested in the topic

• Like Like x 1
  14. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

McGuire's son is now enrolled at Baylor so this probably played a role

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. BurntOrangeLH

BurntOrangeLH 2,500+ Posts

Could not meet UT entrance requirements?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  16. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

I couldn't meet the requirements back in the 80's, I am damn sure I wouldn't meet them today. I dare say that is probably most of us in this forum.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

More like... Hey Joe your WRs are running lazy routes..FIX IT !! Your DBs aren't getting their heads around...fix it. etc, etc, etc....and yes, hey Joe lets get player X more reps with first group, I like what he is doing....etc, etc.... HC and OC/DC should be involved. After all the performance ( W-L ) determine keeping their jobs. If Orlando and Beck had been more hands on maybe they wouldn't have lost their jobs. If Herman had been more hands on maybe he wouldn't be on a hot seat....and maybe Texas would have been Big 12 Champions in 2018 and 2019 instead of OU.

18. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

Or maybe, just maybe, they were hands on and just not getting the results out of their players and that is why they lost their jobs. You keep assuming that because of the accusations against one coach is an indictment against all the coaches.

Todd Orlando lost his job because he couldn't adjust his defense to match the strengths and weaknesses of the players he was coaching. To that end he took down Washington and Naivar as well. Neither of which deserved to lose their jobs but that is what happens when you have to make wholesale changes.

Mehringer was a recruiter first, but his lack of coaching almost destroyed the offense. Beck was a great recruiter and QB coach but fell short as a play caller. Herman tried to keep him but he found a better gig than the one that was offered. Wareheim should have been fired long ago, he can't recruit, he sucked as an offensive line coach and sucked worse as a special teams coach.

Tom's biggest failure was bringing in so many of his coaches from U of H, he never should have done that. He should have given them a chance to interview, but should have also done his homework and went after the best out there. He would have saved himself a lot of grief.

19. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

I don't entirely disagree with you Majestic. As usual, I find myself disagreeing more with your communication style.

You make it sound as if these things should be easy to do and the fact that the player development did not necessarily happen is proof that Tom Herman didn't even give the feedback his position coaches needed to hear.
    Sure, if Tom Herman only tried your brilliant idea of telling them their glaring weaknesses we'd national champions...
    Fact is, its not that simple, and if they were, anyone (ie you or me) could be a college football HC, and college football would also be as boring / pointless as Quiddich.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Different coaches handle things different ways. Some are more the CEO type. Some are micro-managers. Some are in between. Some gravitate towards the unit they used to coach back when they were position coaches. Others don't. Some are former OCs and function like a 2nd OC--looking over the shoulders of the actual OC and interjecting himself into the actual OC and QB coaching roles. Others do likewise for defense. Others don't.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. BurntOrangeLH

As Herman has demonstrated and mentioned, at big schools like UT, the HC is more of a CEO and PR type role. He has to maintain a relationship with the players, his coaches, the administration, the fans he mostly never meets, the alums and BMD, the press, the recruits and their coaches and parents, and maybe oversee practices on the side. One on one coaching is a luxury for a HC.

22. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

It depends on the head coach. For instance, I would imagine Leach injects himself heavily into the offense (of whatever team he happens to be coaching), functioning like a 2nd OC.

23. BurntOrangeLH

Oh, sure, but programs like aOSU, ND, Alabama, whoever is actually making money playing NCAA football, the additional peripheral duties are too great.

24. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  25. BurntOrangeLH

So blessed I had the opportunity to play so well in the Super Bowl.

Updated your way too modest account, Coach Coleman.

Most yards gained, game 244 yards Andre Coleman (San Diego)
    Most kickoff returns, game 8 Andre Coleman (San Diego)
    Most kickoff return yards, game 244 yards Andre Coleman (San Diego)

• Like Like x 1
  26. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

If you're returning 8 kickoffs in a game, your team is probably getting its collective *** kicked.

27. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Yeah they were down 42-10 when Coleman did this. I'm sure SF was quite humiliated. So much so that they walked down the field on the following possession and got Jerry Rice his 3rd TD of the game.

28. BurntOrangeLH

It did but Coleman was superb. All of his (then record) yardage was on returns.

• Like Like x 1
  29. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  30. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Eric Nahlin thinks Herman is making a mistake moving Giles to the DE. He think Giles should be keep on the DTs

".... I will say they should have hired a DE coach and moved Giles inside. This will be an unforced error on Herman’s part..... the positions are different. You coach a defensive end differently than you coach a defensive tackle. They need a better instructor for pass rushers....... It took years for people to understand (Giles is) just an okay recruiter. He’s an okay teacher, too, but if you’re going to a four-man front they should have brought in a better teacher for pass rush. .... I have an NFL player and former NFL player in the coaching ranks saying the same."