Our Zone

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by LazyEngineer, Jan 22, 2008.

1. LazyEngineer

LazyEngineer 500+ Posts

2. LazyEngineer

LazyEngineer 500+ Posts

Our man defense looks pretty good. Mason in particular was really getting after it. The zone - not so much. EVERY time they would go on a run we would be in the zone. I was shocked at how open some of the 3's were. Not good at all.

3. unpaintedhuffhines

unpaintedhuffhines 1,000+ Posts

our perimiter zone coverage is non-existent

4. LazyEngineer

LazyEngineer 500+ Posts

I found myself wondering how a 3-2 zone would do. Let Abrams guard the point and then put Mason and Augustine on the wings. At least then we could defend the 3's.

5. ballrific

ballrific 500+ Posts

it's tough running a 2-3 zone when your 2 up top are under 6' tall; they shouldn't be surprised when the other team starts hitting 3's, even when guarded.

6. LovinTheAtx

LovinTheAtx 250+ Posts

Its funny cause its true....

7. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin 25+ Posts

I didn't think our man was particularly good, with the exception of Mason. Eton seemed to blow by DJ, and Connor is petty slow at shuffling side-to-side.

The defense did get a lot better in the second half. The soft full court press was effective in taking valuable time off OSU's shot clock.

One reason Barnes may employ the zone is to give DJ a little rest. We need him on the floor, and he doesn't have to work as hard in the zone.

Overall, this has got to be one of Barnes' worst defensive teams.

8. fall01nk

fall01nk 250+ Posts

I kind of like the idea of a 3-2, but have a feeling our rebounding would suffer...not that we control the boards anyway.

9. Dirty Martin

Dirty Martin 500+ Posts

You do realize that OSU only scored 10 points over the last 12 1/2 minutes of the game. That includes the desperation 3 pointer with 2 seconds left. Our defense won that game for us.

10. CharlestonHorn

CharlestonHorn 25+ Posts

I think they're not scoring much in the last part of the game was due more to them going ice cold, rather than our defense shutting them down. Our zone is only as good as the other team's outside shooting touch, and sadly when we give them so many open shots, their shooting percentage tends to be pretty good.

11. ldogg53

ldogg53 500+ Posts

go back an watch the film.... the man defense was tough.. that was what kept us in the game... the 2-3 zone was getting destroyed...

and yeah, even if AJ and DJ execute properly on the defensive side of the 2-3 we're in trouble.... the zone requires you to move quickly and occupy space... keep your hands up... when you have 2 guys a 6' - 160lbs out there it doesn't take much to shoot over them even when they are in position... in a man defense they pester the opponent into killing clock and making mistakes... nothing free nothing cheap... not so much when we go zone...