Out of gas, brakes seized up

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Detective Shilala, Oct 11, 2021.

1. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

Sorry couldn’t help it.
    Too soon?

Any way what I really wanted to say is I am in it for the long haul. For whatever that is worth. I pointed out on another thread how we have had 100% turnover in our coaching staff 3+ times in the last 9 years. That is insane. There has been zero continuity in this program for over a decade. Think about that.

Honestly it is starting to feel like we are cursed by the football Gods. And maybe this is why. What team runs the table in the first year under a new head coach? It’s disappointing the way we have lost but most of us were predicting 8 or 9 wins before the season started. We still have a lot to play for. (Maybe OU shits the bed and we get a rematch)

If we EVER truly believed Sarkisian was the right hire (and most of you did) then I hope we as a fanbase show patience.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

I agree. I think Sark is the right coach for us.
    Looking back at all the pre season posts at that time most appeared to know defense would be the biggest problem
    Most predicted a loss to ou
    Maybe a deep breathe would help

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Giovanni Jones

Giovanni Jones 2,500+ Posts

I agree too. And I admit to being impatient to see results.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. MeatHeadHorn

MeatHeadHorn 1,000+ Posts

Seniors on this team have had 3 different DC’s and often those are the ones struggling the most. Give the guys continuity. Even Aggy laughs at us for twitchy, fire the coach attitudes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

Sark is the right guy.
    Anyone notice the recruiting going on? Once that piece is back like it was when Mack was here, UT will be fine.

• Like Like x 5
  6. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Coaches are responsible for schemes and fundamentals. K's scheme for this season is wrong for the Big XII, but that should not be a surprise to anyone. Next season will be his make-or-break season.

Fundamentals are taught starting with the first day of practice in junior high/middle school. Those stupid-*** drills for the first part of every practice are meant to condition reflexes and not to think. By the time they get to the university level they get drunk on face-time and think more than react. Every player on the Texas defense knows what and how to handle any situation which is all a coach can do. What happens on the field is on the players.

7. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

I generally like this guy Josh Pate's opinions.

One part he mentions is the recruiting pitch for Sark after this year. When he is in a player's home and can say the only difference in this ball game was we didn't have enough players like you.

IMO, this game shows its about depth of talent. I love a lot of our players. But the stables aren't full.
    We started off the game controlling the LOS. OU had total control by the end.
    The LOS is where OU edges us. We need stables full of lineman.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. p_town_horn

p_town_horn 1,000+ Posts

I hope Sark is working the transfer portal like he's Scotty on the Star Ship Enterprise. We need 2-3 transfer o-line and d-line badly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Maybe we all are. But we're 3-10 against Oklahoma since Colt left, and we have now lost in consecutive years to both of the most vulnerable teams they've had in a while. They will probably be a lot harder to beat next year or even this December should we make it that far.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Just have to be patient...

11. Horn2RunAgain

Horn2RunAgain 2,500+ Posts

What bugs me is we will likely win 8 or 9 games and people will be happy. We've turned into aggy with the wait till next year ****. It's gone on for 10 years, only exceptions being when even the most optimistic posters /fans realize the latest hire was a bust.

Look, we need to realize we aren't in the b12 anymore. The sec is right around the corner and we're stuck with a HC that in his best years as HC his record would be viewed as unacceptable here. How did we get to this place? We need to get out asap but 34 million is invested in an alcoholic that has never won big.

• WTF? WTF? x 2
    • poop poop x 2
  12. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

We've just got to get better. Football is hard.

I think firings would be in order if TH was still here. But he's not, so we ride it out and figure out player personnel changes in the offseason... or even halftime.

Good news:
    • OK State and ISU are the only teams remaining on our schedule that actually play semi-competent D. After last week, I don't think OK State keeps us "down" on that side of the ball. We're going to see some angry runs by Bijan and better OL play at home. ISU on the road might be a different story, but if the game was tomorrow, I think the same thing would apply to them.
    • I know this sounds insane, but Whitt getting hurt will free up Casey to actually go through a progression instead of forcing a bailout throw to him. Moore will get involved, and I really want to see what Washington and Dixon can do as well. Whitt's jet sweeps can be replaced by K. Robinson and Dixon, or even do more direct snaps to Roschon who can flip it to a motion man or run himself.
    • The TEs seemingly get more and more looks each week.
    • WVU is tanking after looking promising early on. We should roll them as well as both Kansas teams.
    Bad news:
    • It doesn't seem likely that anyone on D (outside of Jett Bush) is going to lose playing time due to his performance in the OU game. This is a depth issue. Charlie Strong in 2015 would have thrown in all of the freshmen by now.
    • Jerrin Thompson is still getting all of the looks at the position that Chris Adimora should be playing. Go watch the Williams long TD run and Brooks' last TD to take the lead with :03 seconds to see how ol' Jerrin did.
    • We have depth at LB. The reliance on who's getting all the LB minutes is unlikely to change. I saw Jaylan Ford and Ben Davis make some plays on Saturday, so it's confusing to say the least. Overshown and Brockermeyer are not a "unit" in the traditional sense. They'll make random plays that we see as highlight stops, with emphasis on the word "random." No consistency.
    • Baylor is good when Bohanon is on. I'm not scared of playing in Waco, but stranger losses have happened.
    I still think that we finish 9-3 in the regular season and potentially back our way into the CCG, assuming whoever beats us loses another game too.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. MeatHeadHorn

Yes... but every coach brings their own playbook and philosophy. How you play the ball in the air, hand and eye technique, etc. Manning said something the other night on MNF about it often being harder to forget an old playbook then learn a new one. Hence why seniors with 3 different DC's are going to have a harder time then fresh bodies. Again, not making excuses for players, arguing for coaching continuity.

• Like Like x 1
  14. horninchicago

They all forgot how to defend a simple counter play.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. Hillcityhorn

Hillcityhorn 100+ Posts

Even IF and it's a big IF, we make it to rematch vs the land thieves, just how do you think the officiating will be in a game with a 12-0 or 11-1 OU team vs a 10-2 or 9-3 Texas team?!?! Just look how it went in 2018. They were holding Humphrey & Collins all game. Or just look at the rematch of ISU last year. Big12 has it rigged to benefit OU or whoever is fave to(which is OU because they are good &get calls all season) make CFP by making a round Robin schedule & conference championship game. So when they win, it is spun, " Look at OU avenging their regular season loss to _______" or "Look how great OU is for beating a great team twice, wow they have won like 82 conference titles and Lincoln Riley is the best bro coach ever!!"

16. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

I think those plays are part of a "spectrum" of problems that we have trouble addressing. When you have a 6-man front where Brooks is running a counter to the left, everyone favors right and the DBs are all in man, a reasonable person (or someone who plays a lot of Madden on PS4) would say "oh I need to abandon the play and attack the ball." I think Overshown is good at this. I don't think anyone else is. A flip side of this is that I think they do quite well on NOT abandoning the play when it's something like a screen. We're a lot better at those than, say, 10 years ago.

My big issue with the D is that the DL is basically schemed out of every play, and they're arguably our most talented unit. We have them occupying the OL instead of attacking. All of our hands on the ballcarrier and hits have to come from the LBs and DBs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. MeatHeadHorn

That cannot be denied

• Like Like x 1
  18. horninchicago

It's a serious accusation. You are suggesting the refs at games all agree to actively make incorrect calls to favor a team so their conference is represented in the Playoff. That's what you are suggesting.

I know Sabre will likely agree with you, but I think it is absurd and makes us sound like the people from another big school in Texas.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. MeatHeadHorn

Watch the Caleb long run, if you can stomach it again. OU is in 13 personnel (1 back THREE TE's) and we are not even close to match them numbers wise. 3 Tight ends to left side of line and we don't shift. We had one chance to make a tackle there and then he's gone. That is simple numbers/hat on hat football and either scheme issue or players not adjusting to it on the field with a known check and we arent in the film room to know which it is.

20. horninchicago

How do we explain the VY to Selvin TD in the 2006 Rose Bowl game when Vince's knee was down? USC was the media darling. No one wanted tp see Texas win.

The whole narrative of the refs actively all screwing Texas is so absurd.

21. MeatHeadHorn

I may wear a tin foil hat every now and then, but I don't have any orange colored foil. Big 12 officiating just seems to suck in general as much as OU

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. horninchicago

Yep. They just suck. Not because any other reason but incompetence.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Vino Bevo

Vino Bevo Wine - how classy people get drunk

Agreed - Big 12's finest couldn't carry the jock of those handling my nephew's middle school games. Texas has been negatively impacted by, and also been the beneficiary of, plenty of their errors over the years and to suggest they're doing it on purpose gives them WAY too much credit for the ability to think, coordinate and execute that sort of scheme.

All the talk about refs screwing us, fire the coaches after six games, players are a bunch of wusses, etc. is really makes us sound like the sheep-lovers east of here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Agreed. Same with the 2009 CCG. Think of even the 2015 OK State game (if you dare) and how they just kept calling stuff that made absolutely no sense... yet we still could have won the game if we executed.

I think the only time you can "blame" refs for the outcome is if they literally miss a call on the last possession of a game-winning-losing-tying situation. Idaho State has a small beercan domed stadium (like Idaho) and they kicked a game-winning FG straight through the uprights. It bounced off the back wall of the arena and back into the field of play. No ref saw it go through because they weren't lined up correctly, which is unreviewable, and they called the game over. THAT'S egregious.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. horninchicago

I screamed at the TV for years rewatching that game on LHN. Damn you Keith Jackson! But now, with the burnt orange glasses off, they were right. Plus, they could have easily spotted Lendale that first down that he didn't get, allowing the ball back to Texas. And, the facemask on Cosby that continued the drive.

And on and on. Texas has had as many favorable calls through the decades as craptastic calls.

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. Hillcityhorn

Hillcityhorn 100+ Posts

What was the beneficial calls in 2009 CCG?
    The ball hit the stands right at 1 second left, so they got it right.

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. horninchicago

That wasn't me who said that, it was Horns11. I believe that was the correct call, but I also think Horns11 may have ben referring to other call sin that game. He will have to answer that.

28. Hillcityhorn

Hillcityhorn 100+ Posts

The facemask call? That's a stretch, besides USC had a chance to stop VY/Texas and they didn't. I agree that there has been calls in our favor, but I am pointing out calls vs OU. Again, ask the other big 12 schools about officiating when they play OU. I mean our pass rush is always non existing vs OU because their OL is so much better than our DL?!? Please. Smh.

29. horninchicago

Okay.

I think most agree around here that their line is better than ours. It has been discussed ad nauseam. Texas has no depth, OU does, etc.

But, hey man, whatever makes you feel good. Damn refs.

30. Horn2RunAgain

Horn2RunAgain 2,500+ Posts

I guess Tulane, k state, West Virginia, Nebraska all have more defensive quality depth than us.

Oh, what we wouldn't give for a thing called spring training. Where coaches are allowed to coach up players already on campus. Wouldn't something like that be awesome ?

• Agree Agree x 1