Outdoor electrical outlet

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by denchen, May 30, 2006.

1. denchen

denchen 100+ Posts

I need to add an outdoor electrical outlet in order to operate an outdoor fountain (also to run electrical lawn equipment like a hedge trimmer, etc.). I've been told that this type of work really is best done by a licensed electrician. Can any of you give me an idea of how much this would cost? What are factors that influence the cost? Distance from existing house? Number of outlets added? Any info you care to pass on would be great. I live in Austin, so you can even go as far as recommending an electrician that you trust. Thanks.

2. flyin shoes

flyin shoes 25+ Posts

ttt.

I need to get the same thing done.

3. 7Titles

7Titles 500+ Posts

I ran one off the electrical that goes to the AC unit outside. Pretty easy, I use it for lawn crap.

I also drilled thru our brick mortar into a wall just next to an outlet to run a line out to our little shop building. Its not hard but if you havent done any wiring I wouldnt do it.

4. denchen

denchen 100+ Posts

that pretty much describes me...haven't done any wiring or electrical stuff before. the idea of me running wires from existing outlets, drilling thru brick and wall, and other stuff like that has my wife very, very nervous. so if anyone can give me a general idea of how much an electrician would charge for something like that, it would be great. i know i can get one to come out and give me a quote, but thought i'd ask here to see if anyone has an idea.

5. washparkhorn

washparkhorn 2,500+ Posts

A simple outlet (on the house) should take no more than an hour to put in. Here (Denver) there is usually a minimum of $75 to $100 for the trip. Figure an electrician (alone) at a minimum of $40 per hour. A two man team will be more, but will get the job done faster.

If you are running the outlet to another building, you have to add in the time to trench, install conduit for the romex to run through (if necessary), and putting in the outlet. I would think this could take a 1/2 day easy for a guy working by the hour. You may want to trench it yourself (ask the electrician how deep and wide to dig - again here in Denver I think it is 12 inches deep by 4 inches wide for running romex without a conduit).

The cost of the material is fairly small - it is the labor that adds up.

Good luck. It really isn't that hard to do yourself, but I understand the reluctance (I won't touch gas lines myself, but enjoy electrical work).

6. denchen

denchen 100+ Posts

thanks for the reply. it seems like the job i'm looking to have done will be somewhere in between the two you described.

7. smwhorn

smwhorn Guest

if it outdoors, you need to have a ground fault circuit interrupter installed, not just a simple outlet.

8. washparkhorn

washparkhorn 2,500+ Posts

Good point swmhorn.

9. dahorns

dahorns 250+ Posts

dechen I sent you a PM with the name of two pretty good "handi-man" I use when I dont' have time or "courage" to DIY stuff at my home or rentals

10. denchen

denchen 100+ Posts

thanks dahorns, got your PM and sent you a reply.