Outrageous car registration fees

Discussion in 'Quackenbush's' started by brandons87, May 9, 2008.

1. brandons87

brandons87 250+ Posts

Some states charge 20% of the puchase price to register when you move states.

Thats ridiculous. I spent 12k on a 2001 Kia Rio and now that I'm moving states I have to pay $2400 just for the privilege of registration?

Scandalous.

I'm seriously considering photoshopping some registration stickers for my car to avoid this highway robbery

2. MGS

MGS 500+ Posts

Which state did you move to?

3. UofTOrange

UofTOrange 250+ Posts

FYI, that never happens if you don't leave the greatness of Texas

4. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

Unbelievable. Another reason never to enter enemy territory.

5. Longhorn_Fan68

Longhorn_Fan68 1,000+ Posts

Could you not just keep it registered in your home state?

6. KC-97HORN

KC-97HORN 500+ Posts

so lemme get this straight.

They are charging you 20% of your purchase price on a 7 year old vehicle? when you already paid the taxes to another state?

Wow, you may have to strongly consider visiting Texas and re-register for another year, and then sell the car before your next years registration runs out.

I have never heard of anything that stupid before.

7. brandons87

brandons87 250+ Posts

I thought about keeping my car registration in Maryland (where I was at previously). However, I dont think I can do that because my car insurance will be void if they find out I'm driving in another state right?

8. Hornius Emeritus

Hornius Emeritus 2,500+ Posts

Are you sure that is correct, Brandon?

20% of the new price is way more than you originally paid in sales tax.

I just wouldn't re-register your care there.

9. MilkmanDan

MilkmanDan 1,000+ Posts

10. FondrenRoad

FondrenRoad 1,000+ Posts

The guy at the DMV in NY and his supervisor tried to pull this same **** on me when i moved up here. I had a 626 that was 8 years old, I had paid taxes on in Texas, and he wanted to tax me again on it in NY based on my purchase price 7 years before. We got into it bigtime. After 30 minutes of arguing. I said f**k you, and walked out. Supervisor screamed at me they're gonna audit me. I screamed back that I'll make sure that waste of money comes out of his salary.

After I calmed down, I got the main office in Albany on the phone. She said that was ridiculous. I don't have to pay any taxes on it since I've had it for a while. If I would have had it for less than a year, I would only have to pay the difference between NY and TX. Never under any circumstances would I have to pay full taxes in both states. She said go back and have the guy call me. I went to a different branch. Paid the registration fee. Not even a mention of taxes this time, so I didn't even need to call her.

I'd make sure if I was you. There's no way that's legit.

11. TxStHorn

TxStHorn 1,000+ Posts

It's just the opposite, here.
    My step brother was in the Navy and stationed in Florida, where he purchased his car. He maintained his Mom's Texas address as his permanent one.

He wanted to have Texas plates on it, like any proud Texan, so I went to the DMV with him.

TxDMV insisted on charging him sales tax on his 3 year old car before registering the car in Texas, because he was a Texas resident.

But, they said, if he was moving here from another state
    , he would only need to pay the regular $65 (at the time) registration fee.

So instead of screwing carpetbaggers[​IMG] , Texas choses to screw its own citizens on this particular issue.

12. Bookman

Bookman 1,000+ Posts

He should have told them he'd already paid sales taxes. Or had he?

13. FondrenRoad

FondrenRoad 1,000+ Posts

It's different when you're already a resident. They don't want you tax shopping. You're supposed to have your car registered where you're a resident, so they're gonna charge you the taxes they think they should have got when you first bought the car. It should still be the difference between rates though, and not complete double taxation.

14. MGS

MGS 500+ Posts

15. Bookman

Bookman 1,000+ Posts

If I'm a Texas resident, where the tax rate is 8.25%, and I buy a car in State A and pay, for example, 6%, Texas can charge me the extra 2.25% when I cross the border.

In fact, I think I'm supposed to make the payment to the state automatically.

16. HatDaddy

HatDaddy 1,000+ Posts

sales tax on vehicles in Texas is 6.25%

17. Bookman

Bookman 1,000+ Posts

Do the local jurisdictions get to impose another 2%?

18. Bob in Houston

Bob in Houston 2,500+ Posts

19. HatDaddy

HatDaddy 1,000+ Posts

20. PiGuy

PiGuy 250+ Posts

We just moved from Texas to Ohio and paid 50 bucks to register the car in Ohio. Done and done.

21. homer

homer 500+ Posts

I don't think this is right.

What state are you moving to? from where? how long ago did you buy the car?

22. SullHorn

SullHorn 100+ Posts

I just moved to Colorado from Wyoming. The city I lived in had a 5% sales tax, Denver has a 7.25% sales tax. On top of that, both states have an excise tax registration--meaning that my wife's new Volvo has about a 600 dollar yearly registration. yay.