Overly optimistic?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Pickle_Nuts, Oct 3, 2022.

1. Pickle_Nuts

Pickle_Nuts Will travel with tickets.

With a big rivalry game and four games against ranked opponents left, can Sark & Co get into the playoff discussion? Yes, BIG10 still has some huge games on the horizon and the SEC will be even tougher, out of the ACC (with a suspect Clemson) the Big 12 and PAC whatever they are, can Texas squeak into the Playoffs?

Playoffs? Don’t talk about, playoffs. I just hope we can we win a game. - Jim Mora

Just daydreaming.

2. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Unfortunately no. Losing to Tceh closed that door.

Besides, before the season started, ESPN declared the 4 teams would be Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State, and Clemson. Whatever ESPN wants, ESPN gets.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

No playoffs this year.
    Tech put us in a tough spot.
    Best case...and Id be thrilled with it....is to get into the CCG, win it, and go to a NY6 bowl.....and win it.
    Cant lose more than 1 more conference game..if that...to earn that opportunity.
    Better hope for help if you do lose 1 more.
    Now what would really impress me and everyone else would be to win out the rest of Big12 regular season. That would certainly mean a new day has dawned...tough to do.
    I honestly think anything above losing 1 more but sneaking into the CCG with help is probably overly optimistic....but it could happen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

@ OSU followed by @KSU! Yikes! Be lucky to get out of that 1-1.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

We play purple teams

• Funny Funny x 3
  6. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Playoffs? No. Even if we're 11-2, there's likely to be four teams out there with 1 or 0 losses. And we still probably haven't played the top 3 teams in the conference yet, so I'm gonna tap the brakes quite a bit before predicting we do anywhere near that well.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. erbutch

erbutch 500+ Posts

Lot of orange kool-aid here. Too many good teams left to play yet. I am still looking at 6 and at the most seven wins. I hope I am wrong. We gotta beat OU first,before i get optimistic. They always seem to want it more than we do. This team has a lot of growing to do before we are contenders.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. hornde68

hornde68 250+ Posts

Texas has the talent to win all the rest. Talent, built with quality experience. Everty game played makes every freshman less so. And more experienced. UT has played very young thus far. By necessity. We have played seriously hurt/diminished and have gimped through. Think about a fully loaded offense (the one that was shredding Ala) lengthening drives or scoring. Instead of 3 and out. We have stud edge players who are just getting their legs against DI men. Finckly. Tapp, etal. We are not overmatched anywhere but must play hungry and mad for 60 minutes,

• Like Like x 3
  9. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

We’re 3-2 through 5 and aside from Alabama, we have played a solid game against only one team not named ULM or UTSA, and it was at home. And, we did it against a team (at home) expected to finish in the bottom half of the conference. We did not look good in the one conference game we have played on the road.

Can we go 10-2 and win the conference? Perhaps. But to do so we will have to see a repeat of last Saturday for the next 8 games. That’s a very tall order and so far, none of us have seen an indication that we can do so.

Not saying that we can’t. Just saying that I haven’t seen anything — yet — to indicate that we can.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. HTownBevo

HTownBevo 250+ Posts

Beating ou can put a substantial energy into this team. The conference is a bit upside down right now. Kansas WILL NOT win the Big 12. Texas certainly will have an opportunity to do so with a win in the Cotton Bowl. Can Horns win out? Idk. But if they do, they certainly can get into the playoffs. ESPN is pushing a formula that favors the Horns winning out - and they’re pushing it pretty hard.

11. erbutch

erbutch 500+ Posts

I dont know espn.Whats his number? He must be pretty good to help us win out.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Pickle_Nuts

I don’t like games in Manhattan, never have and probably never will. The wicked witch of the east must hold mojo over the dang stadium. When Bill was coach I would think, its a decent team which is very well coached and then when Ron came in it was the same.

13. NJlonghorn

NJlonghorn 2,500+ Posts

Overly optimistic? Nope, not me.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Hot Hot x 1
  14. Giovanni Jones

Giovanni Jones 2,500+ Posts

A most sobering analysis.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. longhornlegend

longhornlegend 1,000+ Posts

Since we are in uncharted territory, the real answer is what kind of defense do we have for the rest of the year. I believe the offense can put up enough points to win every one of those games with the possible exception of ok state. We have shot ourselves in the foot to many times to take the bait. We have to prove we belong and that jury is still out to fair minded folks. We need improved OL play and improved D and we could run the table. Still hope for it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

My emotions exactly.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

As usual Legend is right.
    We COULD do it.
    So we can still HOPE for it.
    Will certainly know Sat afternoon

18. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

I want to be drinking from the skulls of our enemies Saturday night

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
  19. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Properly cleansed of course

20. Pickle_Nuts

Then he will need to wait until Sunday.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  21. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Perhaps surprisingly, I agree.

As of now the OL and D play are good enough to win most of our remaining games. Continued improvement means we could win them all.

22. George Bailey

George Bailey No beans in my chili, thank you

the smell of fecal matter is hard to remove. I'll just have a frozen mug, please.

• Funny Funny x 1
  23. Giovanni Jones

Giovanni Jones 2,500+ Posts

My antiseptic of choice
    [​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. HTownBevo

HTownBevo 250+ Posts

Butch ESPN is too slow moving laterally to help us much. But given that what ESPN wants, ESPN gets - then it’s obvious ESPN wants Texas to win out With that given, then one could summit that they would support a Longhorn presence in the playoffs.

25. Sangre Naranjada

I'll see your Tanqueray and up you one
    [​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  26. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

The flavor of this victory requires marrow, gristle, meat, and savory tones of inflicted suffering on the palate
    Maybe the ladies should procure a gentle corn dog instead

• Funny Funny x 1
  27. Sangre Naranjada

Got it. Zima for Driver 8!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  28. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

with two losses we won't be in the playoffs.
    I love the thought of finishing10-2 but we are not going to beat OSU and probably not KSU.
    Ewers would have to play lights out or we would have to get a mess of turnovers.
    Ewers is still a first year player and we are not getting any turnovers as it is.

• Hot Hot x 1
  29. HalRex

HalRex 1,000+ Posts

Wasn’t Trevor Lawrence a true frosh when he won the natty? Not saying that we’ll make the playoffs but there are several examples of freshman QBs performing at a high level and love me some QE. Count me as optimistic!

• Like Like x 1
  30. beaVo

beaVo 500+ Posts

i hate the word “natty.”

also hate “tracking”, “awesome”and “hilarious.”

that is all. back to you guys.

• Like Like x 1