Overshown refusing to practice until players' demands are met

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Htown77, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

Well if he has the benefit of the mysterious and magical white privilege, I assume his life is all sugar plums, gumdrops and free of adversity of any kind.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

The problem is that he will.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. EDT

EDT 1,000+ Posts

When does the UT curling season start. I have not heard a peep from them. I think that I will attend all events this year. :hookem:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. earl77

earl77 500+ Posts

'Cause this ain't about education! It ain't much about winning, and it sure as hell ain't much about basketball! It's about MONEY! JUST GODDAMNED MONEY! That's what it's about, Ed. And I bought into it. I bought into it big time. I'm a big part of the problem.
    PETE BELL (Nick Nolte) movie Blue Chips

5. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

This crap happening at one of the most LIBERAL UNIVERSITIES !!!!!! You don't see this at Alabama, etc...... This is ALL Herman's fault due to the way he handled all this mess.

• poop poop x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  6. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

I have a fantasy where CDC rents a 20 seat passenger bus, picks up the players telling them they are going somewhere to protest inequality, drops them off in middle of nowhere and then drives off.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Hot Hot x 2
  7. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

This is the second "manifesto" that has been delivered by a player. If CDC knows or finds out who wrote and paid for these I hope he tells the world (in as simple terms as possible so there can be no doubt what is going on). If he embarrasses the players or Herman to bad.

• Like Like x 2
  8. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Does Overshown believe CDC is not acting in good faith? Otherwise there is no reason to stop participating. Who is advising these players on their negotiating strategy? Can you imagine if @stevie_p was involved in this?

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  9. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

If he had "white privilege" he'd be at SHSU studying something other than football because he'd be too slow to play football and he'd be passed over for entrance into UT by someone in the Top 6 at an underperforming inner city high school.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. CedarParkFan

CedarParkFan 1,000+ Posts

True. i'm on board with this at this point. Cut the ties with the social justice warriors.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

I had the thrill of my life when we won in 2006. Cut the cancer out even if it means we become Vanderbilt.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. CedarParkFan

CedarParkFan 1,000+ Posts

Absolutely! We can build it back up in time. For now, the ignorance and immaturity that is on full display is making it difficult for me to pull for them. CDC should make an example of these turds and show the sports world that at least someone in a position of power has a spine. Seriously? What has happened to responsible leadership?

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

If these players really believed their own bull, theyd all xfer to Grambling and kick all our asses on the field. That I could respect. As it is, I just want them shut their crybaby mouths.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

I cannot believe I can go to my news sites and see this crap about my alma mater featured. Fire Herman and defund the program for the year. Start over. Or don’t. I don’t care anymore.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. longhornlegend

longhornlegend 1,000+ Posts

But did he refuse his scholarship?? No, just another typical diva. Protest on your time. While you take the pay and yes there is currently pay for scholarship athletes in a monthly stipend then do your job. NEXT MAN UP.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

This exactly. All CDC needs to do is look at the Occupy City Hall nonsense in NYC. The group claimed they would disperse as soon as the city budget defunded $1B from police. That was done and then the goalposts moved (as any RATIONAL person expected would take place).

The player here overlooks that Maya Moore had already established a CAREER and clearly had funds to fall back upon for the year that she was out of the league. She ALSO would have had options in Europe for secondary income. A college player is not even remotely situated...

If anything, schools need to be putting someone in to get these KIDS some semblance of reality. They sure as hell are NOT getting it from TH.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. IvanDiabloHorn

IvanDiabloHorn 1,000+ Posts

Makes one wonder about the involvement and guidance of these player’s parents.

• Hot Hot x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Giovanni Jones

Giovanni Jones 2,500+ Posts

Could be TH is telling them but it's not getting into their heads. (I've seen that sort of thing a few times in my life.)

Experience is the best teacher. It's also the toughest. The player is gonna get schooled. (But it will be up to him to learn the lesson. Some people never learn.)

• poop poop x 1
  19. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

Tom Herman started this crap.......If not started it he did nothing to prevent this bull****. You don't see this at Bama, Clemson, tOSU, etc .....

• Agree Agree x 4
  20. erbutch

erbutch 500+ Posts

Herman needs to go and all the players that do not want to play. If not I can save lots of money on tickets and the Longhorn Foundation.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  21. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

His scholarship needs to be docked a prorated charge for each day he doesn't participate.
    He brought up a WNBA player taking a year off.
    Well, when pros don't show up they don't get paid.
    I'm all for protest.
    But there should be consequences when you don't participate in something you are being compensated for.
    I would tell them that the school is behind them 100% and we will work towards an arrangement everyone can live with.
    But if you don't participate in what your scholarship is paying for then no weight room, free meals, free tutors and you will repay your scholarship for each day you don't participate.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  22. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

There's no sacrifice getting paid and not performing. He can protest and do a lot of good for the cause on his off hours.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Doesn’t Herman have a policy don’t practice don’t play? Pretty sure I’ve heard that, sooooo.

24. EDT

EDT 1,000+ Posts

In west Texas the ranchers put a coyote up on a fence post to let the other coyotes know not screw with them. I think it's time to put one of these entitled players gets shown the door. Maybe start with TH, that would be a big coyote.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

Are there scholarship terms that require athletes to play if they are able? Seems like at least insubordination if not breach of contract assuming there are terms like that

• Agree Agree x 3
  26. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Bye! Show him the door....

• Agree Agree x 6
  27. erbutch

erbutch 500+ Posts

Why do we just have this problem here? I have not heard of TCU or Tech with a problem. Maybe we should have selected Patterson years ago instead of Strong. He owns us anyway. It amazes me why so many people never care for his coaching. Every year he takes less talent than we do and beats us. Sometimes we are our own worst enemy. Herman can not or will not get these players under control. The only way this will stop is if doners stop giving money and attendance to games dry up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

These athletes do not understand the basic economics of sports. They are called “spectator” sports for a reason. No spectators means fewer/no revenues equals lower/no salaries/scholarships. I say if anyone does not want to play, pull their scholarship.

• Agree Agree x 4
  29. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

Seems like Herman needs to call a press conference about all this. He’s been quite.

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

ER,

Patterson was not interested and would not take the job in Austin, nor the one in Brazos County.

AC,

Herman has done enough irreparable damage. Last thing we need is that loose cannon in front of the media.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hot Hot x 1