Pakistan

Discussion in 'On The Road Again' started by Woland, Apr 3, 2007.

1. Woland

Woland 500+ Posts

Would you travel there if you received an invitation? This is to Islamabad.

2. next2naus

next2naus 500+ Posts

yeah but I'm a gambler

3. West Coast Horn

West Coast Horn 25+ Posts

I recommend making a day trip to Waziristan. On the road through the mountains ride in the back of a truck waving your American flag, with Lee Greenwood's "Proud to Be an American" blasting from your stereo.

[​IMG]

4. ryskey

ryskey 100+ Posts

The Link

Scroll down to Pakistan. More than you'd ever want to know. The travel warning is interesting.

The US State Dept tends to be a little paranoid though, like a worrisome grandmother. I've found the British version of the State Department to be a little less hysterical, and still very applicable to Americans. Sorry, no link (I'm lazy), but you can find it after a little searching.

5. HornInDub

HornInDub 100+ Posts

Islamabad is much safer than Karachi. Plus if you go to Islamabad, you can catch a flight to Gilgit or Skardu pretty easily. Highly recommend getting your local friend to book tickets for both of you into Gilgit or Skardu and negotiate for a jeep tour of the Deosai Plains once you are there.

Plus if you're with a local, he and his family will always look out for you and make sure you're never in harm's way. If you were wanting to go by yourself without a local as a host / guide, personally I wouldn't recommend going.

6. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

I went through Yugoslavia when the war was just starting. Today, probably because I have a family, I wouldn't make the same choice. Pakistan, I would think, is safer than Yugoslavia was at the beginning of the war but recognize that the danger is still there. Interestingly, I have been invited to Jordan. I have few reservations about going but there is very little that I want to see. There are just other places that I would prefer.

7. random horn

random horn 250+ Posts

I'd go to Pakistan.

I'd also go to Jordan just to see Petra.

8. Woland

Woland 500+ Posts

9. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

10. Woland

Woland 500+ Posts

I was thinking of HornInDub's suggestion. My hosts would be in Islamabad. If I can arrange travel to the Hindu Kush, then I will probably go. If not, then I'm not so sure.