Party plan

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by Idahorn2, Aug 25, 2007.

1. Idahorn2

Idahorn2 250+ Posts

In a few weeks we are doing the cookin' for a friend's party (he is from Texas), about 20 people, no vegetarians.

Bob Armstrong Dip (from Matt's cookbook)
    Poorman's Jambalaya (Prudhomme recipe)

BBQ Brisket
    Cowboy BBQ Country Pork Ribs (really Boston butt)
    White Bread

Cole Slaw
    Potatoe Salad

Dutch Oven Peach Cobbler, Vanilla Ice Cream

Iced tea
    Beer
    Sangria, etc.

We are having both brisket and pork because our Big Green Egg will not handle a brisket larger than 10 lb, and my fire pan grill (a river necessity) will not handle pork ribs for a group of 20. So... as Joplin said, a combination of the two. Both brisket and pork will be rubbed before cooking and mopped during their time on the smoke/fire. My sauce will be available for both. One of the many advantages of the Big Egg is that opening it up for a brief mopping does not cause any significant heat loss.

The guests are from here in Boise, so some will be encountering a level of seasoning to which they are not accustomed. Not heat really, but some definite whang.

Does this sound complete, balanced, whatever?

2. GakFoo

GakFoo 500+ Posts

what is your address? i've been meaning to head out to idaho for a while.

seriously though, that sounds great. all you need are pickles & onions & pickled japs and a pot of beans. pintos are a must with bbq.

i have a recipe for sweet & smokey jalapeno pintos that is incredible, if you want it.

3. Idahorn2

Idahorn2 250+ Posts

I was thinkin' of beans and I agree they go naturally with 'Q, but we already have two starches (three if you count the doughball white bread). But I would love the sweet, smokey, jalapeno bean recipe. I could drop the jambalaya.

4. GakFoo

GakFoo 500+ Posts

i'll preface this recipe by saying that my wife is a very picky eater and will not touch a bean of any kind -- green bean, pinto bean, kidney bean, black bean, navy bean, none of it. except for this recipe, which she asks for every time i 'que. so:

ingredients:
    1 lb bag dried pintos
    2 smoked ham hocks
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    2 1/4 cups chopped onions
    2 jalapenos minced
    2 garlic cloves minced
    1 cup ketchup
    1/3 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
    2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
    1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

prep:
    bring beans and hocks to boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until beans are just tender.

in a separate skillet, heat oil. add onions and sautee until golden, about 10 minutes. add jalapeno and garlic; sautee 1 minute. stir in ketchup, brown sugar, mustard, and worcestershire sauce. cook down and then add to main pot with beans hocks and juice. cook until done.

5. Idahorn2

Idahorn2 250+ Posts

That sounds real good.