Pass the freaking ball DJ!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by 4realhorn, Jan 21, 2008.

1. 4realhorn

4realhorn 500+ Posts

I'm sick of him driving down into the den of the beast with people wide open. PASS THE ******* BALL!!!

2. DAGMAR

DAGMAR 250+ Posts

Our offense is based off standing around and watching DJ (Durant last year)

3. MirrOlure

MirrOlure 500+ Posts

4. utmck

utmck 500+ Posts

What is up with Johnson everyone here was talking about how he killing everyone at practices and now that he is playing I'm not seeing it.

5. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

What is up with all of the standing around on offense?

6. 4realhorn

4realhorn 500+ Posts

Again I plead with D.J. pass the ******* BALL!!! It's not illegal to pass the ball.

7. TexHorn06

TexHorn06 25+ Posts

***** all you want, he was clutch from the line at the end of the game.

8. WLHornFan

WLHornFan < 25 Posts

Barnes has never been able to teach an effective offensive scheme.

9. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

Sutton has a perspiration problem.

10. Knoxville-Horn

Knoxville-Horn 1,000+ Posts

Sweet. I'll be able to sleep tonight. I always get insomnia if my team loses -- especially close games.
    That last inbound's pass was scary.

11. orangeblack&gold

orangeblack&gold 500+ Posts

Scary is right. Man, that was a good V!

Congrats, guys!

12. Mr. Longhorn

Mr. Longhorn 250+ Posts

We won because of DJ driving to the basket for clutch shots. Chill the f**k out.

13. Mikeinthebox

Mikeinthebox 100+ Posts

Mr. Longhorn, couldn't have said it better myself. DJ is free to wander the paint as often he feels like it

14. LonghorninAustin

LonghorninAustin 1,000+ Posts

D J is the man! He carried the team tonight.
    Nice victory. Fans of all of our opponents love to beat Texas. We ARE a big deal. [​IMG]

15. Truck's Son

Truck's Son 500+ Posts

16. Truck's Son

Truck's Son 500+ Posts

17. 4realhorn

4realhorn 500+ Posts

18. LazyEngineer

LazyEngineer 500+ Posts

For the people wanting DJ to pass the ball: Exactly who do you want him to pass to?

Abrams? I think he was 0-7 from 3.
    Mason? Good game, but not an offensive threat these days.
    Atchley? Not in the last 2 minutes.
    James? He was the one setting picks. If he was open, DJ would have found him the ball.

I found myself yelling the same thing at the TV until I stopped to think about the options.

19. LagoHorn

LagoHorn 250+ Posts

Who exactly was he going to pass the ball to?

20. 4realhorn

4realhorn 500+ Posts

21. whereiend

whereiend 100+ Posts

DJ made alot of great passes in the first half, although we didn't always finish.

When the going gets tough however, thats when DJ looks to take over.

Is that really a bad thing? My only real beef with Augustin is when he has those bad games where he can't finish anything. but today he was just fine for me, jeesh.

22. LazyEngineer

LazyEngineer 500+ Posts

I guess I have different expectations from DJ during the first 38 minutes of the game and the last 2 minutes. I thought we did a decent job of moving the ball around most of the game.

23. Crusher X

Crusher X 250+ Posts

I'm all for the guys sharing the ball, but DJ needs the ball in his hands. As Fran Frashilla (sp?) said, that is our offense. DJ making plays. He makes plays by getting to the hole, or finding guys open. Our offense is not a motion offense like Coach Knight uses. It's a free flowing pick and roll offense that requires our best ball handlers to make things happen. In close games like tonight, he needs to have the ball in his hands to run the offense and get the picks and shots. It doesn't work every time, but more often than not (like toniight it does.

AJ was being closely guarded. It was obvious they keyed on AJ and made it tough on him. But, most teams don't have another guard to match up against DJ when they key on AJ. So, DJ has the ball more and will take more shots.

I'm fine with the way the offense was run tonight. I would like to see Gary get more in the flow and be more of a contributor. But, we all have to be patient with his play until he gets more game experience.

But as for DJ, I'm fine with the ball in his hands. The dude is a straight up baller.

24. bighornfan32

bighornfan32 100+ Posts

25. Mr. Orange

Mr. Orange 100+ Posts

I only watched the last 10 minutes of the game, so I can only speak for what I saw, but our offense has regressed to something completely different than what was so successful against Tenn and UCLA. Nobody else besides DJ scored in the last 7 minutes of the game. 1 on 5 basketball might work against a piss poor OSU team but wont get us out of the second weekend of the tourny thats for sure.

26. Crusher X

Crusher X 250+ Posts

27. Horn69

Horn69 2,500+ Posts

In my book if you want to be critcal of the offense okay. But not DJ. If it weren't for him we would not have won the game. And actually I thought the team was doing a good job of a) looking for DJ to penetrate, and b) if that weren't there they swung the ball around the perimeter looking for open man. Outside shooters didn't hit like they should.

Once again: We are very fortunate to have D.J.

Hook'em!!! [​IMG]

28. ballrific

ballrific 500+ Posts

29. DKR777

DKR777 250+ Posts

The title of this thread made me laugh.

Especially since my friend and I just spent most of that game yelling, "Stop passing the ball, D.J., and just go!"

Seriously, our best bet is that dude going to the basket. Period.

30. lnghrn005

lnghrn005 250+ Posts

This is the same type of offense used when TJ was here. Most of the game there was great ball movement, guys cutting, etc. But at the end of the game TJ usually looked to take over he was great at getting to the basket, he didn't always finish but he drew a lot of fouls.

I have no problem with DJ taking over down the stretch. The ball movement has been lacking the past few games but it hasn't been DJ thats done it. Damion and AJ have been prone to getting the ball and putting up a bad shot.