passing a lie detector test

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by GHOST HORN, Jul 2, 2004.

1. GHOST HORN

GHOST HORN 100+ Posts

my friends husband has already failed 2 tests. the guy gets super nervous.

any suggestions. this is for police enforcement.

2. AustinTejasFan

AustinTejasFan 1,000+ Posts

"Just remember my friend, if you believe it, it's not a lie"

Just goes to show how fallable those machines are. No one should ever submit to a lie detector test if their life or liberty are on the line. It's all mumbo jumbo and subject to the tester's "interpretation".

3. blacklab

blacklab 250+ Posts

I've heard to put a thumb tack in your shoe and step on it each time a question is asked. That way you get the same response every time.

4. 96 Buff

96 Buff 100+ Posts

Tell the truth.

5. Kuru

Kuru 25+ Posts

I think its that you step on the tack when you answer truthfully to the questions at the start that they use to get a baseline for the important questions later.

6. dustin_c1

dustin_c1 250+ Posts

I'm not sure that nerves have much do with it. But then again, neither does telling a lie or telling the truth.

I can say that from experience, having failed a polygraph test several times. A polygraph test isn't a lie detector, it is an interrogation tool. It measures physiological responses, but those responses are only loosely associated with honesty. The results are open to interpretation. A polygraph test result is only as good as the interrogator. Polygraph testing is ******** and the polygraph operators know it. It isn't about passing the test. It isn't about telling the truth. It is about convincing the polygraph operator through the machine.

The two questions that always hung me up were over my drug history (which I was honest about) and whether or not I was a terrorist or acting as an agent of a foreign nation.

Looking back, it wasn't worth the ******* stress. Now, to me, no job is worth taking a polygraph for. I will never take one again.

It is likely that the interrogator doesn't believe your friend is lying. It could be that the interrogator just can't put a stamp of approval on your friend until his physiological responses are within ranges that they can accept. In that case, he can keep plugging away. If he can request a new interrogator, that may help.

7. washparkhorn

washparkhorn 2,500+ Posts

In reply to:

8. Squirrel

Squirrel 100+ Posts

Tell your friend in your best Jim Carry voice, "STOP ******* LYING, *******!"

9. HenryGandorf

HenryGandorf 250+ Posts

"Why are you nervous, George?"

"I get nervous when I talk to policemen."

"Of course you do, George. You know who doesn't? Thieves."

10. BA93

BA93 1,000+ Posts

I would never trust law enforcement to administer a fair test. They're looking for the guilty person, so their results would be skewed that direction.

11. LosIllini

LosIllini 250+ Posts

I don't know. Maybe I could beat the machine (the lie detector).

Uh! Who do you think you are? Costanza?

12. horngirl

horngirl < 25 Posts

Valium is the easiest way.[​IMG]

13. I heard if you hold your breath, you can pass.

Investigator: Butthead, have you ever stolen any money from Burger World?
    Butthead: No.
    (Light goes green) DING! DING! DING!
    Butthead takes in the deepest breath he can.
    [​IMG]

14. horn1

horn1 25+ Posts

I've done a little research on this in the past as there as several articles on the internet that tell how to beat a lie detector test.

The key is "fooling" the operator of the test when he is asking the "baseline" questions....i.e. questions that are easy to respond to like....Are you 30 years old? Do you live on Oak Street, etc. etc.

Supposedly while he is asking these these questions you can do little simple things like 1) Curling your toes or 2) constrict your anal sphincter (not kidding)

Both will result in throwing off your blood pressure just slightly enough to give you a false reading on your baseline comparison score.

Personally, I would never volunteer to take a polygraph. After all, if they were 100% correct, then courts would allow them as evidence.

15. Pimpology

Pimpology 100+ Posts

It's all about heart rate and blood pressure. Anything that can mess up their "standard questions" at the beginning will give them inconclusive data, so they can't assume you are lying.

I was told to get blasted on caffiene before the test, to the point where you almost shaking. Everytime you answer a question, the machine will read spikes. I guess if they ask you to lie about something as a gauge, this wouldn't work as well as the "stepping on a tack"/anal sphincter methods.

16. cbs

cbs 500+ Posts

Some courts have abolished the complete bar against admission of polygraph exams and now use the standard expert witness test. The key is the person administering the test.

17. DLev

DLev 250+ Posts

It may be somewhat about blood pressure, but I know some lie detectors tests that place two electrodes a couple of cm apart. Then you ask a question and the resistance between the two points will change ever so slightly due to sweat.