PAssing Game Plan??

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by LikeMike, Nov 25, 2017.

1. LikeMike

LikeMike 500+ Posts

I know our OL has had a very difficult year, but our passing game appears to be very high school compared to almost every team we played this year. They throw a mid-level pass to a reciever running toward the goal line (15 to 20) yards down field every game. Their receivers get open at the mid-level. We either throw sideways or low probability long balls (Sam is especially not up to the long ball at this point). And our guys seldom seem to get open or our QB does not see them. Over the last 5 years 80% of the QBs we played have looked better than our guy! Scheme, recuiting or my imagination?

Any thoughts?

2. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

I don’t think you have to do anything exotic for example the passing game looked a lot better last year, even if it was pretty basic.
    Tim Beck did not call for simple things thT could help. We seem to have no quick / short passing game unless you want to consider the wr screens. And even when we have something that should work the players don’t execute, or more maddeningly if it works we stop doing it and never hear from the player again.

3. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

I default to coaching. I refuse to believe all the highly rated players we get all happen to be a bust. Look at how bad the defense was last year and the improvement this year.

• Like Like x 3
  4. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

No change - could not make a stop when they absolutely had to.

5. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Our 2nd and 3rd drives both stalled due to passing plays with nobody open.

6. LikeMike

LikeMike 500+ Posts

Could it be that since mid-season teams drop 8 because they know we cannot gain 2 yards on a running play or our coaches cannot figure out how to get someone open in that situation or our QBs are too slow at recognition or our WRs are not so good?

A,B,C,D or all of the above?

7. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Viper,

How can you say that? Look at the season as a whole.

USC - end of first half and the OT

OU - end of game

oSu - the entire game

Tech - against the worst QB in conference

OH, there were no stops on those occasions

NEVER MIND :beertoast:

• Like Like x 1
  8. BigBull

BigBull 25+ Posts

I especially liked the series where Sam ran to his right and through the ball out of bounds all three plays to the exact same place.

If crazy is doing the same thing over and over expecting a different out come... then we own Crazy!

• Like Like x 3
  9. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Those three plays all ended up with our receivers all running to the right side as well and/or just standing there after their route was over, to end up with only 1/3rd of the field for the defense to guard. The few times we had a receiver cut back to the opposition side over the middle when Sam scrambled, the guy was wide open.

10. militaryhorn

militaryhorn Prediction Contest Manager

Also, why is it that our only receiver who used to play QB never gets to pass where our WRs pass the ball. Burt totally had Sam open early in the end zone but tried to be a hero and run it in and gave the D a chance to recover before he realized he wasn't going to make it. It was a great call by the staff but poorly executed.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Our staff can't seem to figure out who is good at what.

• Like Like x 2