Pasta sauce

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by THEU, Feb 17, 2011.

1. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

I have been meaning to post this for a while. Sometimes we know that experiments go right in the kitchen and here is one that did for me.

I am not a measuring guy, so sorry about not having specifics, but here is a great pasta sauce I put together.

started by caramelising onions, then adding carrots and celery. Seasoned with some Italian seasoning, Worchestershire sauce, and soy. It was a bit of a dark veggie mess, but then I added some white wine to the party. After that, some stew meat, tomato sauce, stewed tomatoes, beef broth. I did this in a wok, and it was pretty full. I let that reduce down for over an hour. It made for a very sweet sauce. I am sure that is due to the carrot and white wine. I served it over angel hair, and added some freshly grated parm on top. Man it was good, and SIMPLE.

2. Perham1

Perham1 2,500+ Posts

Sounds great. Thanks for the recipe.

3. scottsins

scottsins 1,000+ Posts

4. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

Mine's a little more basic than that - saute garlic and onions, then add italian sausage, fresh mushrooms and peppers. Once that's browned, pour in diced tomatoes and tomato sauce (if you want it a little more saucy, otherwise, just use the tomatoes). I'll usually use salt, basil and maybe some fennel and oregano. I actually like marjoram instead of oregano, but either works. Cook it down and toss in the penne.

5. saute garlic, onion and a couple mashed anchovy fillets if olive oil.
    blend whole tomatoes with carrots and celery, add to onion/garlic/anchovy
    add diced tomatoes
    tomato paste
    red wine
    little butter
    spices (whatever i have, but usually some combo of oregano, basil, parsley, marjoram, thyme, salt, peeper)
    toward the end add capers and kalamatta olives

100% of the time, it works every time.

6. i'll make the same sauce with sausage. i'll start the sausage in a separate frying pan (links - a few hot a few sweet) and then add them along with the tomato sauce...

7. smwhorn

smwhorn Guest

THEU:

I'm sure you're a very nice, smart, honest, hard-working person. I'm also sure that this pasta sauce tasted great to you. BUT, if you don't put garlic in your pasta sauce, YOU DESERVE TO GO STRAIGHT TO HELL. [​IMG]

8. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

Not including garlic in a pasta sauce recipe would be like ordering a cheeseburger without mustard, and I'm sure THEU would never do that.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. chango

chango 2,500+ Posts

yes THEU, step up to garlic

10. ProdigalHorn

He's a vampire, cut him some slack.

11. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Prodigal,
    Try doing your sauce with a quarter bottle of a good Zin or Chianti added with the tomatoes next time. Cook it down a little longer so it isn't too runny...Then drink the rest with your meal.

12. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

Hey guys,
    Been on vacation for a week... I forgot to mention I did add garlic..... so sorry...but glad everyone caught that!

13. ProdigalHorn

That sounds interesting - I sometimes will make it with some cooking wine to shake it up, and it does give it a nice twist. I don't use that much though, might up the dosage next time [​IMG]

14. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

No, no , no. Not cooking wine. Use some of the wine you were going to drink with it. I almost always add wine to my marinara, and I usually drink a nice Zin with it, so that's what gets splashed in there. If I'm not drinking Zin, it's likely Chianti or Sangiovese from elsewhere in Italy.