Patterson raises prices for 2015

Discussion in 'In The Stands' started by Badass, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

2. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Greedy SOB's

3. BananaChipBettor

BananaChipBettor 100+ Posts

I love the games, but the cost is a lot more than just tickets, at least for me. You have the donation, ticket prices, I usually take a taxi that cost $100+ round trip, $8 drinks, food, etc. That doesn't even include lodging for out of town games. At the end of the year, it adds up. If we keep losing, I am sure a lot of people won't find value with the current price point and results.

I would think the average LHF donor with two season tickets, is probably spending $500 per game.

4. mexahorn

mexahorn 25+ Posts

Son-of-a... they raised ticket prices by 25%! Basically they eliminated the 20% discount they used to give LHF members on their season ticket renewals. so basically 4 tier 1 season tickets are $2100 today whereas last year they were $1,680. That's a big price hike. Mthr Fkrs...

5. TXRiverHorn

TXRiverHorn < 25 Posts

I am customer 4ab03 and a big fan of ut
    Due to a fabulous nutrition center there is to be an additional fee
    And apparently it will be paid for for entirely by me
    My Foundation assigned PA explained it would be so neat
    But of course, none of this great food can be taken to my seat
    I asked and tried not to be mean, why do these far off changes affect section 13?
    Again I explained, I just want to see the game but was told things now are not the same
    Last year we endured rocket man and other folly and at times the noise made my head split
    Now their email dares to ask "for texas will you commit?"

I am customer 4ab03 and a big fan of the horns, I have been since before I was born
    But now to watch my team I have to compare with 18,000 it would seem
    The eyes of Texas are upon us all the live long day
    This new direction is simply not the Longhorn way

hook'em

• Like Like x 2
  6. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Just saw my prices for NEZ this year, crap, this sucks. Guess this is my last year, which they will love cause also saw where my donation is now discounted on these seats so a newbie will pay mucho more.

7. snek

snek 500+ Posts

In this age of gigantic televisions it is possible for somebody to watch on a fabulous tv with booming sound in the comfort of their living room. They can grill in their backyard, have friends over and drink as much as they want to. They won't get a sunburn, be cold or deal with long tv timeouts or an overly loud Adzillatron spewing obnoxiously loud commercials. The game day experience, what little there is at DKR compared to many other programs, has slowly diminished.

I stopped going a few years ago and I am not a big money donor. The money I have saved is significant enough to afford vacations and some remodeling on the house. The game day experience, with our fickle and mostly late arriving silent fans, stopped being fun like it was previous. This is why, even if I win the lottery, they won't get my money. I would donate to the school of my choice within the University but not there, not any more. It's just not fun any more. It's too easy to ride a bike to see the team and band come in and then ride over to see the band leave. I can tailgate with friends and not have to deal with the hassle of the game itself inside the new and "improved" game day experience.

Time will tell if others help them reach their point of diminishing return.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

UT is very fortunate being the only game in town with Austin being the largest city without a pro franchise. Corporations with deep pockets need entertainment and this fills that need. Prices won't be going down anytime soon. It amazes me what I paid for tickets in 1991 vs the cost now yet the product is the same.

9. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

So the product waters down from 8 wins to 6 wins and prices are raised by 1/4. Wow. How about wait until the program begins to SHOW on-field results and proven success in the win column? Especially before bleeding out the loyal fan base who's been sitting through the same garbage product for half a decade now.

I wanted to like Patterson, I really did. But this guys is nothing more than the slimy CEO type. Then again that makes sense with his career of predominantly NBA and NFL management positions. He may have ties to Texas, but you can truly tell he was not born and raised here in the way he presents himself. Doesn't even resemble a Southern person in demeanor. That was a mistake in hiring an AD without Texan or at least Southern demeanor in my option.

All of his decisions are based on squeezing out every last dollar for a football product that continues to taste stale and has yet to offer no TRUE improvement in the form of on-field results. So what he's doing is substantially raising prices simply "because he can". Of course I think we will improve next season, but blind faith does not have a price tag that can be increased by some Disney consultant hiring non-Texan jabroni. Bad hire, Horns, bad hire. :brickwall:

• Like Like x 2
  10. IvanDiabloHorn

IvanDiabloHorn 1,000+ Posts

The season tickets prices were raised higher than 25%. Last year parking passes were included in the price, this year they are charging for parking passes as an additional cost. The lowest cost parking pass is purple checkered at $100.00. If you are buying two season tickets, the lowest cost parking pass increases the season ticket cost by $50.00. I have four season tickets, so my cost per ticket increases by $25.00. My overall per season ticket increase for four tickets is 30.95%. The percent increase will be higher for people buying two season tickets at 36.9% increase. The percent increase is for tier 2 and the cheapest parking pass.

11. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

All I've got to say is that we'd better by God win a lot of games this year. That's the only way the AD can justify this ridiculous price increase.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

A lot of truth by a lot of posters in this thread. You wait and raise prices after a winning season. You do not raise prices after a 7 loss season whether it was 2010 or 2014 or the 90s. Whether or not you think we will win in the upcoming season, as the AD you do not gamble. You base the ticket prices on the year before. If attendance is down again this season, maybe Patterson will learn from this.... or maybe not. We'll see.

13. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Htown,

Hard for the world's smartest human being to learn anything.

• Like Like x 1
  14. PecosBill

PecosBill 1,000+ Posts

Patterson and Company are getting ahead of the curve by charging for parking this year when we lose 575 spaces to the Dell Medical Center construction. Lot 80 is gone this year.
    In the coming years all of the spots from the Drum/hospital to Mike Myers soccer stadium will be gone also.
    In the past you could get a pink lot 70,79,80 spot FREE (with a LHF $2000 donation) but in the last two years it rose to a $3500+ donation.

15. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

Win 6 games, lose 7...jack up prices, eliminate resell of purchased tix from loyal donors/seat renewals (regardless of potential circumstances for resell), and charge for parking. Something is seriously wrong with this picture, and the blatant 'fork you, loyal customers/fans' methods of this AD.

Charge for parking? Ok, sucks, but ok.

Raise ticket prices? Really, it's an unjustified dick move after a losing season, but ok the future is brighter.

Eliminate any resell for renewing, loyal fans? Middle finger!

Can't make it because of a wedding? Tough, you're eating over $100 per ticket. Wife giving birth? Sorry, that'll be $100+ per seat down the drain. This greedy dick can take a short walk off a long pier.

16. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Brad,

He's just getting started. Without a president that gives a ****, we're stuck with him for a few years. By that time, the basketball team will be playing home team games in Houston, San Antonio, & Dallas. Maybe the OOC games can be scheduled at St Ed's. There will then be a surcharge for season tickets to pay for the giant tarps covering all the empty seats.

Thank you, Bill Powers. for lining the pockets of your fellow Cali-prunians at KornFerry, not once but twice. How could I ever have been stupid enough to consider you a friend and support you for president nose to nose with Governor Goodhair, aka, Aggie Milkman.

17. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

Oh God... this could be the fate of the team. We are playing in China next year and he wants to play a home football game in Mexico (pay more, get one less home game!)

So you are saying we do not have to build a new stadium south of the river?

18. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I'm saying that I don't believe Patterson is capable of negotiating a deal with the City of Austin that makes financial sense for a new performing arts center/basketball arena. Price is likely $350+ million/ Of I had to bet today, I'd bet that The University has to come up with $250-300 of that, and then the city will get free use of the facility or lease it for $1 per year.

Would it not have been cheaper to build the new medical facility at another location?

19. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

A great point I have not seen made before.

20. PecosBill

PecosBill 1,000+ Posts

With the City owning all the Breckinridge Hospital tract and Seton on the hook for some $250 million in lease payments plus UT owning all the adjacent land from 15th street north to DKR the cost of acquiring that big of a intact tract of land would be very expensive when it already controlled.
    A city teaching hospital and UT Medical teaching school in the same location is a no brainer for central Texas and the UT system.
    The economic benefit of this two combined entities is much more than UT Athletics, IMO.

21. PecosBill

PecosBill 1,000+ Posts

My point being that if UT Athletics has to give up ground parking in order to build an economic engine of a regional hospital, UT system medical school and all the related offices, apartments, retail, infrastructure and employment then we will have lots of parking garages, buses and shuttles in our future on game day.
    Look at what DCMC has anchored the old Mueller tract as a comparison.
    Leave the Drum, build on Myers or the practice field or relocate east nearby.

22. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Bill.

Not being argumentative, but rather curious. It seems to me that putting the regions top Level 1 trauma center in a location with arguably the worst traffic congestion is less than responsible. I realize that Breck has been rebuilt, but would it have served the citizens of Central Texas better to go to Mueller or somewhere less congested to build the medical school. Worst case scenario, go across I-35 and use imminent domain to grab a tract of land like Frank Erwin did for DischFalk.

The University System is already landlocked at Southwestern, UTMB, and UTHSC. Building another landlocked medical facility might warrant another closer look.

23. PecosBill

PecosBill 1,000+ Posts

Well they didn't ask my opinion but my guess is that the cost of relocation to buy more land and build all new buildings was more than using the land the various parties already controlled. As you suggest they could always go east of I35 for more space when needed.

Starflight is the answer to your emergency transportation question.

I seriously doubt that they gave much consideration to the parking needs of UT football fans for six home games a year.

24. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Thanks, Bill,

I am not concerned about parking for football games, since I never have parked South of 19th Street, but rather more about the fiscal responsibility of The University's management.

25. PecosBill

PecosBill 1,000+ Posts

I totally agree.

I just don't know from which perspective the fiscal responsibility decisions for the UT System are made.

Certainly not by Patterson.

26. BananaChipBettor

Ha. There are no benefits to this hospital. It's nothing but a drain and another increase on property taxes. It's a damn farce.

27. BananaChipBettor

At least with the LHF, no matter what, it's still voluntary. The hospital was a pet project that will cost most of us no matter what. Outside of costing us money for the hospital, it's going to cost us parking and other conveniences as well. I am sure we'll pay for the indigent care, too.