per Chip: Pres cans Patterson

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Badass, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 5
  2. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

In business / sales if you are not performing, you get put on a plan or process improvement program to perform or fix it the problem. Patter$on has basically been put on a plan by Fenves and so far it does not appear he has improved much, much less fixed it...

I think it is only a matter of time before he is canned. JMHO

This is the smoking gun:

Billionaire Houston trial lawyer Joe Jamail, 89, who has given tens of millions of dollars to the university and whose name is on the field at Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium as well as UT’s swim center, canceled his suite at Texas football games this year.

Jamail declined to be interviewed about the decision. But those close to Jamail, who still practices law, say he’s disenchanted with the direction of UT athletics.

• Like Like x 4
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  3. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

That article shows that Fenves needs to act fast on this, pay out what ever amount is necessary to get rid of Patterson, get the guys Patterson brought in out the door and hire a new AD. This joke of an Ad doesn't realize that college sports fans have a different mindset and loyalty than pro sports fans. But even College sports fans loyalties only go so far. Best to make the change now than to wait and watch things get worse. Keep those email and calls coming folks! His dismissal would be a great Christmas present for us all!

• Like Like x 5
  4. WorsterMan

Well said and I agree. Patter$on may know this but he is just arrogant enough to either not care or he tells himself I will change that mindset.

5. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I have read Jamail did not cancel the suite, he's just not using it.
    There is a difference.

6. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

What I am most encouraged about is that it appears that our President is listening; that our voice does matter; that change can be initiated by us alums ... for that, I am mildly surprised but thankful .. someone gets it (besides us!)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

8. WorsterMan

Not only do the alums & big donors TALK, but so does their MONEY.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  9. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

If this comes to pass:

Calling out around the world,
    Are you ready for a brand new beat?
    Summer's here and the time is right
    For dancing in the street.
    They're dancing in Chicago,
    Down in New Orleans,
    In New York City.

All we need is music, sweet music.
    There'll be music everywhere.
    There'll be swinging and swaying and records playing,
    Dancing in the street.
    Oh, it doesn't matter what you wear,
    Just as long as you are there.
    So come on, every guy, grab a girl.
    Everywhere around the world
    They'll be dancing.
    They're dancing in the street.

It's an invitation across the nation,
    A chance for folks to meet.
    There'll be laughing, singing, and music swinging,
    Dancing in the street.
    Philadelphia, P.A.
    Baltimore and D.C. now.
    Can't forget the Motor City.

All we need is music, sweet music.
    There'll be music everywhere.
    There'll be swinging and swaying and records playing,
    Dancing in the street.
    Oh, it doesn't matter what you wear,
    Just as long as you are there.
    So come on, every guy, grab a girl.
    Everywhere around the world
    They're dancing.

Way down in L.A. ev'ry day,
    (Dancing in the street.)
    Let's form a big, strong line, get in time,
    We're dancing in the street.
    (Dancing in the street.)
    Across the ocean blue, me and you,
    We're dancing in the street.

10. utempire

utempire 1,000+ Posts

As much as Patterson has flubbed up some which is surprising considering he went to UT. He did make 2 good hires in Strong and Smart. I think Strong is the right guy and if he gets a chance will turn this thing around. Unless of course an Urban Meyer caliber coach is willing to come here.

• Like Like x 1
  11. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

And what is getting rid of Patterson going to do? Who ever the New AD might be is going to have the same policies as Patterson, he'll just make sure to kiss your back side before he does it. Every athletic departments job is to try and make as much money as possible. So, you better believe, if it's Patterson or any AD, that will never change.

12. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Prediction - Mack Brown will become AD.

• Like Like x 3
  13. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Empire,

Patterson's contract negotiating skills have proven to be nonexistent. I have been a Longhorn for 50 years plus, season ticket holder for 45 years, know a lot of coaches and administrators around the country. The contracts he approved for Strong and his assistants borders on criminal at worst and idiocy at best. NO MAJOR PROGRAM has EVER given out contracts like that. ******** schools like Loserville, Cincinnati, Memphis, the convicts, Arizona State (where the administration is so stupid they didn't realize the list of schools that would hire Graham away is limited to D-ii or lll. Those contracts are not a "flub", but overwhelming stupidity. Do you trust that same person to negotiate the contract war between Nike & UnderArmour?

A quality replacement will have enough intelligence to know who matters and who doesn't, and make attempts not to alienate the important folks much less over 90% of his tickets holders and contributors. He will seek to preserve and enhance the traditions of The University rather than turning the school into a crack ***** to be bought by anybody and everybody for the right price.

14. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

improve alumni relations for one thing. I did not donate this year for the first time in 25 years. So it would get at least one alum back ... I doubt that I am alone.

• Like Like x 2
  15. rickysrun

rickysrun 2,500+ Posts

Why would he want the job?

• Like Like x 2
  16. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

He's not making money when donor's are refusing to give because of him.

If his policies continue under another AD, then donors will continue not to give. Fenves sees the money situation, that is why he would can Patterson. Why would he do it if the money is still coming in?

The bottom line is Patterson will go because he is not making money with these policies.

17. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Yes, but Fenves may want his own guy who is responsive to his wishes using the degree of business acumen and customer service needed. Not a yes man, but an AD who "gets it." Patterson has apparently shown so much poor judgment not to mention that he was Powers guy. I'm not sure Fenves believes they are ever going to be on the same page.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  18. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Maybe he isn't, but I can think of $1.6 million reasons I would quit an ESPN analyst job with much more travel and accept the top AD job in the country.

19. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

The issue with whoever is AD is developing the funding for a leading edge basketball arena.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

If anyone can raise money and manage relations well, Mack can, imo.

• Like Like x 2
  21. WorsterMan

He will also be in a very powerful position and the center of a lot of attention.

22. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Which would help Strong go about his business.

23. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

Yes, it is true, every AD will try to shake the alums until money falls out of their pockets. But some ADs have the talent of making you like it when they do this. Patterson lacks that talent.

• Like Like x 1
  24. shaggy refuge

shaggy refuge 500+ Posts

Say it aint so Joe! J/K. Who doesn't think the AD sucks!!!!!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  25. 1leggedduck

1leggedduck 1,000+ Posts

I've gotten used to not hearing Mack talk about explosive plays and all, but then I ask: who do the big cigars love? Who can shake your hand as you writing a check? Who knows all the other sweet talkin, snake oil sellin con men in college football? Maybe there is some benefit to Mack as an AD. Scary.

• Like Like x 1
  26. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

I'm in the "he sucks" crowd.

• Like Like x 1
  27. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

Can someone tell me some significant things he has screwed up to make everyone mad?
    I mean Deloss made mistakes.....

28. Mesohorny

Mesohorny 1,000+ Posts

You're kidding, right? Read some of the dozens of threads.
    :brickwall:

• Like Like x 3
  29. Olehornfan

Olehornfan 2,500+ Posts

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  30. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

My question is, why wouldn't he? He's a perfect fit from almost every perspective. He loved Texas and, the donors and fan base would most likely welcome him back, now, with open arms.

• Like Like x 1