per Chip: Pres cans Patterson

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Badass, Sep 14, 2015.

1. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

He should have took the smu job they would have gave him whatever he wanted

2. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

Chip Brown live on Sportscenter now. He says that Patterson ran the AD office like a pro franchise, that won't work at Texas.

He also said that Patterson didn't do people skills well and was really kind of cold in personality.

He also said that Mack Brown is being used in an advisory role in picking the new AD. He thinks Oliver Luck would be the best choice if available.

Sportcenter announcers said Patterson and his policies made things harder for UT coaches instead of easier. That Strong had to battle for things he wanted, like a scoreboard for the practice field.

3. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  4. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Saw that, too. Gives me a bit more pause on my criticism of Strong following the ND game. Sounds like a simple thing like getting a scoreboard for the practice field was a major battle with Patterson.

5. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

One thing we should NOT do is hire that Korn/Ferry consulting or search firm to find another AD.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

"He's just cold"

• Like Like x 1
  7. txlandagent

txlandagent 500+ Posts

I can't see Emmert going anywhere anytime soon. He's done a good job towing the NCAA through some serious crap since he took over as President. Luck has to be intrigued by the prospect of being the AD at Texas instead of Perennial "2nd" in command of a non-profit focused on regulatory affairzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  8. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Is that Chip on that broadcast; he looks like he snorted some coke to celebrate being correct on this one... his career is blowing up...

One thing; Patterson is quoted as saying he was hired to make tough decisions. I wonder if that's even true. It may be he would be the lightening rod but I can't believe he was told to make wholesale changes without giving the powers that be a heads-up.

• Like Like x 2
  9. txlandagent

txlandagent 500+ Posts

I'm pretty sure Korn/Ferry suggested we hire Luck. Patterson was all Powers. $200k down the crapper.

• Like Like x 1
  10. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

John Canzano's latest article on the subject. He warned people about Patterson, what he had done in Portland and Houston. He was dead on correct.

Honestly, what was Powers thinking hiring this guy, with a past like this. If your hated at a pro franchise, then let go for these type actions, do you really think doing these kind of things at a college level is the way to go?

Canzano: Don't worry Texas, you'll survive this Steve Patterson thing | OregonLive.com

• Like Like x 3
  11. LnghrnCowboysGal

LnghrnCowboysGal 25+ Posts

Who is this weasel with glasses on ESPN saying that we are arrogant and think the whole College Football world revolves around us and just being a general ARSE. Anyone else see it? On College Football Live? I've never heard such NAKED contempt except from Stephen A Smith!

I'm furious.

[​IMG]

Weasel...

12. SWCL-Horn

SWCL-Horn < 25 Posts

Thank God Patterson is out !!!

I am a season ticket holder of 45 years (4 seats every year) and I was on the verge of not renewing next year...had already told my wife we were done with it...I just changed my mind and will definitely renew next year.

I feel Mr. Patterson had no clue as to what The University of Texas is all about. He was all about the $ and nothing else...when they announced the paid parking (right after the season ticket sales had closed) that was the final straw...and then just in the last few days it comes to light that we were going to charge to seat other University's Bands...it just isn't UT period! Those other bands add to the game day experience for all, not just their own teams.

I really think we missed the boat when we didn't bring in Oliver Luck who would have been an outstanding AD and one who would keep UT at the pinnacle of college athletics.

Just my opinion...in any event count me in as glad to see this change.

• Like Like x 5
  13. Horn_83

Horn_83 100+ Posts

My fan experience has been improved with this news. :hookem2:

• Like Like x 2
  14. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

You mean Paul Finebaum, see various threads on this forum. He hates Texas and loves all things SEC.

Has his own radio show inhabited by knuckle dragger SEC callers.
    He attended Tennessee, but has a hard on for Bama and Saban.

I once showed a video of this.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  15. SWCL-Horn

SWCL-Horn < 25 Posts

I actually think Mack Brown could be a really good AD...he knows the college scene and certainly understands the stress of coaching and has proven he can manage the PR between various groups of diverse influences. I also think Mack's character would make him very supportive of coach Strong and his staff.

• Like Like x 1
  16. SWCL-Horn

SWCL-Horn < 25 Posts

Couldn't agree more...very perceptive.

• Like Like x 2
  17. LnghrnCowboysGal

LnghrnCowboysGal 25+ Posts

Lol! Okay, I stopped watching College Football Live a while back.... no wonder....

Oh, well, let us all rejoice.

18. SWCL-Horn

SWCL-Horn < 25 Posts

I'm with you on this Armanti

• Like Like x 1
  19. SWCL-Horn

SWCL-Horn < 25 Posts

I understand...I have been season ticket holder for 45 years and I was going to be next in line to join you...starting next year...and would have been this year had I known about having to pay for parking before I already purchased my tickets.

• Like Like x 1
  20. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Whoa!! That's a face only a mother could love, but only on Sunday afternoons.

• Like Like x 1
  21. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Klatt still hasn't recovered from the hit he took in the 2005 CCG.

• Like Like x 1
  22. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

My wife and I went down to the Rice game. We discussed maybe making this the last year for season tickets and I said that the main issue is that we will probably have a so-so season, so Patterson will jack up the prices again next year, continue to try to act like this is a pro sports team with folks wanting to see the games at any price, and a continued downward spiral of the fans' game-day experience. But now, I'm in for at least another couple of seasons.

Who ever comes in, I hope they get rid of the fine dinning aspects, can the can't leave to go to the Exes Center and come back, and that crappy tailgate tent idea.

23. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

Actually, I thought this was his first, last, and continual salute to Longhorn fans. It's why your strapping on a jet pack on the fifty yard line at DKR and being shot far away from all things UT.

Of course we will deduct the proper amount from your severance pay, for stepping on the playing field.

24. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

Sabrehorn for AD. Not joking. :)

• Like Like x 3
  25. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Yeah. Someone correct us if we're wrong, but I believe the search firm recommended Luck. For whatever reason, Powers hired Stevie right after his interview.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  26. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Who's this guy Jeff Hunt that was mentioned as recommending and pushing Patterson (also a supposed on-going consultant to Patterson)...

https://twitter.com/jeffroberthunt

27. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

Don't worry about Patterson-there's already a movie being made about him:

[​IMG]

28. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

If I'm not mistaken, mack is already employed by UT to glad hand and raise money.

Hopefully he's secured enough dinero to pay for $tevie's buyout as well as the cost of a new search firm to find a qualified AD.

29. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

I favor Luck because he could come in and examine the whole sordid situation and make the necessary changes. He has the experience in this field to do that.

He graduated Law School at UT, so it's not like he has no prior experience of Texas and Austin. His law background can't hurt with contracts and negotiations either.

I don't remember hearing any big discouraging things about him as a person or an AD. I think he would be the first choice, if available.

• Like Like x 1
  30. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

True, and since it wasn't Fenves that didn't hire him 22 months ago, he would hopefully not hold a grudge.

• Like Like x 2