Periodic Table of Irrational Nonsense

Discussion in 'Quackenbush's' started by SyracuseHorn, Jul 19, 2010.

1. SyracuseHorn

SyracuseHorn 500+ Posts

2. OldHippie

OldHippie 2,500+ Posts

Luckily I didn't see Carl Jung or Joseph Campbell in there. I need a little magic in my life to have fun.

3. 71grad

71grad 1,000+ Posts

Your right I am offended. No wait this is funny. This is really funny. Oops, I'm offended again.

4. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

A few thing honestly objectively don't belong there irrespective of anyone's personal beliefs.

Out-of-body and near-death experiences - those experiences do objectively happen to some people. It doesn't mean the experiences are what many people claim to be, but they are still experienced and appear to the experiencer to be out-of-body or near-death.

And Atlantis might have been a real city. Doesn't mean every legend about it has to be true, but the existence of Atlantis might still have basis in fact.

Some chiropractors have incorrect ideas about electrical fields and energy, but the simple practice of it isn't any less bollocks than massage or physical therapy.

5. Coelacanth

Coelacanth Guest

I'm offended that bigfoot is on there.

6. SyracuseHorn

SyracuseHorn 500+ Posts

I think Coelacanth gets the point. Almost everyone has some sort(s) of irrational belief(s).

Mystical elements of the Atlantis story are just fantasy. Even if Atlantis existed, the people there weren't likely to be aliens or superhuman.

Out of body/near death experiences are almost certainly hallucinations brought about by brain chemistry or oxygen deprivation. To ascribe anything more is purely speculative, and to take it seriously is unjustified.

Chiropractic care is a pseudoscience. The theory behind it predates our understanding of the human immune system and its role in combating germs. Most of its claims are bogus. Google Simon Singh and the British Chiropractic Association for a current perspective.

7. GT WT

GT WT 1,000+ Posts

I found nothing on that table to be offensive. There must be something terribly wrong with me!

[​IMG]

8. stina

stina 100+ Posts

Thou shalt not believe......... [​IMG]

9. longtex

longtex Guest

10. OldHippie

OldHippie 2,500+ Posts

All during human history there are many discoveries that would seem like magic or ridiculous fantasy (theory of atoms, television, radiation, electronics of all kinds, fire arms, etc.) There are many discoveries yet to be made which we might think of as irrational nonsense now. I certainly don't believe in most of the things listed but I do believe there is much "magic" yet to be discovered by science.

11. SyracuseHorn

SyracuseHorn 500+ Posts

There are an uncountable number of revolutionary things that are yet to be discovered; that's the most thrilling part of science.

The criticism is for those who claim knowledge that they can't support.

12. Hornin Hong Kong

Hornin Hong Kong 1,000+ Posts

Shiatsu? Really? I mean it's supposed to relive the pain of aching musscles and it does. Am I imagining it?

13. SyracuseHorn

SyracuseHorn 500+ Posts

Massage for aching muscles is all fine and good. To claim (as many shiatsu practitioners do) that it can treat or cure circulatory diseases, nervous system ailments, and so forth, is not supported by evidence.

14. RayDog

RayDog 500+ Posts

How about we do one for rational nonsense. I nominate the following:

Big Bang
    Gauge Bosons
    General Relativity
    Special Relativity
    Photon as a fundamental particle
    Neutron as a fundamental particle
    neutrinos
    Action at a distance
    Tidal Forces
    Quarks
    Speed of Light as a fundamental constant

15. notreally

notreally 1,000+ Posts

i thought it was awesome. it is funny that almost everyone subscribes to at least one of those things. i can think of a few people that believe in almost every one of them (or at least several from different sections).