Perla's

Discussion in 'Around Austin' started by BigLeonard, May 2, 2009.

1. BigLeonard

BigLeonard 100+ Posts

Has anyone eaten at Perla's yet? I'm intrigued.
    The Link

2. 1990txgirl

1990txgirl 250+ Posts

I have been 3 times in the last week. It's great to have a new seafood option downtown.

First time, last Saturday (5/2) for dinner: had reservations for 7:30 (yes, they take them) Considering they had been open only 2 weeks, the place was packed.

Cocktails: DarkNStormy is actually really good (and I don't usually like rum)

Starters: nice selection of oysters, grilled octopus (only thing we didn't like--overly charred and mushy texture)

Entrees: lobster roll, crunchy snapper and roasted halibut. All very good; crunchy snapper was my favorite, really nice with the lemony spinach and slightly spicy sofrito. My brother is a bit of a lobster roll snob and declared this one to be very good. His only criticism was the open-face presentation.

Sides: wood grilled brussels sprouts were outstanding

Dessert: we tried the fried apple pie w/caramel ice cream. It did not suck.

Service: very friendly and accommodating; some pacing issues. The restaurant seems to be suffering from too much success too soon--but they acknowledge it, which makes up for a lot.

Atmosphere: very lively and bright; there is not one shred of evidence that Mars was once in that space.

Second time, lunch on Thursday (5/7): crab cake appetizer was fantastic; soft shell crab BLT was good too. Noticed that the lunch portion of fish plates is exactly the same as dinner portion, but at much, much lower prices (e.g., snapper is $14 lunch, $23 dinner)

Third time, dinner last night (5/8): we were a party of 6, ordered almost every appetizer; entrees ordered included bouillabaisse, grouper, prime strip and prawn. Everyone liked what they ordered. The entrees took a very, very long time to get to the table. However, the manager came over to apologize--twice--and we were in a forgiving (aided by wine [​IMG] ) mood.

Once they solve the pacing issues with the service, I would recommend it highly. I think the prices are a bit high (I would feel better if everything was about $2-3 less) but for the overall experience, I don't mind.