PETA just showed up...

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by George Bailey, Jan 2, 2019.

1. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Dion - I like the photo shop of UGa dawg prominently displayed at the top corner of HF page.

• Like Like x 1
  2. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

I thought toward the end he was so worked up, he would blow a gasket and have a heart attack!!!

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

foster2.jpg

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Just heard that PETA messaged the HORN 104.9 station and want to come on the radio to "explain their position". Bucky Godbolt said he wants them on the show. I hope I don't miss this one!! Could be epic!

5. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Dion
    Priceless :hookem:
    Love the look on BJ's face. Very LONGHORN like

I hope the snowflakes do not win on this but it would not surprise me if they did.

• Like Like x 1
  6. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

I suppose then, my question is ... other than prohibit having Bevo on the sideline ... what do you suggest?

No, of course we don't want a mascot who is likely (LIKELY) to endanger people ... and we do not and we have not ... but if we're going to use that as the standard, there are many PEOPLE who'd be prohibited, too, who are currently on the sidelines.

We've already identified the cause of the incident and the person(s) who were at fault. So, correct THEIR behavior. Perhaps the Spurs can send their list of needs/considerations/restrictions in ... triplicate?

It's called "calculated risk." If one expects zero risk to be assumed, then stay home. This includes your referenced woman who was knocked-down.

But even suggesting Bevo needs to be drugged is an offense. It's as likely as not, the handlers on duty got complacent. This Bevo was raised with 'em and Mr. Baker's bunch has spent MANY MANY hours acclimating the Anchor T son (I don't recall Bevo XV's registered name at the moment) to game day noise. I'd say they've done an excellent job. I won't state unequivocally there's no room for any improvement ... but let's get real about the cause. STOOOPID people.

• Like Like x 1
  8. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

If the woman is gored then all that you said doesn't matter. It wasn't enough.

9. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

So you have no suggestion ... just inflaming a situation for (what purpose?)

As I said ... calculated risk. The University and its associates are indemnified ... all of that has already been addressed.

The only "stick" you have is the public opinion, and you seem to be willing to throw gasoline on it rather than water.

10. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I'm just telling you that if Bevo had gored her then it would have been a huge story. Your calculated risk is just that; yours. It's easy for you to take it because you're not involved. That's my opinion.

11. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

How do you know I'm not involved?

That's irrelevant to what you're raising anyway.

A huge story? It's already a huge story. We have to deal-with idiot people at our stockshows ... and guess what, people DO get injured ... and they accept the risk when they choose to be near the livestock.

While this wasn't a livestock show, per se, the issue is the same and all those near Bevo were there ... by their own choice. He's not an aggressive animal, but he does have his instinct ... the dog was a BAD idea ...

So a respect for the beast is warranted, not fear. You're fanning fear by the implication that the "huge story" is something to be avoided (at all costs) ... which means the only suggestion is to cancel the live mascot program.

12. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

No, you've arbitrarily chosen who's at fault. Perhaps the reason they felt it was safe was Bevo was locked in his pen. Maybe they were told that by someone with knowledge of the situation associated with UT. I don't know and doubt you do either. Your experience working with cattle doesn't necessarily apply here.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  13. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

If "arbitrarily" means understanding what happens when you mix potassium nitrate, carbon and sulfur together ... then yeah, my declaration of fault is arbitrary. SMH!

Someone had a lacking knowledge and I expect they don't lack that knowledge any longer.

his pen??? LOL greater evidence of ignorance.

And who's being arbitrary ... presuming the UGA handler(s) were told by ... anyone ... let alone a UT representative ... it'd be fine to put the dog in visual of a bovine in those conditions?

My experience with cattle absolutely applies here. Don't be a goof. Not only cattle, but Texas Longhorns, and not only Texas Longhorns, but halter broke exhibition far from the ranch and before thousands ... and in parades with all sorts of non ranch happenings.

The original suggestion included, as you did with your "perhaps they were told" ... a "perhaps we need to train Bevo" ... or "perhaps this animal isn't up to the task"

A steer who follows his handlers through dry ice smoke into a screaming DKR. Yeah, that's a wild/crazy/killer .... give me a break. I heard they were working on that and the first time I saw Bevo do it .... I was awed. He did it ... THEY did it. Showmanship, indeed. My hat's off to the Bakers and their trainers. Another great example of the Texas Longhorn's docile nature in spite of what those unknowing like to "conjure."

IDK why IDE is so padlocked with bystander on this. Having the live mascot is a great tradition and OUR live mascot is the best EVER. This incident shouldn't affect that tradition iota. Sad that we have whineys on here but evidently we do.

Go suck some tofu, perhaps you'll feel better.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  14. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

Just FYI .... there was this occasion with Reveille and Bevo ...

couple of major differences ... Bevo is HOME ... unconfined ... and Reveille ... is in the bed of a pickup.

Also note Mrs. Baker's comments, reflecting her concern about how the two would react to one another, despite being in a relaxed environment.

Knowledge ... it's a thing.

Bevo Hosts Reveille At Home For First Time Ever

15. I_Dont_Exist

Comparing a chemical formula to a living creature is laughable. More later.

16. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

clearly you missed the point ... here's my shocked face ...

KNOWLEDGE.

IT'S A THING.

I could have gone into a dissertation about how planes fly but thought I'd appeal to the greater animal in me who likes explosions!

:p

17. I_Dont_Exist

As to my referring to it as pen instead of the more correct whatever it's called who the hell cares? Thats like correcting someone it's linguine not spaghetti. More later.

18. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

not your nomenclature ... your apparent expectation that there was a retention device.

That wasn't to keep Bevo IN ... it was to keep non-authorized OUT.

See ... knowledge. It's ok to lack, but know when you lack and resist addressing with any presumed credibility.

19. I_Dont_Exist

And you need a structure to keep someone out? Can't speak for anyone else but I have enough knowledge to know you don't antagonize an animal that can kill you.

20. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

evidently.

I'd be more impressed with recognition this isn't your wheel house as you continue to take your Case pocket knife, whittle a word or two away from the referenced post and then apply errant presumption to it.

Do I need it? No. But that's the purpose behind the panels which are placed together, both at the Sugar Bowl ... and DKR. They aren't retention devices as you suggested "making people feel safe." They are to mark where people are to STOP.

I appreciate that you'll avoid antagonizing an animal which can kill you. Knowledge ... there you go. You're smarter than the UGA handler.

• Like Like x 1
  21. I_Dont_Exist

I quoted your entire post. What words did I whittle out?

22. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

really?

you address one phrase/word ... and with errant understanding. I wasn't addressing administration/operation of the BBS. Of that I will defer to your undoubted superior ability because I recognize mine is quite limited.

23. I_Dont_Exist

Yeah,really. I'm not required to address every point every time. And I never claimed to be an expert in the field thereby rendering your claim i'm not moot.

24. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

DwPDDczWwAA7Kli.jpg

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

you could attempt to demonstrate a bit more understanding ... reading for comprehension perhaps ... of that to which you do respond.

Or not ... like you say ... you're not required to do so.

Carry on.

Back to point ... This was an unfortunate incident whereby demonstrated ignorance and lacking understanding of livestock exhibition was manifested.

Our mascot is outstanding ... I mean this particular animal. He was raised in a show barn with a lot of "non-ranch happenings" as I've characterized previously and has raised the bar for bovine everywhere. I guess I'm failing to underscore what an achievement it is to get one of these animals to do the dry ice entry without absolutely losing all control. it's a testament to the breed, the breeding program, this animal's raising in particular, and his training beyond the show barn.

We don't do dry ice smoke entries into the show ring (where the steer cannot see where he's being led.)

So, lettuce repel any discussion/suggestion of fault/liability to The University, the Silver Spurs, or to Sunrise Ranch/company about what should happen. Those with greater detailed knowledge on this event will attend to it with my full confidence.

those who insist on depicting Bevo as a wild unpredictable beast need to "squawk standby" (be quiet) ... for they are showing their ignorance.

26. I_Dont_Exist

So you accuse me of me of partially quoting a post to further my point and turn around and do the same thing. That'll earn you a lot of respect.

27. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

NO sir ... try to keep up ... I've been critical of your addressing one point in a post ... and doing so with errant understanding.

NOT whether you quote the entire post. mercy.

I'm beginning to think I'm posting to one of my fence posts.

28. I_Dont_Exist

Personal attacks are the last resort of the weak-minded.

• Funny Funny x 1
  29. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

I am at my last resort with you, hot dog. you're either trolling and I'm failing to sense that ... or you're like my fence post and just dense.

rinse/repeat as necessary.

30. I_Dont_Exist

Like I said. The weak-minded.