phoenecia bakery

Discussion in 'Around Austin' started by CaptainEd, Jan 22, 2008.

1. CaptainEd

CaptainEd 1,000+ Posts

a schawarma, bag of sea salt & vinegar chips, and a bottle of coke makes for a great lunch.

looks like their deli has some great feta that I'm going to have to try as well.

anyone else like this place?

2. TheTresLeches

TheTresLeches 250+ Posts

I love it. Everything is pretty cheap also. Their roast chicken sandwich is awesome.

3. Anastasis

Anastasis 1,000+ Posts

Big fan. I like their schwarma, the gyros, and the falafel. The Tabouli is decent, the grape leaves are ok but taste like they come from a can. The cucumber yogurt is too runny. Lebneh and cucumbers should be much richer and thicker. Still a good place to grab a quick bite for a reasonable price.

The olive selection is superb. Also, next time you are there, try the French Sheep Feta from the deli. Or the Bulgarian. Rich, creamy and not overly salty. You will never be able to eat the Athenos **** they sell at HEB again.

4. TheTresLeches

TheTresLeches 250+ Posts

The French sheep feta is awesome and about 1/4 the price of Whole Foods or Central Market and better than their stuff.

5. Used2btexaslover

Used2btexaslover 250+ Posts

Freaky. I was there for the first time ever at the exact time you posted this.

6. CaptainEd

CaptainEd 1,000+ Posts

haha.....the burnet location or s. lamar? i left the burnet store about 5 minutes before i posted this.

7. Used2btexaslover

Used2btexaslover 250+ Posts

Burnet.

I was pulling a cart with my toddler in it.

8. TXSNOS

TXSNOS 1,000+ Posts

baklava [​IMG]

9. rtchorn

rtchorn 250+ Posts

10. TheTresLeches

TheTresLeches 250+ Posts

I wonder if you could just buy a whole loaf of gyro meat from them. That'd be funny to stick on a grill rotisserie and serve at a tailgate.

11. CaptainEd

CaptainEd 1,000+ Posts

12. rtchorn

rtchorn 250+ Posts

13. utexas_61

utexas_61 500+ Posts

i frequent the phoenecia in houston frequently

14. KaiserSoze

KaiserSoze 250+ Posts

15. rtchorn

rtchorn 250+ Posts

16. crayon1973

crayon1973 500+ Posts

I go there all the time. That place rules.

17. KaiserSoze

KaiserSoze 250+ Posts

18. KaiserSoze

KaiserSoze 250+ Posts

19. utexas_61

utexas_61 500+ Posts

20. El Sapo

El Sapo Bevo's BFF

They have very inexpensive Yerba Mate as well.

21. Texoz

Texoz 1,000+ Posts

Good stuff there. Another small Mediterranean bakery/deli opened (last year? or 2006) in the strip mall a little farther north. It's decent as well. It's called Sarah's.The Link

And across the street from that is a good Mexican bakery (with great/cheap breakfast tacos).

Toss in Upper Crust and you've got some great bakeries on Burnet Road between 45th and Northloop.

22. GakFoo

GakFoo 500+ Posts

23. KaiserSoze

KaiserSoze 250+ Posts