pick any 10 day period going to Hawaii; when?

Discussion in 'On The Road Again' started by zork, Jan 6, 2011.

1. zork

zork 2,500+ Posts

I have a bunch of vacation time coming up that I am eligible to take pretty much any time of the year. I'm thinking of taking the family to Hawaii.

Wife, two kids(both under 5) and myself will be going.

When would you go?
    Where would you go?
    Price is a consideration but I would like a nice kid friendly place.

2. zork

zork 2,500+ Posts

is there no best time to go to Hawaii? How about a time of year to avoid?(rainy season?)

3. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

how about Autumn during whale watching season? So I say Halloween or a couple of weeks earlier.

The Link

4. bevo barry

bevo barry 500+ Posts

I asked various locals that question once...they all suggested September; the start of school prevents lots of families from traveling to the islands, and thus Hawaii is less crowded .

But wasn't it September when Iniki hit Kauai years back?

5. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

6. JohnnyYuma

JohnnyYuma 500+ Posts

I've found the best time to go to get the cheapest airfares and hotels is early December. Lots of people go at T-giving and Xmas and early Dec is a real dead period. It's too early for whale season but that's the only negative I can think of. We went last month and the weather was perfect. Late May and early Sep are pretty good times as you avoid the summer vacation folks.

As far as kids, we found the Hilton Hawaiian Villiage to be very "kid friendly" on Oahu. The Hyatt and Marriott on Maui have great pools and activities for kids. Hilton at Waikoloa on the Big Island was terrific. We stayed there this past trip. Haven't been back to Kauai since the big storm, but I'm sure it's fine.

Look into renting condos and you'll save a ton by cooking breakfast, etc in the room. Most of the big hotels a very expensive for food service.

7. Garbage

Garbage 100+ Posts

whale season on maui is from now until early april.

stay in lahaina/kaanapali area.

do not miss out on a bicycle ride down haleakala, a 10,000+ foot volcano. the most exercise you get on this 30+ mile ride is squeezing the brakes...watching the sunrise while you are looking down on clouds is amazing!!

8. msdw24

msdw24 1,000+ Posts

Last time I went was early May of 05. Stayed at the Westin on Maui and loved it. Drove to the north side of the island and went snorkeling and saw some dolphins on our own...was really cool.

I would excpect airfare to start increasing in price with this run up in oil prices

9. Endust

Endust 500+ Posts

went to maui once in early march. it was pretty quiet (other than the canadians) and still got to see the whales (which if you give a **** about nature, you gotta see).