PITCHING

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Chop, Feb 28, 2023.

1. Your Wrong

Your Wrong 500+ Posts

Daly needs a rest to regroup. He really is playing a pretty excellent SS. Obviously Pierce believes in him. He flashes then Pierce moves him up in the order. He’s not playing great offensively, but it’s been two awful series that have done him in there.

I do believe that if you believe in a players skills that you simply can’t relegate them full time to the bench. You do need to work others in at some point though until that player works into their groove. In Dalys case, his defensive play warrants him full time in the lineup when the rest of our team is going well.

2. Your Wrong

Your Wrong 500+ Posts

Well you know, players kinda do get fired these days. It’s just a tad different.

In the last three weeks, I’ve seen 4 games live. Morehouse had terrible body language. Not the attitude towards coaching but a frustrated, beaten and lacking in confidence body language.

Pierce likes his stuff. And he should.

3. Your Wrong

Your Wrong 500+ Posts

He’s also allowed homers at double the clip of any other pitcher on staff. If he’s on, you could extend him beyond one inning. If guys are getting on him early, then that might be an indication it’s not his day. From a stats standpoint, I’d probably throw out his game versus OU as an anomaly.

In BU and TCU games, he let guys on and gave up homers. I know the BU homers were off righties, not sure on TCU.

4. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Morehouse will bounce back, it's just a matter of when. His "stuff" is way too good for him to just sort of fade away.

he got some work in late relief today. 5/7

Last edited: May 7, 2023
  5. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Here's something that may be going on--and it's not just us, it's probably most college programs.

Scholarships are limited, and many players are on partial scholarships of varying percentages. This isn't because UT's athletics dept is going broke. Rather, it's NCAA mandated. College coaches (all of them everywhere) will make mistakes from time-to-time and not give a scholarship, or only give a small % scholarship, to a player who turns out to be a stud on the baseball diamond. Sometimes, those players will bail (Gavin Kash). And sometimes coaches will give bigger scholarships to players who don't pan out. That's pretty obvious. With the system set up the way it is, it's bound to happen frequently, just about everywhere.

The problem is when (consciously or sub-consciously), the Coach lets the scholarship %s and scholarship $ doled out factor into which players get playing time, and how much. The internal thinking may be an attempt (consciously or sub-consciously) to prove themselves right--prove that they gave the scholarship $ to the right guys.

College coaches have to be on-guard against this sort of thinking seeping into their brains like a gelatinous acid that erodes clear thinking on who should play, and how much.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

That would explain why it appears (to me at least) the pitchers are putting themselves above the team.

• Hot Hot x 1
  7. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

There is no "I" in TEAM.

[​IMG]

8. Your Wrong

Your Wrong 500+ Posts

There ain’t no “We” either.

9. TXSNOS

TXSNOS 1,000+ Posts

I think the number of scholarships per sport are likely a factor of Title lX compliance, but in the times of NIL it seems like we should be able to move past that and fund full scholarships for all teams.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

M stands for money.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Well, as long as everybody's giving 110%...

[​IMG]

12. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Even Gordon can have a lousy night on the mound.

13. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

If both Gordon and LBJ are on, we can match up with anyone out there in a Regional or a Super. (Maybe not Wake Forest—their pitching is on a higher plane than everyone else this year)

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

LBJ

ERA 2.53
    WHIP 1.19

:ut::ut::ut:

15. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Lucas “Geno” Gordon

ERA 2.65
    WHIP 1.12

16. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

So, Gordon is no longer the top pitcher in the Big 12 per the stats book.
    :confused2::confused2::confused2::confused2::confused2:

LBJ IS!!!!!!!
    :clap::clap::clap::clap:

17. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Yep. It’s official. Per the Big 12 webpage.

LBJ and Gordon are now the #1 and #2 starting pitchers in the conference.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

If the Burkes, Toles, Hurleys, Whiteheads, Lummuses, etc step up, I really like our chances—even as a 2 or 3 seed. I wouldn’t want to see TEXAS drawn in my Regional if I was some other team. These 2 top starting pitchers (LBJ and Gordon) can slow down, or even shut down, some really good offenses when they’re on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Outstanding player development by Coaches Pierce and Williams with both LBJ and Gordon.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

20. Your Wrong

Your Wrong 500+ Posts

Did not dig into the details but Wake gave up double digits today.

• Hot Hot x 1
  21. Your Wrong

Your Wrong 500+ Posts

Agree. We can piece together a 3rd game. But we need several guys back in the fold. We need our hitters to heat up collectively and carry us some. I’m still hopeful a little warmer weather creates more offense for us.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

out of the big three, LBJ, Stehle and Morehouse, LBJ looks to have finally broke through with two strong data points indicating as such. Would have loved to see the other two do it as well, thats what I was counting on and why i had such high praise for this team pre-season for making it to Omaha. They can do it but Daly is going to have to pull his weight offensively while the rest don't also fall off the map. Big day for Witt today, if we can get him back on track, last week was so so in the short period he pitched but getting Witt back is probably pretty crucial to a good run.

23. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Yeah. Mitch needs to step it up a bit.

At the plate, Jack's been decent, not bad, good enough, pretty average for a 2nd baseman. I wouldn't categorize Jack as a weak link. And Thomas is hitting lights out now. Daly's been slumping for a long, long time. Hope he breaks out of it in the playoffs.

24. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Yeah. I bet if the records books were searched deep enough, you could even find a fair number of bad games by Gibson, Koufax, Dean, Glavine, R. Johnson, etc.

25. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

I don't know what Coach has in mind for the #3 starter at this point. Maybe give Zane Morehouse another look at starter?

26. Your Wrong

Your Wrong 500+ Posts

When we get to regionals as a 2 or 3, we win the first 2, then we use that bullpen depth.

For the supers, we simply win the first 2.

Then on to the CWS. We win the first two then you have the option to start over again because of the delay. Or we let the losers bracket chase and have our top guy ready in game 4.

As I’ve said, Sthele pitched 3 shutout innings in the clincher at the regional last year. Then you had Stevens start game 3 versus ECU.

We fell apart in the CWS. That included our starters. Our pitching staff this year still has far more upside than last years.

27. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

I am worried about games 3 and 4 in the regional.

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. WJHorn

WJHorn 25+ Posts

If a coach is putting proving that they were right about scholarship allocations before the team winning games, they shouldn’t be coaching anywhere - and especially not at Texas.

• Hot Hot x 1
  29. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Not to be Sigmund Freud or Frazier or anything, but it may be coming from the subconscious, and not even be voluntary.

Or it could be a delusional belief, that strongly contradicts the evidence, where a coach really does believe pitcher X (6.50 ERA 2.05 WHIP) is better than pitcher Y (3.00 ERA 1.15 WHIP) (same # of innings against basically the same competition). "Pitcher X really is good, he's just been in a slump/rough patch ... (a rough patch that's lasted all year...)"

[​IMG]

30. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

A W is a W.