PL “Big 4” Holiday Season Fixtures

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by George-Best, Dec 20, 2007.

1. George-Best

George-Best 100+ Posts

Gameweek 18Saturday – December 22
    Tottenham @ Arsenal
    Portsmouth @ Liverpool

Sunday – December 23

Everton @ United
    Chelsea @ Blackburn

NOTE: Any result is possible in any of these games. The Everton fixture frightens me as a United supporter. Spurs are playing better, although they never beat Arsenal. Ewood Park is always a test, although Rovers are in shite form. Liverpool MUST beat Pompey. Liverpool only has 3 wins in 8 PL matches @ Anfield (Derby – 20th, Fulham – 18th, Bolton – 16th), while Pompey has the best away record of any team in the PL (6 wins in 9).

Gameweek 19

Wednesday – December 26

Aston Villa @ Chelsea
    United @ Sunderland
    Liverpool @ Derby
    Arsenal @ Pompey

NOTE: United and Liverpool look set for full points here and Chelsea should win at the Bridge, although Villa is not a pushover. The interesting match is Arsenal-Pompey. Arse have struggled on the road as of late. United may be top of the league after this week if they can get the tough 3 points against Everton.

Gameweek 20

Saturday – December 29

Newcastle @ Chelsea
    United @ West Ham
    Arsenal @ Everton

Sunday – December 30

Liverpool @ City

NOTE: United lost this fixture last year, but I don’t expect the Hammers to start a streak. I expect United and Chelsea to pick up 3 points, although Newcastle is playing better of late. Arse and Liverpool both have brutal away fixtures. Dropped points from both would not surprise me. Remember that City is perfect in the PL at Eastlands this season.

Gameweek 21

Tuesday – January 1

Chelsea @ Fulham
    West Ham @ Arsenal
    Birmingham @ United

Wednesday – January 2

Wigan @ Liverpool

NOTE: Easy finish to the brutal holiday fixture crunch for all of the Big 4. Any dropped points here is a big let down.

SUMMARY:

United need to be on top of the table by the end of the holiday campaign. They have arguably the easiest schedule of the Big 4 (although Chelsea’s isn’t very difficult) with only one legitimately tough game, which is at home. Anything less than 10 points would be disappointing and a clean sweep is really not an unreasonable expectation.

Chelsea have the next easiest schedule and, despite their injuries, I would imagine that their point expectations are the same as United’s.

Liverpool has two easy wins (Wigan, Derby) and two tough fixtures (Pompey, City). They really need to match the performance of whoever is at the top of the table at the end of the 4 game slate (i.e., if Arsenal take 12 points, Liverpool must take 12 points). Any more dropped points are disastrous. Pompey is the key fixture. Win that and Liverpool has a good chance to sweep all four. Lose or draw and things could get very ugly.

Arse have three brutal fixtures. N. London derby followed by matches at Pompey and at Everton. If Arse wins two out of those three plus West Ham, then they will have firmly established their title credentials. I would not be surprised to see them trailing United by 4 or 5 points after the January 1 matches.

2. hornfanuk

hornfanuk 100+ Posts

3. George-Best

George-Best 100+ Posts

It is a fantasy football term, one that is used by the pl website.

feel free to read it as matchday if you prefer

4. naked_bongo

naked_bongo 500+ Posts

5. George-Best

George-Best 100+ Posts

Likely, no. Laughable, absolutely not.

United WWWW AND

Arse WDLW or WLDW or LDWW or LWDW or DLWW or DWLW =

Four point United lead.

Look at what happened to Chelsea last year. They drew 3 of the 4 holiday fixtures (Reading H, Fulham H, Villa A) while United won 3 and drew 1 (Newcastle away).

The key matches are this weekend as Everton could draw or beat United, which would prevent it from happening. However, if United win and Arse draw Spurs, the scenario almost becomes probable because United should win its remaining fixtures and Arsenal would still have two very difficult away matches.

6. hornfanuk

hornfanuk 100+ Posts

Matchday isn’t used like that either, but I don’t want to argue semantics, especially when I agree with your general sentiments. [​IMG]
    This is always a key period in the title race. The condensed schedule in bad weather tests player fitness and squad depth and the momentum effect from one game to the next is exaggerated.
    For United have games like Derby and Wigan in there really help. They can afford to rotate the squad a bit without jeopardizing points too much. But if Arsenal do that away at Pompey and Everton they could easily suffer a let down draw (though probably still not a loss).

7. Longhorn Tim

Longhorn Tim 250+ Posts

8. 89Horn

89Horn 25+ Posts

Hmm. Ok. I agree that Man. United have a much easier path over the next month, but if the argument against Arsenal is that they will slip up because the club has been poor on the road as of late, well you just don't follow the club then. Arsenal struggled against Boro (L) and Newcastle (D) on the road - without Fabregas, Flamini, Van Persie, and Hleb. They're all back now. If you are lumping in the two away Champions' league and Carling Cup (which was a W at Blackburn with a full reserve squad on the field and bench) games, let me give you some names, Song, Denilson, Bentdner, Diaby, Diarra, Walcott, Senderos, Traore, Hoyte, and Randall. Let me state the obvious, Wenger either rested or didn't have all his A team players available. Just like when Man. United didn't have several key first teamers against Bolton and Roma.

Don't think to predict what Arsenal will do on the road in the next few games based on the last 6 weeks or so. The A team players are flying high in confidence and don't think they are just gonna kick back and coast knowing the Mancs are nipping at their heals. Man. United may indeed get straight Ws across the board, we'll just see what happens.

9. Carlitos_Tevez

Carlitos_Tevez < 25 Posts

Goodison and Fratton Park are tough places to get results when those teams are average. This year they are both as good as they have been in many a year. Those are tough fixtures, particularly when they immediately follow two London derbies.

I expect Arse to get 9 or 10 points.

10. 89Horn

89Horn 25+ Posts

^^^^
    I'll give you Goodison. Everton has been on a tear, especially at home, until their stupid 88th minute penalty today. But Portsmouth has not exactly been convincing at home. They have more wins on the road (6) than at home (2). Yes, I know they drew with Liverpool and Man. United back in Aug. and Sept., but they have only earned 3 points at home in the last three months. We'll see how Pompey does at home mid-week after getting rocked by Liverpool. Again, we'll see what happens.

Big Results:

Liverpool 4-1 Portsmouth
    Pompey didn't have a chance from the first quarter of the match on.

Arsenal 2-1 Tottenham
    The first half was a yawner, but the second half was typical of a North London derby. As is typical, Tottenham just finds a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Fabregas' back heel to Adebayor on the goal was nice. Bendter's header was nails. Robbie Keane? Berbatov looked like he wished he could be at Old Trafford, notwithstanding the goal. Sorry Sp*rz.

Man. United 2-1 Everton
    Everton did well to withstand Man. United, and were within minutes of extending their unbeaten streak, but for Pienaar's stupid challenge on Giggs.

By the way, I had no idea Robbie Keane and Pienaar were related. Here's a picture I found of them:
    [​IMG]

11. Carlitos_Tevez

championship level fortitude from both Arse and United.

impressive performance by Pool

12. C.L. McLovin

C.L. McLovin Guest

The game on the 29th twixt City and Liverpool crushes me as it always does. On a scale to 10 I love City a 10 and Liverpool a solid 9. Harsh. That game will mean a lot for both and likely more for City fighting for a European spot. But every game matters for teams up in that area. Ugh.

13. 89Horn

89Horn 25+ Posts

I'm immensely impressed with what Sven Goran-Eriksson has done with City so far. City is indeed in the thick of it for Europe. I continue to be excited about the way this season has gone so far. It appears there will be close chases for the top spot, the Champions League spots, and the UEFA Cup spot.

By the way, I hear that Jens Lehmann has attracted interest from City because of talk that Isaksson may want to depart in January.

14. Carlitos_Tevez

United and Liverpool are likely to rest some key players in their away matches against relegation strugglers Sunderland and Derby in preparation for their more difficult fixtures on the weekend.

Arsenal need to keep playing their first team as they have to travel to Pompey. Chelsea simply have to play whoever is healthy. They are a banged up side and Villa may pose a stern test.

Pompey have fallen off form a bit in December and I expect Arsenal to pick up all 3 here. If anyone drops points on Boxing Day, it is likely banged up Chelsea.

15. George-Best

George-Best 100+ Posts

Massive fightback from Chelsea. Down 2-0 until Zat Knight got sent off. Now up 3-2.

What a game at the Bridge. Laursen equalizes for Villa and Carvalho then sent off for a bad tackle on Agbonlahor.

Ballack scores with a free kick in the 88th minute.

Ashley Cole sent off for clearing a handball off the line in the 90th.

Barry slots home from the spot to draw level in the game of the season.

Amazing game that was pure PL. Tough result for Chelsea as they will be without both Carvalho and Cole for the next 3 matches and they are already without Terry not to mention the two dropped points.

16. George-Best

George-Best 100+ Posts

The commentator said it all with respect to the United-Sunderland match:

“Even at 4-nil the scoreline doesn’t flatter them (United).” Complete domination with a lot of backups. Sunderland is awful.

Rooney and Saha scored simple early goals against lax defending before Ronaldo settled it in first half injury time with a brilliant free kick. Saha added a late pen to finish the scoring.

Giggs, Tevez, Evra, Anderson and Hargreaves all got the day off while Ronaldo (55th) and Vidic (72nd) came off early for rest ahead of the remainder of the holiday schedule.

Looks like Liverpool got a late goal from Gerrard to salvage their season at Derby. Too bad.

Arse later today.

17. 89Horn

89Horn 25+ Posts

No surprise with Man. United. Was Keane resigned or outraged? Gerrard saved Liverpool from an embarrasing loss at Derby. Man, I wish I could have seen that Chelsea-Villa game. Hopefully, the Gunners won't disappoint this afternoon. Finishing up work to get home in time!

18. George-Best

George-Best 100+ Posts

Definitely resigned. I would be surprised if they didn't go down along with Derby.

Both are championship-level sides.

19. George-Best

George-Best 100+ Posts

Arsenal held 0-0 at Fratton Park by Pompey. Sounds like it was a fair result.

Arse played its best side which could take its toll @ Goodison on the weekend.

The weekend fixtures will be huge as United, Arse and Liverpool all head on the road to play top-half sides.

An interesting tidbit: United plays Portsmouth during the group stage of the ACN.

20. 89Horn

89Horn 25+ Posts

Well hell. That sucked. Great atmosphere though, and both clubs had their chances. Rosicky came within inches in injury time. I guess we should just crown Man. United now. [​IMG]

21. George-Best

George-Best 100+ Posts

it has been a hell of a run.

14-1-1 in the PL in the last 16 fixtures.

22. LondonOllie

LondonOllie 250+ Posts

Hello glory hunters.

Hope you enjoyed your football this weekend.

Arse, lucky really to get a win against Spurs. Had Keane not missed the penalty....well....who knows.
    We deserved at least a point and after the displays I have seen from Tottenham recently, I think that we are heading in the right direction.

Arse drew last night. Tough place to play right now at Pompey.

Mancs, doing well. No surprises against Sunderland.

Chelsea, stuttering right now. Missing Drogba for sure. Also having Terry out does not help.

Scousers, don't quite cut it at the very top. Couch's mental kamakazie two footed lunge the other day was crazy. Funny to watch in a way, because he is so lanky.

23. Hornin Hong Kong

Hornin Hong Kong 1,000+ Posts

24. George-Best

George-Best 100+ Posts

That note was in reference to the first series of games where Arse, United and Chelsea were fortunate to come away with all 3 points.

Once again, another HUGE weekend in the PL. One of the many things I love about the Euro leagues. Each game is incredibly important but isolated bad results aren't necessarily destructive although they always feel that way.

United goes to Upton Park to take on a top half West Ham side. The Hammers have not played that well at home this season, but United have only taken all three points in 4 of their 12 PL visits to Upton Park. Definitely a "bogey ground" for United.

Arse heads to Liverpool to take on Everton. Some have said this is the best Everton side in 20 years. United was fortunate to end their 13 game unbeaten streak this past weekend. Yakubu is in good form and they have solid players across the park. Arteta's availability will be key in this game as he pulls the strings for their attack. Very frightening match for Arsenal. Probably the most difficult fixture any of the Top 4 have during the Christmas period.

Liverpool head to City on Sunday. City has a perfect record at home and this one should also be a cracker. If Liverpool plays like it did against Derby, it will drop points. If it plays like it did against Pompey, it will end that unbeaten streak. Liverpool is way too inconsistent IMO to win the title.

Chelsea are just decimated by injury and suspension. Given the impending ANC, they needed to sweep their Christmas schedule. I have basically written them off as a title contender but they are nothing if not resilient.

Should be another great weekend where ANY RESULT is possible.

25. 89Horn

89Horn 25+ Posts

Ha, ha! Glory hunting here since the late 1980s George Graham days when 4th-6th place was the norm and an erstwhile championship or a 10th-12th place finish was not out the question.

Agree with G-B's assessment above. I'm puckering right now going into the Everton match. WHU lately seem to leave one of the big four with a frustrating draw or a loss, but Man. United should pull out a W. Sorry Scousers, but I see City winning this weekend. Chelsea? I don't what to say. Tottenham will continue to climb from the bottom part of mid-table against Reading. Is it one or three points though?

I was starting to get further nervous about losses coming with the ACN. Looks like Arsenal will lose out Toure, Eboue, and sing a Song. With Van Persie back, Hleb can drop back to the LM winger spot to cover Eboue's absence. Togo didn't qualify so Adebayor stays in London (he was giving Togo the finger anyway). Djourou is being recalled from Birmingham to vie with Senderos for Toure's spot. Otherwise, Gilberto can drop back to CM as well. Gallas will have to stay healthy now more than ever!

26. George-Best

George-Best 100+ Posts

I don't see the ACN being that big a deal for Arse outside of CB.

Toure is a Top-5 CB in the PL and whoever replaces him for those games will be a significant downgrade. Eboue does provide Arse's MF with some much needed steel and it will be interesting to see if they get run over a bit w/o him and Toure.

They will definitely miss Fulham (A), Tottenham (A), and Newcastle (H) and possibly City (A) and Blackburn (H).

BTW, United play Reading (Sonko, Bae, Bikey), Pompey (Lauren, Traore, Diop, Muntari, Utaka, Mwaruwari, Kanu), Spurs (Zokora) and City (none) during the ACN.

Another interesting scheduling note . . . after United plays West Ham this weekend, they will have played 7 of the other top 8 teams in the table away. Only Chelsea remains.

Arsenal still has to travel to Everton (this weekend), United, Chelsea, and City.

Liverpool still has to travel to City (this weekend), Arsenal, United, Chelsea, and West Ham.

All three still have Spurs away as well.

Check out these schedules:

Manchester United

3/22 Liverpool (H)
    3/29 Villa (H)
    4/1 or 4/2 CL Quarterfinals First Leg
    4/5 Boro (A) OR FA Cup Semifinal
    4/8 or 4/9 CL Quarterfinals Second Leg
    4/12 Arsenal (H)

Arsenal

3/22 Chelsea (A)
    3/29 Bolton (A)
    4/5 Liverpool (H) OR FA Cup Semifinal
    4/12 Manchester United (A)

Liverpool

3/22 Manchester United (A)
    3/29 Everton (H)
    4/5 Arsenal (A) OR FA Cup Semifinal

It is unlikely that the Arse/Liverpool match will take place on April 5 as one of Liverpool or Arsenal will probably make the FA Cup semifinals, although neither did last year.

27. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

I have an auto-alert system to notify me when City loses, especially to Spurs. It comes from the Far East. [​IMG]

28. DeadHeadHorn

DeadHeadHorn 500+ Posts

Ronaldo misses a PK and the Hammers score 2 late goals to beat United 2-1.

Arsenal down 1-0 after a scrappy Yakubu goal, nodding in after a terrible clearance attempt off a corner. 27th minute now and Arsenal look utterly useless (though to be fair, they're without van P and Ade).

29. 89Horn

89Horn 25+ Posts

Arsenal did look utterly useless, but still won 4-1. Boy, that bogey at WHU just seems to rear its ugly head against at least one of the top 4 every year. Quite a rollercoaster, but Arsenal regain the top spot.

30. HogsSuck

HogsSuck 25+ Posts