Places to sell art online?

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by Hellraiser97, Sep 9, 2007.

1. Hellraiser97

Hellraiser97 500+ Posts

My wife is an artist and was interested in seeing if there was any market for her paintings. She asked me to put it up on ebay to see what it might fetch, but I'm thinking that might not be the best place to display it to the crowd that might be interested in it.

So anyone know of sites that cater to aspiring artists?

Thanks

2. BrûléeOrange

BrûléeOrange 500+ Posts

My first thought is Craigslist. Also, many local small restaurants will let artists use their walls to not only decorate their dining rooms with your artwork, but provide the opportunity to sell it. Good way to get your name out there.

3. miguelito

miguelito 250+ Posts

A friend's mom paints a lot, and she's put her stuff up in restauants and cafes, as mentioned above. She has also contacted local gallery owners and had week or month-long showings there. I'm not sure what they might charge to show your stuff there.

As far as online, maybe get a website of her own? I wouldn't think that ebay or CL would bring in as much $$ from serious buyers, but maybe it's worth a shot to start out.

PS Is she good? Let's see some samples!

4. Hellraiser97

Hellraiser97 500+ Posts

5. BrûléeOrange

BrûléeOrange 500+ Posts

This thread would be worth more with pics. [​IMG]

If she sets up a website, how will you get people to check it out? Advertising?

6. UTinBigD

UTinBigD 250+ Posts

ebay has a huge art/painting selection. I have bought several paintings from various artists in the last year or so.

It is organized very well between different styles/medias etc...

You never know who will like it, but it seems there are a lot people bidding out there. I mainly browse the modern/abstract stuff. You can get original paintings for cheaper than the mass manufactured stuff.

I would browse the ads and try to copy/emulate the better ones. It would probably take a little work to get it set up.

7. washparkhorn

washparkhorn 2,500+ Posts

8. schnarkle

schnarkle 500+ Posts

Etsy is perfect for this type of thing.