Plasma or LCD or DLP??

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by zork, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Endust

Endust 500+ Posts

unless you have cataracts, buy an LCD.

go to your local big box retailer.

if you can't tell the difference between plasma and lcd, then buy the plasma.

2. DCLonghorn

DCLonghorn 1,000+ Posts

3. HornGrad'01

HornGrad'01 250+ Posts

4. SMDhorn

SMDhorn 250+ Posts

If you want the brightness of a plasma from a LCD, there's the Samsung LN-T4665F. It has a glossy coating which provides higher contrast than normal LCD surfaces, helping to produce more true blacks - something LCDs (especially the cheap ones) are not very good at.

We just got the non-glossy version of that Samsung, the LN-T4661F, and it's a great TV. No complaints at all, and a perfect HD picture.

The Samsung models with LN-Txx61F and LN-Txx65F have been regarded as some of the best LCDs to hit the market yet, arguably beating out Sony panels that cost much more. Samsung is also getting ready to introduce some newer LCDs which may incorporate LED backlighting, and some other technologies, and they're definitely going to be $$$, but they may cause the price on their other TVs to drop.

5. DCLonghorn

DCLonghorn 1,000+ Posts

6. Hellraiser97

Hellraiser97 500+ Posts

My Phillips Plasma can get some bad glare on the screen, but I have it set now so that it's minimized.

As much as I love the flat panel, I'd get a DLP if I had the room. I really think the picture is better.

7. DCLonghorn

DCLonghorn 1,000+ Posts

8. DieUCLA98

DieUCLA98 500+ Posts

Anyone who claims DLPs are better than LCD's or Plasmas are greater than DLPs or any sort of statement to that effect is just making a totally unfounded, naive statement that is entirely opinion and 0 fact.

Every TV looks better to some than to others. There no set equation out there that will prove one tv is "better" than another. Its whatever you like best. Personally, I like DLPs the best and I seem to be in the minority here, but hey, whatever. Its my eyes that I need to please, not everyone else's. Furthermore, if you are using Best Buy or Circuit City or any of the big box retailers to base your opinions, you aren't getting the full picture. Those stores will have some TV calibrated and some not (depending on what reps have paid a visit to the store). A calibrated TV will, in nearly all cases, dramatically improve the picture.

/rant off.

9. Hellraiser97

Hellraiser97 500+ Posts

10. Anastasis

Anastasis 1,000+ Posts

What is the best HD set is very situational. For some rooms a LCD might be best, for others a plasma or a rear projection. For some a front projector throwing out 120" 1080p image is going to pwn all. Its simply impossible to make any blanket statements when it comes to HD sets.

11. HornGrad'01

HornGrad'01 250+ Posts

Everyone has an opinion. But I am far from naive.

DLP sales are declining and manufacturers are exiting the technology in rear-projection application. I guess there will always be the minority camp that loves them, but they are a dying breed.

Also, make sure you are comparing apples to oranges as well. On the basis of resolution alone, you can't compare a 1080i/720p plasma to a 1080p DLP.

12. DCLonghorn

DCLonghorn 1,000+ Posts

13. SMDhorn

SMDhorn 250+ Posts

My problem with DLP (and most rear projections sets) is that if you're too far above or below the screen, the image changes. It's vertical viewing angle leaves a bit to be desired.

If you're truly hard core about your video experience, you'd get a front projection setup, preferably with a 3 chip DLP projector, and a good quality screen.

For sports and such, plasmas, DLPs, and LCDs with a fast response time will all be fine. It all depends on your budget, where the TV is going really. Some people can't afford a large or fast LCD, or they may not have room for a DLP.

14. wild_turkey

wild_turkey 250+ Posts

15. HornGrad'01

HornGrad'01 250+ Posts

Both of your sources reference the same study.

Around CES, there were a number of articles - NY Times, Journal, CNET and at least another I read all citing other independent surveys (more than one), studies and market research that said just the opposite.

And I never said anything other than in rear-projection applications. Read my post.

For the record, I am not bashing DLP or DLP owners. I am merely stating an observation or two. To each his own opinions. But, the fact is that DLP technology is selling in large-screen format because of price, not because it is "sexy" or the superb format for image recreation (which is ironic, given you'll likely replace the bulb 2-3 times over the same viewing life as a panel costing you as much as $1,000).

If we get to the root of my argument: that almost NOONE will prefer the PQ of a DLP to a plasma + take price out of the equation (because panel tech WILL get cheaper and that is the PRIMARY driver for sales of DLP sets in large formats) = I will bet you my plasma AND LCD panels that DLP loses that battle.

16. DieUCLA98

DieUCLA98 500+ Posts

17. wild_turkey

wild_turkey 250+ Posts

18. SMDhorn

SMDhorn 250+ Posts

Just another thing to note- when LEDs become the standard for LCD panel backlighting, they will have better color and deeper blacks. Just don't expect them to be cheap for the next 2 or 3 years.

19. HornGrad'01

HornGrad'01 250+ Posts

You guys are too funny!!

What do you get when you put three TV owners on a thread? You get four opinions.

Only time will tell. Let's agree to disagree and revisit this exact thread in 6-9 months (post-holiday season/super bowl) and see what we have.

For the record, I own 2 plasmas, an lcd panel and a dlp microdisplay television. I can compare all three under the exact same conditions. Guess which one is in the guest bedroom collecting dust?

[​IMG]

20. DieUCLA98

DieUCLA98 500+ Posts

I own two out of the three: LCD, DLP, Plasma....

Guess which one I don't own. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

21. SMDhorn

SMDhorn 250+ Posts

You know, if weight's not an issue, you can always pick up a CRT HDTV. I think they top out at around 32 or 36 inches, but hey, it's proven technology... [​IMG]

22. shambala14

shambala14 < 25 Posts

Laser. In a few months.

23. hlaustin

hlaustin 250+ Posts

Damn I just got back from a weeks vacation and this thread is still going.
    Actually plasmas can be used at high altitude, the problem that they had with them was a very loud buzzing sound. That has been worked out.
    When any of you are ready to drop your money on a new set let me know and you can come by the store and I would be more then happy to help you out. If you are in Austin.

24. DCLonghorn

DCLonghorn 1,000+ Posts

Harlan,

Do you guys carry the Samsung LN-T4665F? If so, what are your thoughts and how do you like the shiny screen? This and the Olevia 747i are the only LCDs I would consider buying so don't start calling me a fanboy!

Also, do you guys carry the Panasonic TH-50PX77U?

25. SMDhorn

SMDhorn 250+ Posts

26. DCLonghorn

DCLonghorn 1,000+ Posts

Yes, I also have the Samsung 4661 on my list of LCDs to look at. I wonder what Samsung was thinking when they chose to replace the matte screen with a shiny screen? It seems to contradict the reason why people purchase LCDs in the first place, the reflection.

I presently have a 42" Panny plasma and it has the most beautiful, detailed picture of any that I've seen. I've been looking to purchase a new 50" plasma before the upcoming football season and I've heard really good things about the new Panny (77U) with the anti-glare screen. Even though I love my plasmas picture, for 2 hours each day (4-6 pm) the reflection is almost unbearable.

Unfortunately, I don't think that it's worth the $3K to pay for an LCD that is only 4" larger than what I have now, especially with a shiny screen.

Does anyone know if there is LCDs over 50"?

27. SMDhorn

SMDhorn 250+ Posts

The reason for the glossy screen is for higher contrast, and deeper blacks. People relate the screen to having contrast and black levels of plasma sets, but they also say that its surface is shinier than most plasma sets as well.

They do make &#62; 50" LCDs, but they are $$$, and I'm pretty sure your every day TV store doesn't usually carry them.

We got our TV from Best Buy, and if the price goes lower than we got it in the next month or so (60 days from purchase), they'll match it.

If you want a LCD, and you don't want the shiny screen, or don't want to pay as much for the shiny screen, but don't mind paying more than you would for a comparable plasma, the 4661 is not a bad deal.

28. SMDhorn

SMDhorn 250+ Posts

29. hlaustin

hlaustin 250+ Posts

DC
    We have both Samsung units in the store and I have spent sometime playing with both. They are both pretty good units, I am sure everyone will start throwing out their cnet reports and avs stuff with what I am going to say, but the Sony XBR is a much much much better panel. From fast motion, a much better focus, better blacks, and much whiter whites. The only downside to the XBR is the speakers on the side. It may run a little more in some stores, but we are actually cheaper on the Sony XBR then the 65series of the Samsungs. Take this for what you want but I have spent a good amount of time playing around with a lot of TVs and if you are to buy an LCD to me you buy a Sony XBR.

30. SMDhorn

SMDhorn 250+ Posts

To each his own, I guess. The Sony's are very good sets indeed, but I wasn't as "wowed" with them, I guess. That, and the price...

Just out of curiosity, how much is the Sony KDL-46XBR2 going for?

I'm sure you'll be happy with whichever set you choose to go for.