Play calls after the turnover

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by NRHorn, Sep 13, 2014.

1. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

gahornphan - being a long time fan of Blazing Saddles, I LOL'd at your photo shop. [​IMG]

2. Bayerithe

Bayerithe 1,000+ Posts

link

this link is about the same as I thought. only thing i would have changed was the play call on 2nd down. after a successful 5 yard run on 1st down, you could probably assume we'd run it again, so they'd attack heavier at the line, knowing another run would probably be coming. blocking takes time to develop in that zone read play, so they should probably have lined up in the pistol with more downhill blocking and running. would have been a better option than getting blown up in the backfield.

I stick to my opinion that running time off the clock was secondary to getting the 1st downs we needed.

3. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

I agree, but we should have done the one (which we could have accomplished without resistance, except we failed to even try) while also trying for the other.

4. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

My point in making this post was that I know there is ample time left and I realize the punt return makes this moot.
    I saw an article by Barking Carnival that is very critical of anyone who disagrees with the hurry up decision.
    You must put yourself in the moment Mr. Carnival. You need both, time and first downs, what sense does it make to make a quick first down (i.e. in 40 seconds) only to go 3 and out the next three hurry up plays?
    Do both, take your time and do both. That should have been the goal. At least taking your time somewhat accomplished one.
    My whole point is settle down your QB, a hurry up leads to mistakes (its a risk/reward), plan the play and execute just to get 3.5 yards. Not 2 plays and then are forced into the decision of throwing the ball.
    Get one first down, S L O W L Y Then the worst case is run three more plays, leaving UCLA (with a backup) with a minute and a half or no time outs who you now have forced into running a hurry up he is not prepared for.
    I love the new coaching staff and I know we are going to be okay in a year or two if the little Red McCombs will just go away and come back later and jump on the bandwagon.. This is just an observation and I still stand firmly behind it.

5. Bronco

Bronco 500+ Posts

Not a ton to add but the play calling and execution of those plays was just dead wrong. I can absolutely guarantee that the UCLA coaches and fans were ******* gleeful watching that series unfold. I'll bet the coaches couldn't believe it.

But, the benefit of the HUNH at that point in the game is ONLY to keep the defense from substituting. Nomwaynwe were going to sneak a hurry up play in there at that point. The defense was on point as they had to be. There is no reason you can't have swoopes take the clock down to zero before snapping. Further, if we take the time then UCLA has to use their timeouts. This gives Texas the chance to discuss the situation and talk to the players and swoopes and punt team etc. everybody gets to take a break and relax a moment at UCLAs expense.

6. gahornphan

gahornphan 500+ Posts

If we had milked the clock and punted, same run back, same TD pass on the first play, the "experts" would be complaining, "why the hell did those IDIOTS run all the time off the clock so when UCLA scored, our offense didn't have time to do anything? Our offense was CLICKING with the HUNH, why change?"

7. 84 Horn

84 Horn 500+ Posts

I like the hurry up and wait offense myself. You line up and stance quickly and then stand up and call a play and snap at 5 seconds left on the play clock.

You get the hurry up to keep the same defense on the field plus you milk the clock.

If you end up with an incomplete pass at least you burned a half minute.

8. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

9. djack

djack 100+ Posts

Have not seen it mentioned but if you liked the hurry to start the series, then you should realize it lost its value when it became 3rd and long. Take your time and get your very best play on 3rd down. Maybe even call a timeout. That was botched.

My preference would have been to look for a game clincher on 1st down. Max protect with play action. Two man route, maybe three. Regardless of what most want to think, it does not take that long to get the ball downfield. Certainly, the more time you have the more accurate you will be.

Coaches are generally idiots. K State obviously had a great defensive game plan versus Auburn, but they continually messed their drawers on 3rd down in the second half. Gave up the inside pass lane for multiple first downs in the second half then jump the last one. I think if K-State drops their safeties but inverts them with the corners Auburn runs the ball. Their stupid alignment gave Auburn their best chance at conversion.

The single deep safety in college football may be the single dumbest thing out there. On UCLA's game winning TD, what was Hall going to stop? Not a damn thing. I saw Tennessee with a single deep safety when Ford caught the ball and ran 30 yards or whatever for a score. My fear is that Bedford is too big a fan of it.

I wanted Strong here, but I am a little disappointed thus far. I think we get drilled for a 2nd game in a row if Hundley does not go down.