Player Management 2017-18

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by Dr. D, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Dr. D

Dr. D 250+ Posts

If I'm Jordan Holmes and I saw tape of the McDonald's All-American Game, I'm going to be in the gym the next six months shooting 500 threes a day. There's going to be quite a lot of talent and ego competing for minutes---at every position. Hope they can keep everybody happy. The current transfer mania is a cautionary note. Also I would love for the staff to tinker with going "small" by putting Booth and Holmes on the floor with three guards on the floor.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

My suggestion for this off season is for EVERYONE to join Brooke and RUN, RUN, RUN !!!
    It's for EVERYONE to be ready to play 50 minutes per game.
    CONDITIONING, CONDITIONING, CONDITIONING!!!

• Like Like x 3
  3. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I know it was an innocent mistake, but let's try to get our players' names right -- "Jordan Hosey" and "Joyner Holmes"; there is no "Jordan Holmes" . . . :smile1:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Dr. D

Dr. D 250+ Posts

OK, If I'm Joyner Holmes and I saw a tape of the McDonald's All American Game, I would be in the gym for the next six months shooting 500 threes a day.

5. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

It would be nice to see Joyner hit some threes but I'd rather her work on that jump shot from the free throw line and the elbow.

• Like Like x 4
  6. RBarabino

RBarabino 25+ Posts

Joyner doesn't have to worry about playing time if she stays focused.
    Besides her shooting, I would like for her to focus on shot selection as well and staying attentive on defense.

7. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Joyner's midrange game was better in high school. It almost seemed to be as if she were having some trouble adjusting to the upper body strength acquired on the 40 acres. I whole-heartedly feel she'll be fine if she keeps working hard.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

We as fans probably have different ideas of how we think an individual Longhorn hoopster should develop while in college versus how they perform on the court in actual games.

What I mean by this is that I wanted Joyner Holmes to play more down low and shoot nothing by layups and putbacks as that would have helped the team get through some scoring droughts and perhaps win a few more games. Selfishly, I didn't want her to be shooting mid-range jumpers as those just aren't high percentage shots for her; while she'd hit a few now and then, the opponent was happy giving her those shots versus trying to get closer to the basket before shooting.

But, what I want doesn't help Joyner develop as a player and prepare her for a professional career. I can only assume that based on what types of shots she makes consistently in practice, those are the shots the coaches are fine with Joyner taking in actual games. It could be that what she is doing in practice just isn't yet translating to actual games as her consistency isn't there. Perhaps next season we see her having more success with her mid-range shooting.

As for her 3-pointing shooting, I think she made one this past season (last second shot against NC State). She attempted one early against Stanford (ill-advised, IMO), and maybe a couple more during the early part of the season. I could be wrong on those numbers. To "develop" and make herself a more draftable player for the pro leagues, this is an area where she has work to do if she wants to be a stretch-four power forward (like Tina Thompson). But, there's also the chance that she just doesn't become that type of player. Could be that at some point she has to accept that she is more of a traditional power forward and strive to establish position down low.

I realize our roster listed Joyner as a G/F, and she does have some good handles for a player her size. But, just because a player is listed as a guard (like Brianna, I think), that doesn't guarantee they are a good mid-range shooter.

There have been comparisons made between Joyner and Nneka Enemkpali, but I think that is based on strength and athleticism for a power forward. They are players with completely different skill sets, yet played the same position under Coach A. Don't recall Nneka ever stepping out to attempt mid-range jumpers. I still believe that if Joyner played down low as much as Nneka did in her career, she'd probably average 4-6 points more per game than she did this past season. But again, that is my selfish preference so we could get easy buckets when needed.

• Like Like x 2
  9. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

The reason I would love to see her improve her midrange jumper is the sagging defense you mentioned. If she could consistently hit from the free throw line area, her defender couldn't afford to sag and would allow the post player more one on one opportunities - great recipe for a very effective high-low game.

• Like Like x 4
  10. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

I think the fact that Texas wasn't a very good perimeter jump shooting team sometimes prevented Joyner from having the space and room to post up on the low block. But there's no question that she needs to improve on her low post back to the basket game. These are the things that Joyner needs to work on and improve in to be the great player that she has the potential to be.

. Conditioning
    . Her back to the basket low post game
    . Putting the ball on the floor and attacking the rim more and not always settling on the jump shot
    . Her 12 to 15 foot jump shot catching and shooting and off the dribble
    . Being more active on offense and defense/rebounding

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  11. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  12. Dr. D

Dr. D 250+ Posts

Toward the end of the article Boothe says the difference between her and Holmes is that she, Boothe, can play all positions, 1-5. "I can play point guard," she says.

She also once promised Texas would win two national championships while she's here.

13. Dr. D

Dr. D 250+ Posts

I'm happy we got Littleton. It makes the 2018 season and afterward much much better; but first we have to survive the phychological hazards of the coming one. Especially in this year of the Transfer Tsunami, everybody reading this knows the possible downside of all this talent. We will have ten McDonald's All-Americans competing for time, including six McDonald's All American guards, plus Jada Underwood, who has shown a lot of potential. I don't know if any team has ever had this situation. All these guys have been stars all their lives. They've owned their home gyms. Star players have big egos. Its one of the factors that drives them to succeed. Karen Aston will have performed a remarkable coaching job if this bunch makes it through next year with no major transfers. Then Atkins and McCarty graduate and things open up for everybody. Of course it's nicer to have this kind of problem than the other kind. The upside is tremendous. I personally think that if we had just had Patterson as a freshman this past season, that alone would have put us in the final four. The pressure is really on the players and staff now. Any time we don't make the Elite 8 or Final Four, or don't win the Big 12, or maybe even lose a big game, the knives will be out on fan forums all over America.

• Like Like x 1
  14. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

Can Coach Aston be as good as Auriemma? He always has previous high school stars on his team? Every year!! To me, that will determine whether or not this group of McDonald's All Americans can work together. The coaches have to make it work, and I don't think we have had one transfer so far. Am I wrong? We needed shooters on this team. Brooke was our only consistent outside shooter, and she drew the "box-and-one" defense so often, it was clear what the team needed. So, yes you are right. Pressure is on the staff now!

15. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Work never stops.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Dr. D

Dr. D 250+ Posts

Smart girl. There's going to be tremendous competition for minutes.

17. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I don't like the sound of this . . .

18. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

Wow. Hmmmm...

19. GameOfHorns

GameOfHorns 250+ Posts

Just happened across this on twitter. No links were offered to verify any news.

20. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

What the?? :whiteflag:

21. LutherIsMyDog

Who are our McD's AAs? Boothe, Patterson, Littleton, Sutton, Holmes, Higgs, Hosey, White, McCarty and Atkins. Is my list correct?

• Like Like x 3
  22. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

There was talk earlier this year that Rellah might not qualify to get into college. She would probably be the player that they're talking about.

23. LutherIsMyDog

Jeez.....I hope not.

24. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Qualification was my first thought if the tweet applied to an incoming player. Hope this is pure conjecture - all 3 of the incoming freshman checked a couple of team need boxes.

25. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

26. LutherIsMyDog

Raoul's tweet sounds more like a current player who is contemplating transferring. Not sure why he is tweeting about something that may not ever come to pass. I guess so he can say he was the first to tweet about it.

• Like Like x 1
  27. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

I doubt that it's a current player, we would've already heard or known about it by now.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  28. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

A few days ago, there was a post (rumor) on the UConn board that a recruit from the 2017 class might not enroll in their college, as expected. Nothing was ever confirmed.

• Like Like x 1
  29. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

Rauol, what is the line between being the first with the news and being a gossip spreader? At least, upon others' reactions, you identified it as a rumor.

• Like Like x 3
  30. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

For me this is what stinks about the news today. It's all about being first, not about being right, just first. Isn't fair to the players or us, Longhorn Nation. I don't like names being floated out there that may or not be true.

• Like Like x 2