Players are the ones who don't care

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by MajesticII, Aug 9, 2020.

1. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

Why Tom Herman needs to apologize to the Texas fan base and ALL college football fans !!!!!!!!!! His crappy accusations about fans only caring about players during games rings pretty sorry after seeing these players across the country opting out of playing to prepare for the NFL ( basically saying to hell with my school, team, and FANS....I'm only concerned about myself.) Texas players will start doing it too. Do I blame them ? No, but since that is how they feel, why should fans care about them past the game ? They don't have real pride and love for the school or its fanbase. Why should Herman shoot his mouth off about caring for players past the games ? He shouldn't have...and should come out and apologize for it. More fans probably care about the players more than the players care about the fans and the school.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Not sure how you're connecting Herman's comments to players opting out for the season. Like, players don't care about the fans because of their intent to withdraw, therefore, Herman's comments are misguided?

If you feel attacked by what Herman said, then reread it, and if you still feel attacked, then you might fall under his generalizations.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • poop poop x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
  3. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

I think it was a calculated statement by Herman in order to keep loyalty by the players. It seems to have worked. It might piss off a few fans but he's more interested in keeping the program together. Worth the risk. And it might be helpful in recruiting.
    Personally, I'm an easy forgiver (especially if I see a purpose) but some are not.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

11, I agree with you on the first part of this^^^^^^and do not share the poster's sentiment...though there is a hint of truth to what he says.
    But, personally, I thought Herman's words were very presumptuous and therefore offensive, for what its worth.
    The entire wording was very presumptuous for such a sensitive subject when speaking to an unknown audience. I didn't feel attacked...just unnecessarily judged and maligned.
    The fact that he said what he said at all and in the manner he did inherently indicates presumption on his part...and that is what was offensive to some.
    I understand why he did it and believe he was acting sincerely.. though in a calculated manner. I disagree with his method and manner, but am over it and do not hold it against him.
    Just my 2c

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
  5. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

I think his point is why does it matter if the fans care about the players or not because the players don't really care about the fans. We don't personally know them and care about wins, hoping they stay generally healthy and maybe graduate. They don't personally know us and only care about fans as long as we are loudly supporting them with full stadiums to boost their egos.

I'm not really mad about it, but I can see how some feel it is hypocritical to for Herman to suggest they lay it all on the line for us while we only care about wins. Especially when the fans are the ones spending lots of hard earned $$$ which directly supports the players being here in the first place. They don't do crap "for the fans", they do it for attention/popularity, getting laid on a regular basis by 10's and a potential payday at the end. Most don't even care about actually being in school...that's an inconvenience to many of them.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  6. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

I agree with you...
    I think 11s aim was to point out the fallacy in connecting coronavirus with the racism issue. I agree with 11 that they are two separate things, but do also believe hypocrisy exists.
    (Just dont believe coronavirus opt outs the best way to make the point and feel you stated it better in your own reply)

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

I agree that after a lot of thought, well played by Herman
    See Gary Patterson for a different take, no way I think Patterson is racist- that’s ridiculous...but still getting players on your side and for recruiting... makes sense and Herman did accomplish that probably more than anyone in D1.

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  8. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Are we talking about this TH statement?

Can the average fan relate? No, they can't. There's a double standard maybe a little bit. We're going to pack 100,000 people into DKR and millions watch on TV that are predominantly white — not all of them certainly, but most of 'em white. We're gonna cheer when they score touchdowns, and we're gonna hug our buddy when they get sacks or an interception. But we gonna let them date our daughter? Are we going to hire them in a position of power in our company? That's the question I have for America. You can't have it both ways.

And if you're going to cheer them and love them for three-and-a-half hours a Saturday in the fall, you better have the same feelings for them off the field, because they're human beings. They deserve the same amount of respect and human rights that all of us do in this country when we agreed on the social contract to be a member of the United States.”

Before I jump in with both feet I wanted to be sure...

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  9. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

That's the one. Didn't offend me.

• Like Like x 1
  10. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

We’ll see how the players respond and play for TH late in a big game. I think some will be surprised. He was trying to support his players during that difficult time. The statement wasn’t about us it was about them. He will be able to point to that quote the rest of his career. Watershed moment for the team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

You know what?
    The players reacted during a time of national unrest.
    Some things were changed.
    But I haven't heard a peep in quite some time.
    Seems to me everybody is just getting ready to play football.
    How about we all get over it until there's a reason to get upset again.
    Buncha sbowflakes. ;)

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  12. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

Yes, I was angered when I heard this originally. I still would have rathered in not been said, but I also feel like he was saying some truths there.
    And I assure you that I am far right here. Real far right.
    I feel now he looked big picture. Yep stings to stereotype me as a white guy.
    That said....
    I was hiring about three years ago, I personally contacted 3 historical black colleges. To say that I received no help on hiring thier graduates is an understatement.
    I finally spoke with one guy and he told me “ we tell them to look on Monster.job”
    I have had 0 African American applicants in 20 years- that I am aware of, for a sales position.

13. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

I absolutely agree, but he can't single out one side of the truth to tell the story.

I agree with this too, but I believe what he thinks is the big picture isn't thinking big enough. As the head football coach he has to be able to politic both the players and the fan base. John Mackovic alienated most of the the football boosters and fans while at the same time having almost zero connection with Texas HS football coaches and everyone hated him for it. The results were the Randall's $5 stampede zone and 50% empty stadiums because he couldn't recruit the players needed to win and fans were apathetic. I see Herman going down a similar but different path however he's been much better at recruiting nationally. Mackovic also thought he was smarter or better than everyone else and was arrogant about it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. IvanDiabloHorn

IvanDiabloHorn 1,000+ Posts

The arrogant sob told no truths. He is a football coach that gets to have no unfounded opinions about me or my family or my business. None.
    He should have been called to heel and apologize, but the administration is feckless.
    He is 1-3 against OU and that is where focus should be. He ain’t coaching against Stoops or Switzer.

• poop poop x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

NR,

If you want to hire from a traditionally black college, go to Florida A&M, the "black Harvard". but I'll warn you that you will be up against the Fortune 25.

Went there a few times, but only got one summer intern. Great guy, but he chose General Electric over us.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

I hear you, This is one of those topics for me that I can absolutely see opposing views because I was there and admittedly I’m still there a little bit, but with so much other ******** going on I’ve just decided to move on. But again I do get this

17. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

I know, and Ivan respect the hell out of you here, and I’m not saying what he did was right....
    But a leader backs his guys, you do that, and they will run through a brick wall.
    A year from now this is all forgotten except by the players who knew that he had their back. And that will carryover

• Like Like x 2
  18. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Seriously, though, which part of his quote is talking about you?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

NR,

I have to disagree. The $$$ will remember the players and the reckless, unprofessional way Herman handled it. That will not be forgotten nor forgiven.

20. IvanDiabloHorn

IvanDiabloHorn 1,000+ Posts

11, reread my post.

21. BurntOrangeLH

BurntOrangeLH 2,500+ Posts

Most "fans" only care about the athlete's ability to entertain that fan. Sad but true.

22. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Why is that sad? Do the players care about me?

• Hot Hot x 1
  23. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Only if you are one of their puppeteers

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. horninchicago

They are worshipped and glorified, so I don't get all the sanctimony from Herman and the other loudmouths around here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Orangeyman

Orangeyman 100+ Posts

Unfortunately, I agree that it will not be forgotten and some of that $ comes from me/mine. in my view, the phrase- "Fans can't relate" is a bit irrelevant. As a fan, I want to win. Ideally, I prefer winning with players that don't embarrass me and my university. I also prefer to have a leader (coach) who understands the only reason this university has the facilities, salaries, and other perks is because of the FANS. And, I would prefer said leader to actually comport himself at all times like a grown man. I might feel differently if the over indulged, semi-literate folks who "demanded" changes and got darn near everything they asked for behaved with some measure of gratitude.

• Like Like x 1
  26. horninchicago

Orangeyman good.

:beertoast:

27. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Here goes:

“Can the average fan relate? No, they can't.”

Relate to what? Being treated like Kings and having the world placed at their feet? You’re right. I cannot relate to that.

There's a double standard maybe a little bit. We're going to pack 100,000 people into DKR and millions watch on TV that are predominantly white — not all of them certainly, but most of 'em white. We're gonna cheer when they score touchdowns, and we're gonna hug our buddy when they get sacks or an interception.”

Is there a problem with this? Texas fans have been doing this since I began attending games in the early 60s. Those teams were all white.

“But we gonna let them date our daughter?”

This is a BS/cop out comment that has no relevance.

Plenty of parents don’t want their daughters dating “any” football players. Most of us understand why.

Plenty of Jewish parents want their Jewish daughters dating Jews.

Plenty of Hispanic parents would prefer that their Hispanic daughters date Hispanics.

Plenty of Black parents would prefer that their Black daughters date Blacks, not Whites. Is that racist?

Welcome to the real world.

Most parents prefer that their daughters date men that are of a similar background, religion and race. Why? Because marriage is difficult enough without additional challenges.

Herman made a stupid, inappropriate and racist assumption to appease his players. I thought he was smarter than that, but he isn’t.

“Are we going to hire them in a position of power in our company? That's the question I have for America. You can't have it both ways.”

More BS. He is suggesting widespread racism with respect to employment. I don’t buy it. In fact, MANY companies today make a special effort to hire AA because they believe that it’s the right thing to do. And sometimes they do it to the detriment of other, often more qualified candidates.

Few companies today wouldn’t be thrilled to have an AA on their board, or at at position of responsibility in their company. But to hire someone based solely on the color of their skin is as racist as not hiring someone because of the color of the skin.

“And if you're going to cheer them and love them for three-and-a-half hours a Saturday in the fall, you better have the same feelings for them off the field, because they're there human beings. They deserve the same amount of respect and human rights that all of us do in this country when we agreed on the social contract to be a member of the United States.”

Tom, who the hell thinks that they are not getting such respect? Ex players of any color are revered, treated like royalty, and given preferential treatment all the time.

Herman sold out, and threw the Texas fan base under the bus. He owes us all a massive apology.

I want him gone.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  28. horninchicago

^^^What he said.

29. Orangeyman

Orangeyman 100+ Posts

30. Orangeyman

Orangeyman 100+ Posts

100% agree.