Playing chicken with China

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by BrntOrngStmpeDe, Jan 23, 2017.

1. BrntOrngStmpeDe

BrntOrngStmpeDe 1,000+ Posts

The talk of taking concrete actions to stop China's land grab (or ocean grab) in the S. China Sea makes me a little nervous. I think something needs to be done, but I've got the impression that China was kidding about their intent to claim it and occupy it no matter what anyone else says.

2. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

Was or wasn't kidding? I think they are pretty serious about claiming ownership of the S. China Sea like Russia was with Crimea.

3. BrntOrngStmpeDe

BrntOrngStmpeDe 1,000+ Posts

wasn't.

couple this with our TPP actions and talk of new trade requirements, it could get pretty serious with China real fast.

4. Musburger1

Musburger1 2,500+ Posts

This is primarily about resources (oil and gas) and secondly about China exercising its claim as a regional power. And yes, it has the potential to become very serious. It's what the "Pivot to Asia" initiated under Obama was all about (in addition to inplementing TPP to freeze out China). Trump will evidently continue the "pivot policy." Just speculating, but Trump will probably use a tough military stance as leverage to negotiate some kind of energy deal. Or maybe not, but that's my best guess.

5. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

I'm with you on real concern with China over their constructed islands.

They seem dead set on doing as they say and willing to militarily oppose anyone who tries to stop it. I'm sure they've spent a ton on those projects.

I've heard China take a rational, measured tone on a lot of things the last few years, but this was something they sound deadly serious about.

• Like Like x 1