Point Guards for next year

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by Karen, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Karen

Karen 25+ Posts

Any thoughts on back-up point guards for next year? Sug will obviously start, but Chas doesn't seem ready, and I can't see who will be an additional bench PG. What are other people's thoughts on this? Point guards are usually my favorite players; they are just so scrappy and sneaky and fun to watch. I think it goes back my days watching Debbie Black with the Miami Sol.

2. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

I think we'll be fine for a few reasons. One we have a capable starter in place who doesn't foul a lot (that usually the hardest part), then you have to assume that Chaz will improve significantly with another off season under her belt and just the natural progression from your frosh to soph season. If there is no improvement, you have to remember that Lashann played pg in HS so she's capable of of playing that role a bit with there being plenty of options to back her up at the 2 spot. That gives us 3 solid options at the spot.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

I don't think you need to worry about Chaz not being ready for next year. She just needs to be thrown into the fire by getting the game experience. She will get that next year. She is tough as nails and has a burning desire to be successful! How can you put her on the floor very much this year with the depth and success we are having? She is going to be a Star for the Longhorns for several years to come.

• Like Like x 3
  4. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

I think Higgs will be the second point guard as she slides over from the 2 when Sutton goes to the bench. She has played like a 1 at times this year. With Taylor saying she is a 2, don’t think she will be an option. As fanforlife mentions there are several options for the 2. Patterson will get some time at 1, but there would have to be monumental improvement to be the legitimate back-up against good teams. In my opinion, Patterson will be a junior before she is the primary back-up. I am enjoying the last few games of tremendous guard play.....and the rest of the year. Don’t overlook this as next year will take some adjustment anxiety levels.

• Like Like x 1
  5. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

I agree with utfanforlife and Ellis21d about Chasity. She will be a reliable backup just like Alecia has been this season. Physically, she was the one frosh ready to play. Mentally, the PG responsibilities Coach Aston requires take a bit of time to learn. I would consider LaShann as the third option. Just my opinion, based on nothing but my expectations. :smile1:

We really need at least a combo guard, that like LaShann can play PG, either in this incoming class or in 2019, until Daje gets here in 2020.