Pointing Toward Prosperity

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by WashU-Horn, Oct 26, 2012.

1. WashU-Horn

WashU-Horn 500+ Posts

Krugman.
    The Link

"Well, as I’ve said before, Mr. Romney’s “plan” is a sham. It’s a list of things he claims will happen, with no description of the policies he would follow to make those things happen. “We will cut the deficit and put America on track to a balanced budget,” he declares, but he refuses to specify which tax loopholes he would close to offset his $5 trillion in tax cuts.

Actually, if describing what you want to see happen without providing any specific policies to get us there constitutes a “plan,” I can easily come up with a one-point plan that trumps Mr. Romney any day. Here it is: Every American will have a good job with good wages. Also, a blissfully happy marriage. And a pony.

So Mr. Romney is faking it. His real plan seems to be to foster economic recovery through magic, inspiring business confidence through his personal awesomeness. But what about the man he wants to kick out of the White House?"

2. dalhorn1

dalhorn1 1,000+ Posts

Krugman is a "bullshitter"...next topic, please.

3. WashU-Horn

WashU-Horn 500+ Posts

Krugman mentions a bullshitter in his article for sure.

"The point is that America is still suffering from an overall lack of demand, the result of the severe debt and financial crisis that broke out before Mr. Obama took office. In a better world, the president would be proposing bold short-term moves to move us rapidly back to full employment. But he isn’t.

O.K., we all understand why. Voters have been told over and over again that the 2009 stimulus didn’t work (actually it did, but it wasn’t big enough), and a few days before a national election is no time to try to change that big a false belief. So all that the administration feels able to offer are measures that would, one hopes, modestly accelerate the recovery already under way.

It’s disappointing, to be sure. But a slow job is better than a snow job. Mr. Obama may not be as bold as we’d like, but he isn’t actively misleading voters the way Mr. Romney is. Furthermore, if we ask what Mr. Romney would probably do in practice, including sharp cuts in programs that aid the less well-off and the imposition of hard-money orthodoxy on the Federal Reserve, it looks like a program that might well derail the recovery and send us back into recession.

And you should never forget the broader policy context. Mr. Obama may not have an exciting economic plan, but, if he is re-elected, he will get to implement a health reform that is the biggest improvement in America’s safety net since Medicare. Mr. Romney doesn’t have an economic plan at all, but he is determined not just to repeal Obamacare but to impose savage cuts in Medicaid. So never mind all those bullet points. Think instead about the 45 million Americans who either will or won’t receive essential health care, depending on who wins on Nov. 6."

4. Hookem123

Hookem123 1,000+ Posts

hahahaha it took obama 1,404 days to come out with a plan of any kind, even a bad one. Almost 4 years with no plan, no problem I gots Jay Leno and that cackle on the View.

5. crizistre

crizistre 500+ Posts

Paul Krugman has always been a big lefty. What a shocking article!

Please tell me how the stimulus worked. There is absolutely no proof.

6. DFWAg

DFWAg 1,000+ Posts

In other news, the Washington Post took the startling and out-of-left field step of endorsing Barack Obama. Wow!

7. Michtex

Michtex 1,000+ Posts

8. DFWAg

DFWAg 1,000+ Posts

9. NEWDOC2002

NEWDOC2002 1,000+ Posts

10. Bevo Incognito

Bevo Incognito 5,000+ Posts

11. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

12. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

13. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

As has been pointed out by much more intelligent people then most of the posters on this board, the tax loopholes will be negotiated between Republicans and Democrats. Romney will put his on the table and the Democrats will put there's, from there it is a negotiation. In a campaign you don't put your cards on the table before the negotiation begins.

If you would like a history lesson on how this works you can look at Reagan/O'Neill and Bush/Foley.

Quit spouting off that Romney won't tell you, because he doesn't know and won't know until the Congressional landscape is determined. He has his ideas and I am sure they have been vetted and at the time he will release his plan when he knows who the players will be. If it is a Republican Congress he will go in one direction if it is a split Congress he will go in another.

Basic common sense that liberals just don't quite get but then again they don't get a whole lot.

14. Leftwith

Leftwith 500+ Posts

Is there such thing as a moderate liberal anymore?

God knows the ones who post here are drowning in Koolaid. It's creepy as hell. [​IMG]

15. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

The minute you started this thread with the word "Krugman," I blew it off. His lifelong dream is to fellate John Maynard Keynes. I virtually couldn't come up with a more thoroughly discredited source for something than Krugman.

16. libertytxn

libertytxn 100+ Posts

Major,

Romney also proposed that the tax deductions may be flexible. Saying that taxpayers could elect which deductions they want to take up to a predetermined limit. I thought that idea was a good one.