Poll: Predict Our Bowl

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by LonghornCatholic, Nov 19, 2017.

?

Horns will play in which 2017 Bowl?

Poll closed Nov 26, 2017.
  1. Alamo Bowl vs PAC 12

16 vote(s)
    29.6%
  2. Texas Bowl vs SEC

25 vote(s)
    46.3%
  3. Heart of Dallas vs Big 10

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  4. Liberty Bowl vs SEC

4 vote(s)
    7.4%
  5. Cactus Bowl vs PAC 12

2 vote(s)
    3.7%
  6. Camping World Bowl vs ACC

6 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

Okay boys and girls, we going bowling! :headbang:

But which bowl will it be? :idk:

Enter your predictions. :hookem:

• Like Like x 1
  2. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Ahh dunn voted! :popcorn:

• Like Like x 2
  3. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

It really depends on what happens next week. There could be 5 or 6 bowl "swaps" between other conference members depending on its results.

There's most likely going to be a logjam of four 7-5 teams after we beat Tech, KSU beats ISU, etc. Assuming OU/TCU end up in the playoff and the Cotton Bowl, then I think it'd probably end up like this:

OK State - Alamo
    WVU - Camping World
    Texas - Texas Bowl
    KSU - Liberty
    ISU - Cactus

Could also see KSU/ISU flip between those, but I think if KSU won next weekend against them, bowl selection committees could see them as a better traveler.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
  4. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

Factoring that we will beat Tech, I could see us a hot team willing to travel, ( since we haven't bowled in a while).Voting Cactus or even somewhere else as an at large.

5. stevedallas

stevedallas 500+ Posts

Texas Bowl vs. Aggie?

6. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

The issue with Cactus is that they pick fifth after the "major" ones. I don't see us being the seventh team taken out of seven.

Now, if we lose to Tech, there's a possibility. In that scenario, it'd probably end up with Tech in the Zaxby's Heart of Dallas Bowl and us in the Cactus. Another thing to consider is that ISU doesn't travel. Since no one expects anyone to be in the stands for the Zaxby's one anyhow, they might bump ISU to there if they lose to KSU. That could move Tech to Cactus and us to the Texas Bowl again.

I kinda just don't want to go to Memphis. Liberty Bowl is in a bad neighborhood. Seems like the weather's always dreary for that game, like the snowed-out one A&M had against Miss State a while back. I wouldn't mind any of the other selections.

7. LousianaHorn

LousianaHorn Kabong

the snowed-out Aggy/Bulldog bowl was the 2000 Indy Bowl here in Shrevesburg........just hope yall dont end up here even though I would certainly love it!

8. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

No way sec and aggy will allow that. they are about to go through a coaching change unless a miracle happens. They will lose commits due to that and factor a loss to Texas as well, they want no parts of giving us complete control over the state again

• Like Like x 7
  9. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Only good thing about the Liberty Bowl is getting to eat at The Commissary.

If we get stuck in Phoenix, does the team plane have to reserve a seat for the ghost of Donnie Duncan, or was his "relationship" only with the Fiesta Bowl, which I'm sure is happier now with a two way split rather than a three way split.

10. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

If the Bowl gets to pick, after OU and TCU, Texas is the pick of the litter. Other conference teams may have had better seasons, but they lack the national attention and the enormous fanbase we enjoy.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Someone needs to start sending out pics of the coliseum from earlier this year.....oh wait, I happen to have a few. :yippee::yippee:

• Like Like x 4
  12. longhorn47

longhorn47 500+ Posts

No love for ribs at The Rendezvous?

13. longhorn47

longhorn47 500+ Posts

While the Cactus Bowl gets the leftovers, we San Diego (and I suspect LA) Texas Exes would travel to Phoenix to fill Chase Field like we did LA Memorial Coliseum in September

• Like Like x 1
  14. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

At least at The Rendezvous I don't have to anguish over which of the 12 things on the menu I want, while remembering that I am having at least three desserts.

Also could go by and get a photo of Johnny Ace's grave

• Like Like x 2
  15. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

NBC SportsTalk has Texas v. Washington State in the Alamo Bowl.

• Like Like x 2
  16. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Leach vs our secondary? Just when I thought all pinball machines had been scrapped.

17. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

I was pondering options and Leach U was one of the matchups that came to mind. I like the Pac-12 options such as Stanford (probably to big a reach), or AZ. The Big 10 options really don't interest me although I suppose Michigan would be a good draw. Iowa is boring...The SEC teams to which we would have access are not attractive. Now the ACC matchups could be intriguing if it were Vatech, GaTech or Louisville.

It'll be interesting to see where we end up, and against whom.

18. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

I always thought that there were back room dealings on these minor bowls with the conference, not a true order, but I could be wrong.
    We did the Texas bowl recently and got blown out. I figure we'd pass on it this soon.

19. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Projections for an opponent are fluid --

Arizona St
    Mississippi St
    Kentucky
    aggy
    Tennessee
    Utah
    Washington St
    UCLA

20. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

You can go ahead and cross Tennessee off the list.

21. El Torito

El Torito 1,000+ Posts

Given our various bowls we are in contention for, there is no better landing spot than the Alamo Bowl. Over the years, it has become a highly attractive bowl and generates very favorable press. Texas would get much better exposure than the other options and the holidays on the Riverwalk are a special San Antonio treat.

• Like Like x 3
  22. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Exactly.

23. HornDawg1957

HornDawg1957 100+ Posts

I think the Alamo would take us except for our proximity relative to the number of hotel rooms they’d be concerned about filling. Will Texas fans fill the hotels like, say, Oklahoma State? I think Okie State fills the stadium and has more people around for multiple nights than Texas would. If Washington beats Washington State next week, I think the Alamo will take the Huskies over the USC-Stanford PAC-12 championship loser and over Washington State. I think the Huskies travel far better than any of the other three fan bases.

If the Alamo passes on us, I think it’s Camping World, unless those bowl reps think they have a better chance of getting enough West Virginia fans there.

If not Camping World, it’s likely the Texas Bowl. I can’t see us falling all the way to the Cactus, though that’d give me (out here in the Bay Area) the closest venue, which might get me thinking about going.

24. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Don't want to face Wash St, but that's just me.

25. Olehornfan

Olehornfan 2,500+ Posts

You might be surprised at the number of Texas fans that would stay in San Antonio. I think they would pick Texas if they are 7 - 5.

Atlanta 2018

• Like Like x 1
  26. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

It would be a good matchup and a hot ticket, that's for sure.

27. LongChuckles

LongChuckles 25+ Posts

I'd like to see an intriguing opponent, but more than that, someone we can beat.

• Like Like x 1
  28. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Our secondary with Holton Hill, would have been the best Washington State has faced this year. If we have more injuries or losses of personnel, it could get a little dicy against Tech or Washington State.

29. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

I think our ability to mess with QBs would help us against Leach. Their worst game this year (Cal) was marred by a tricky pass rush and forcing the QB to make mistakes. I think that's one area in which we do very well. The problem with facing Leach is that his teams can't stop the run and we haven't run very well. We would need to come up with a new run-first scheme, but I think the coaches could probably try to put that together over the next month.

I also think the Alamo will lean more towards Stanford if it loses the CCG to USC. The chance to get Bryce Love up in there is hard to pass up. Wazzu to Holiday or Sun or Foster Farms if so.

A&M is tough to figure for matchups with us. I think Starkel (assuming he's healthy) is probably the 5th-best QB we would have faced in the regular season, and we lost to QBs #1-4. They have a better 1-2 punch at RB than most teams, but they have been misused for a lot of the season. Their punter is about as good as ours, so field position could be an issue. Believe it or not, they'd be the #2 total defense we've played this year, even though it doesn't seem like it. I think you'd probably see a sloppy game with turnovers deciding the outcome if we played them.

30. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Good analysis, but remember that the $EC allocates the bowls; not the schools. Unless the $EC has a real epiphany, there is no way they will let the any of their schools (even a 8-4 aggy team) play a 6-6/7-5 Big XII school for fear of losing.

• Like Like x 2